Selecting a Handgun for Defense: Part 1. Semi-Automatics

This is a discussion on Selecting a Handgun for Defense: Part 1. Semi-Automatics within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by JD Huh, never though of that, and I though I was the stuff for making it into a PDF. Talking about the ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Selecting a Handgun for Defense: Part 1. Semi-Automatics

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Huh, never though of that, and I though I was the stuff for making it into a PDF.
    Talking about the guns, when it comes to keep them at home, they are hard to tackle, how about having a pistol. Could you please guide me.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymph View Post
    Talking about the guns, when it comes to keep them at home, they are hard to tackle, how about having a pistol. Could you please guide me.
    Your message here is so extremely vague and half-baked, that it is basically meaningless.

Try to compose your thoughts into a specific question.

Great work. Thank you JD.
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

Good article.

All I can say is that I am totally blown away by all the information on DC !!!
    Unfourtunatly I have been home for several months now with back and hip issues. Since joining this forum in May I am just amazed with all the knowledge the people on this forum have. Like this thred I keep finding things like this that just keep adding to the things that I have learned from all the great people on this site. All the combined real life experience just makes you want to learn more and more. I have not read this much since 30+ years ago in high school, and actually retained. The people on this forum have made my venture into C/C less stressfull and much more educational then I ever expected. I feel more comfortable with my decision to carry then I would have without all the GREAT advice !! I have also started to do some training as a result of this site. Somthing I probably would never have done concidering I thought I was pretty knowledgable already.Made me realize I did not know as much as I thought I did.

AGAIN, THANKS TO EVERYONE AT DC AWESOME SITE!!!

Regards,
    Tom

JD - I know you wrote this several years ago, but if your still reading this thread, kudos to you. Nice work. Every gun shop should be required to have a guy like you behind the counter. I agree, make it a sticky for the top of page. (PS - based on your criteria of affordability I may have substituted Beretta or Ruger for HK on the top 8). Great read.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Great thread.

Yes,as neophyte not only doesn't have the skill but also the knowledge to even know which questions to ask. Just like what pistol suit for novice and how to appraise a pistol. Forgive our fledglings' fool question.

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by pistolero_lo View Post
    JD - I know you wrote this several years ago, but if your still reading this thread, kudos to you. Nice work. Every gun shop should be required to have a guy like you behind the counter. I agree, make it a sticky for the top of page. (PS - based on your criteria of affordability I may have substituted Beretta or Ruger for HK on the top 8). Great read.
    Agreed, I've changed it to the "Big 10" and added both.

Some great basic info all in one thread. I wish I had found this thread first. But, the inportant part is that you get all the information to make the right decision for you. I can see how your holster is as important as your pistol. I tried an inexpensive DeSantis Soft Tuk for my Ruger SR9c, and find it very uncomfortable and hard to use. I have just ordered a custom made holster from Jeffery Custom Leather. He hand bones them for a per model custome fit. I am looking forward to recieving it.

Very helpful info!

Wow, I searched the internet for days with questions about everything you wrote and here it is in one place. Wish I found it first. I just sent in application for cwp and am trying to figure out what to buy and all the dao/sa/jhp/acp/cal/blah/blah/blah is so confusing. I'm gonna try to print this article and study it when I have time. Thanks! =)

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Conidala View Post
    Wow, I searched the internet for days with questions about everything you wrote and here it is in one place. Wish I found it first. I just sent in application for cwp and am trying to figure out what to buy and all the dao/sa/jhp/acp/cal/blah/blah/blah is so confusing. I'm gonna try to print this article and study it when I have time. Thanks! =)
    You're welcome, make sure to go under "Thread tools" and select "Show Printable Version"

Very thorough and well done !
    Ok, now who are you and what Gun Magazine do you work for ??? LOL !!

Outlaw Guns and Only Outlaws Will Have Guns !!

Wow. Thank you, JD, for this excellent article and now we can share it with others. Thank you, Admin, for making it a Sticky so it doesn't get lost in all the threads.
    Don't ever tell me I can't do something... I will prove you wrong, or nearly kill myself trying. - LisaB
    My Blog
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League (LOCAL)
    NRA Member
    - Sig Saur P238 SAS 380 ~ Smith & Wesson BodyGuard 380

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    We'll I like both semi auto and revolvers.I use all my handguns for carry . PISTOLS: Glock17 ,ruger380,S+W 99,Springfield hicap loaded,don't Laugh Sigma 9mm fire over 2.5k not one jam! ,22 ruger mark 2
    Revolvers :Ruger security-six 357 stainless, Charter House 44 spl bulldog,weighs 21 oz empty ! ,22 cal revolver derringer,S+W Bodyguard 38spl w/lazer site,bobbed hammer.((this one you
    don't take to the range ange shoot more than 10-15 rounds.great carry revolver downside price $625,5shot. Most of these would be good for anyone starting out,except the 22's I've had one
    exceptional sigma for 10 years and one bad one for 3 days so it's a crap shoot with that brand .

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links