More important in choosing a CCW: Size Vs. Weight?

This is a discussion on More important in choosing a CCW: Size Vs. Weight? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've reached an unexpected conundrum in deciding which is the right gun out there for carrying everyday. I need to get something lighter than the ...

View Poll Results: More Important In A Carry Gun: Weight or Physical Size

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Physically smaller gun that weighs more, smaller capacity.

62 50.00%
  • Physically larger gun that weighs less, larger capacity.

62 50.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I've reached an unexpected conundrum in deciding which is the right gun out there for carrying everyday.

I need to get something lighter than the XD .45 I've been carrying for a while now. With a full mag it's quite heavy. Being a fan of the XD I thought their sub-compact would be the way to go when I discovered it's not a whole lot lighter than the .45, albeit smaller in dimensions.

Which lead me towards the Smith & Wesson M&P series. Much lighter and love the no manual safety like the Glock and XD. I thought for sure I wanted to get their 12 round 9MM when I held the Sigma 16 round 9MM. The grip was excellent and amazingly it felt light to me than the M&P with the shorter barrel. The guy behind the counter actually had a digital scale and I was dumbfounded to find out the shorter 12 M&P weighed more than the 16 round full grip version.

So the poll question I have is what's more important to you when it comes to an everyday carry gun. A smaller gun that weighs more and smaller capacity or a physically larger gun that weighs less with higher capacity in the same caliber.

Question: How often do you really need to pull that big heavy pistol? Maybe all the weapons you are considering are not practical for your situation.

I went with smaller lighter gun for better concealment. Depending on the area and risk assessment nearly all the time I only need small and light. P3AT from Kel Tec fits the bill a very high % of the time, and while it is only a 380 it goes bang every time and shoots to point of aim. If situation calls for it I just move up in caliber, size, and weight.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

I went smaller...which is what I do...smaller is easier to conceal.
    Less capacity...carry more mags...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

C. Usefulness in a fight.

Carry the gun you want to have in your hand when someone is trying to kill you. That's why you're carrying it, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post

Carry the gun you want to have in your hand when someone is trying to kill you. That's why you're carrying it, after all.
    Wife and i both carry P3ATs and both shoot well, however wife shoots better than me,

It would have to get really bad for us to move up in caliber and weight and size, and then we would use P3AT as BUG.

If someone was trying to kill me or wife we both feel adequately armed with small and light.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

The less it weighs the better to carry.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Given the two choices. Loaded weight with holster is what makes a difference to me. Weight is what makes the carry comfortable or burdensome over the long term. You can conceal anything. Just my opinion.

kpw
    I suppose weight is a factor for me but I've comfortably carried a 5" 1911 or a GP100 in the past. These days though, it's a Glock 19 that comes in around 30 ounces loaded. With 16 rounds, it's a couple ounces lighter than your XD is empty.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post

+1
    A brief post, but an excellent point.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Well... if a pistol is too heavy or big many times its a holster issue. You forgot to mention type which would attribute to shape. I carry a m&p45c around all the time and with the CTAC holster in the 3:00 position its not nearly as noticable as when I use to have a cheap OWB or uncle mikes holster.

Your CCW tool should be something you can shoot well and hide well. Size, weight and shape requirements will vary from person to person. It also depends on HOW you carry it. I have seen a 130lb. chick CCW a freekin desert eagle .357! She had a sholder holster that attached to her belt in several places. With a cover garment you honestly couldn't tell. The Limalife lady on youtube carries a full size 1911 with tight clothing. Yeah their... umm... features did a lot to help hide those big guns but it goes to show with the right holster you can CCW just about anything.

With smart carry and thunderwear you can CCW a whole heck of a lot.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I can't decide. My idea of size and weight is different from some people. And there seems to be a direct correlation. Smaller guns weigh less. But not all small guns are equal. I've seen .380s that weigh more than my G26. There would simply be no point in carrying that.
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

Medium size, medium weight, BIG BORE! G30 or Combat Commander.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    My attempt to answer your poll...

Here's my EDC choice: I can carry my Glock 27, (smaller and lighter) all day in an OWB pancake holster. It has decent capacity, 10 rds in the gun and another 10 in a + 1 mag on my side. In my opinion, I think this handgun type, Glock 26-27 is ideal meeting several requirements, size, weight and capacity.

In the colder months with a jacket or vest I will alternate carrying my XD .45 compact, 10 rds in the mag with an extra 13 rds on my side, OR my Glock 22 with 16 rds + an extra 15. They are not as comfortable, so I choose them depending how long I'll be out and about.

I had my XD before I bought the G 27 and it was the lighter weight of the Glock that kept me from buying an XD sub-compact .40.
    Proud NRA member

Although it wasn't an option on your poll, I went with small AND lighter. Since the purchase of my Kahr, my other guns see alot of darkness in the safe.

VIP Member
    I use to carry a full-blown custom 1911, a Glock 36 and many others’ and now a snub(s). I gave up the 1911 for its size on my frame was too hard to conceal. I gave up the Glock… for no good reason, and I settled on the 640 due to its reliability and inherent safety.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links