Taurus 709 SLIM stainless model review

This is a discussion on Taurus 709 SLIM stainless model review within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know there are other reviews for the new Taurus 709 SLIM, but here is my take. I got my 709 in stainless the other ...

Thread: Taurus 709 SLIM stainless model review

Taurus 709 SLIM stainless model review

I know there are other reviews for the new Taurus 709 SLIM, but here is my take. I got my 709 in stainless the other day and no cracks (there is a 709 thread on AZshooting with a guys gun that has a crack after only 12rds at the rear where the pin goes thru the grip) and looks great (has 50rds thru it by previous owner). I have been experimenting with different IWB carrying angles and positions (so far without a holster) and this thing IWB carries great! Only complaint i have is that in SA it is a long trigger pull and then when I think I have pulled as far as it will go, there is still more to pull. hopefully taurus or someone will come out with a shorter trigger for this gun.

The width of this gun is wider than a keltec pf9, but about the same as a walther p22. With a full mag of 147gr Winchester HP's it seems well balanced. already looking in to how to remove the safety lock, but will live with it until I can find a modification that works.

have to hit the range with this gun and put in a few hundred rounds through it and a box or two of defensive carry stuff thru it before I will carry it as a main gun.

a note to taurus is that on the front of the slide they could have made the slide more rounded on the top to side transition, they already did some cuts to reduce weight, but with square edges it just seems blocky. weight seems well (bit heavy for a synthetic gun of this size).

note to aftermarket mag makers, start making mags for this gun!also finger grip extension bases would be nice. right now even with my dealer discount thru midway the mags they look well built, but not for that high of a price) cost more than my west german made sig mags for my p220, 229, etc....
    Lifetime member VFW and NRA

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

2. Remove Ads

Why would you want to void the warranty by removing the lock?

Also, I would recomend getting a holster for carry, and not simply stuck in your waistband. Holsters are for safely and securely carrying firearms, waistbands are not.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I agree with farron. Taurus has a lifetime warranty and the thumb safety is one reason why I bought my stainless PT709. I like the long trigger pull too (not going to accidentally pull it). Carrying IWB without a holster designed for such is an accident waiting to happen (plaxico burres?). I've put a couple hundred rounds through mine and I love it. I pocket carry and it works out well. I've had no problems at all and I found it very accurate. I do advise to clean small semi-autos regularly. The PT709 comes from factory new with a thick white grease on some internal parts. I would recommend taking it down and cleaning and lubing and removing all fo that if it wasn't done by the previous owner.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

the 709 was stripped and completely cleaned and then relubed with CLP (my favorite lube). also looking at the child safety lock not the thumb safety.

I was just experimenting with an unloaded gun in the safety of my home to see what angles and positions for IWB worked best. This evening I went out with a simple uncle mikes generic sidekick holster that was slightly large for the taurus 709. it worked, but looking at the next smallest size. might look at desantis or bianchi and if this thing is a shooter then i might splurge for either a FIST or crossbread (2 of my favorites).

Let me know what holster you end up going with as I'm looking for a good IWB for this gun.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the child safety lock. In order for it to engage, it has to be unloaded, mag dropped, firing pin dropped by pulling trigger before it can be engaged. Once engaged, the round lock mechanism sticks out from the slide as a visual and feel indicator. They have designed the locking function in such a manner to minimize the chances of it accidentally engaging. I actually like the lock on this gun and my S&W 442 (but I've got small kids). I typically just use cable locks as a visual cue. Any gun not being used stays in the safe.

Those guns fit IWB holsters very nicely, I would recommend Don Hume or High Noon Holsters.
    I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit

well, put 200 rds of FMJ thru the gun at the range and only problems were with the cheap blazer brass. had 4 times where the blazer spent rounds would only partially be removed from the chamber and slide would get stuck trying to go forward to chamber another round into the chamber with a spent round still partially there. I am blaming this issue on the ammo, because I had no problems with federal, remington and winchester ammo. this gun really likes the winchester 147gr HP's for defensive loads.

I had the opportunity to shoot the 709 and a keltec p9 at the same time (buddy carries a p9 all the time and was at the range with me). The 709 and p9 shoot the same, but 709 fits mine larger hand better and doesn't have a bit of bite/kick like the p9 does.

Right now i am carrying the gun IWB with a blackhawk generic fit holster (the thin foamy type holster. I am looking at getting a Highnoon split decision or bare asset holster (I like the 15 degree cant since I carry it at 4 or 5 o'clock .

I've got 500 rounds through mine with a flawless performance. All types and brands of ammo. Not as much recoil as I have felt with other small 9mm. Very accurate. I bought an inexpensive Quest IWB holster similar to the blackhawk generic fit and I carry at 3. Very comfortable to carry. The more rounds I put through mine, the more I love it. Easy take-down makes cleaning every 200 rounds a breeze.

While I can carry my 709 very easily, and I think its a well made gun, I just cant stand it. I cant shoot it for nothing, I'm actually selling and buying another FNP.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    I LOVE my 709 Slim
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Fits great in Sig p239 holsters

I got a 9mm Taurus slim for Christmas and went through my holster drawers(s!) and found that it fits perfectly in all of my sig p239 holsters, a Galco concelable, and a Ken Null IWB, Model UNS, Undercover special.

I put a 100 rounds of mixed rounds, S & B fmj, cor bon 115 grain +p, and some critcal defense. Sharp kick with corbon, but otherwise not bad for such a light gun. No malfunctions. Sights were off and needed to be adjusted.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Hulley View Post
    While I can carry my 709 very easily, and I think its a well made gun, I just cant stand it. I cant shoot it for nothing, I'm actually selling and buying another FNP.
    I'll be glad to ease your suffering and will be willing to sacrifice and give you a couple bills for it. All of my buddies who have shot mine are dying for one.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeRoby View Post
    well, put 200 rds of FMJ thru the gun at the range and only problems were with the cheap blazer brass. had 4 times where the blazer spent rounds would only partially be removed from the chamber and slide would get stuck trying to go forward to chamber another round into the chamber with a spent round still partially there.
    This is a common malfunction with this firearm. It is actually something to do with the extractor. I read so many posts about this that I sold mine before even going to the range. If the problem persists, send it back to Taurus. They will make it work.

started to polish the chamber and ramp last night. also looking at either polishing or jeweling the barrel (got a kit I haven't used in a long time and thought it would add a lot of flair to gun if jeweled).

also hoping that the polishing of the chamber would help with the cheaper/rough ammo.

Links