Selecting a Handgun for Defense: Part 1. Semi-Automatics

This is a discussion on Selecting a Handgun for Defense: Part 1. Semi-Automatics within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wow, JD, nice job! As to the .22 issue, a lot of the defensive guns in your flow chart (omg, you have a flow chart! ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Selecting a Handgun for Defense: Part 1. Semi-Automatics

Wow, JD, nice job!

As to the .22 issue, a lot of the defensive guns in your flow chart (omg, you have a flow chart! )have .22 conversion kits available. IMHO, that's the .22 people should be practicing with, as they learn their defensive gun at the same time. Perhaps that would be a consideration for newer shooters in selecting a first defensive gun, too?

2. Remove Ads

A very nice job JD, Well done.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Nice work JD....Thanks for taking the time and effort to put it together for all of us to go over.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Good read.

Although I do take exception to at least one of your fence sitting * choices. Maybe you will come around one day.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Good job. my only complaint is in your arguments for why some people don't like external safeties. You wrote:

The camp that does not like the safety uses the following as their main argument.
    A: You (this really means them) will forget to disengage the safety in a time of stress.
    B: It is faster to not have to fiddle with the safety.

I don't disagree with what you have. I do think that there are some (I am included in this) that think that with certain models, a good holster and proper gun handling that an external safety is superfluous. Remember revolvers don't have safeties either. "The best safety is the one between your ears" and "keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire" Kind of thing.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Great read... I PDF'd it to send to some friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    In fact, I did just that. I copied your post into my word processor, selected all-text, and then had my Mac read it to me as I continued on-line.
    Regards,
    Dan
    No need to even copy it, jut select all wanted text and select "Speech" then "Start Speaking". I don't know if this is a new feature in Snow Leopard or not, but never noticed it before.

I love my Macs. Best move I ever made, even more-so than my move from Canon to Nikon!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

You have to know your limits and strengths. I started with .45's way back when i was a teenager shooting bowling pins out of the pond and have never looked back. for a defensive , sd hg , there is nothing else i rather use. Size and weight is not an issue with all the choices.
    I recomend you rent a plethora of choices and pick one to become great with it. In a carry defensive hg that is. Specialize in it.

Excellent stuff JD! As an instructor I get asked this sort of thing all the time. You have captured it very well. I tried a couple of times, but didn't get to anywhere near the clarity you did. Well done!

JD as a new guy I want to thank you for the time and effort you put into this write-up. It was very informative.
    Thanks again
    Mark

JD (by the way I'm a JD also) -- Nice primer; hope you don't mind if I forward it to some of my newbie friends.

Look forward to your Revolver chapter -- this a an important of part to CC market, but it often overlooked, or least given short shrift. Thanks in advance.

2nd Amendment Deocrat
    Vietnam Vet
    NRA Dist. Life Member

a few things to consider

very well written, articulate, thoughtful, and easy enough to understand i might even direct a few liberals toward it. i'm very familiar with firearms, but i'd still recommend that as basic refresher material to anyone - using basic material like that is also very useful in the age of newer, bigger, badder subcompact handguns that can stop a charging rhino dead in its tracks or one-shot stop a violent felon hell bent on the destruction of everything you love. it will keep us centered.

having said that, there are a number of addendums i'd like to add to your piece:

1 - taurus is actually quite good. when it comes to subcompact and small revolver carry, this is a name i turn to. i accept no others in revolvers, and when it comes to the semis, the large autos are great. i actually like the beretta clones from taurus better than the berettas themselves. the small frame semis are a little more user specific.

2 - holsters. particularly for large frames, like the beretta 92 and clones, 1911s and clones, glocks, rugers, etc., i would recommend the blackhawk CQC leather holster. i carry this as my off duty holster for my duty issue glock 21. the holster breaks in easily, is form fitted to the sidearm and has a thumb break on the holster, is light enough that you almost forget it's on, and keeps it snug to your side. after i bought this one, i absolutely refuse to buy another high ride for full size autos other than this one.

3 - i don't believe enough can be said for having several different, well broken in holsters for each piece you carry, to aid in concealment, and to practice at the range with each one.

again, great article!
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined" ~Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotWarrior View Post
    1 - taurus is actually quite good. when it comes to subcompact and small revolver carry, this is a name i turn to. i accept no others in revolvers, and when it comes to the semis, the large autos are great. i actually like the beretta clones from taurus better than the berettas themselves. the small frame semis are a little more user specific.
    Welcome to DC.com!

I'd be wary of recommending Taurus pistols to people...especially new shooters. Why? I've read so many stories about "lemons" from Taurus. If you do a search on here, you'll see what I mean. I do not own one, but I did fire several Taurus revolvers and a Taurus Pt111. I started to consider one, until one of the snubbies FTF 3 factory rounds. It was soft striking every few rounds. I know the rounds were good because another revolver fired them without issue. Taurus have great prices, but it looks like their QC isn't up to great standards. I'd hate for a new shooter to get turned off because he/she got a "lemon."

Just my opinion. I'm no expert, I just read a lot.

true, except -

ninja -

absolutely true, with one caveat only: in the 80s and early to mid 90s, taurus was NOT one i'd turn to. since then, and in particular the 2000's, they've never let me down. the QC sucked for about 15 - 20 years, but there were enough complaints that they eventually got their crap together and began turning out a quality product. i'm a discriminating shooter, and it took me a long time to warm up to them again; but as a general rule, semis make me look towards springfield armory, revolvers to taurus. the large autos are awesome to me - particularly the PT92 and PT100. i'm not a fan of striker fired pistols, generally speaking, so i tend to stay away from the millenium series types of pistols, and that's why i say they are touch and go. i haven't used that line enough to make an informed decision since they began stepping up their QC. but as far as late production large autos and revolvers, i'm sold.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined" ~Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Huh, never though of that, and I though I was the stuff for making it into a PDF.
    That's nothing. I liquefied the article, injected it into my bloodstream, and now it's part of my DNA.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

Good read. Ive carried my Glock 26 for a little while now and yet to have found the "perfect" owb holster for it. I'm looking for riding tight, sitting low and comfy. If anyone has found that PLEASE LET ME KNOW!! :-)
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links