kahr p40 garbage?

This is a discussion on kahr p40 garbage? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No offense to the OP, but I am so sick of this whole Kahr bashing line. If you don't like Kahrs don't but them Period! ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: kahr p40 garbage?

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    No offense to the OP, but I am so sick of this whole Kahr bashing line. If you don't like Kahrs don't but them Period! I am not even going to waste my time commenting further......sorry.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Armydad View Post
    I don't have a Kahr and am not interested in that product line. There are too many reports of issues. However, my main issue is in who you support when you purchase a Kahr gun. I copied some information below.

Kahr Arms is an American small arms manufacturer founded by Kook Jin "Justin" Moon (son of Unification Church founder Sun Myung Moon), who currently serves as CEO and President. It is owned by the Saeilo Corporation (pronounced say-low), a subsidiary of the Unification Church International holding company.

That information alone keeps me from giving any of my hard earned money to them.

Armydad
    How about other manufacturers like say Walther and Sauer as in the German half of Sig Sauer (both Nazi Germany firearms producers during WW2) or Howa (Japanese arms maker during WW2) who still produce guns many Americans buy? And then there is Beretta who made guns for Facist Italy and many other Axis countries, and now for the good old US military.......makes you wonder don't it since you have a child in the service using a handgun made by a company that supplied arms to Axis soldiers that killed our fighting men. I will always buy American if I can get the same quality for my dollar but I really could care less about Sun Myung Moon son owning Kahr, big frickin deal! Its still US citizen making the guns here in the US. Its common knowledge anyway to most here on this forum, but to each his own.
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I think that a lot of the reports of Kahr being faulty are a result of user error. With that said, I much prefer a Kahr to be 9mm.
    I agree, a very high percentage of fault is user error... I prefer my CW9 to other models...

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    No offense to the OP, but I am so sick of this whole Kahr bashing line. If you don't like Kahrs don't buy them Period! I am not even going to waste my time commenting further......sorry.
    +1,000,000... What else is there to say....
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

So, I want to be sure I got this right...

We can discuss the relative pros and cons of Glocks, Sigs, XDs, M&Ps, Rugers, Berettas, etc here on DC...but not Kahrs?

Folks can report their personal experiences, both good and bad, with various manufacturers...except for Kahr?

We can have lively discussions about all these brands, even friendly disagreements...but anyone who dares post a question or an experience that could be seen as negative about Kahr is a "troll," a "basher," or someone whose reported issues could be explained away by "operator error?"

I suppose the results of the reliability poll were just an anomaly?

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...poll-kahr.html

As much as some of you like to defend Kahr, I'm starting to wonder if you are moles that work for them!

The OP should probably have just done a search - this topic has been discussed repeatedly. But really folks, this is a public forum, and as long as folks obey the forum rules, you can't complain just because you disagree with others' opinions, or don't like the facts they present.

I don't get bent out of shape when folks criticize Glocks for things a lot less serious than dropping magazines and peening slides and barrels. Stop trying to kill the messengers, OK?

There are new folks here all the time, who are honestly trying to learn as much as they can, in order to make an informed decision. Others might be trying to figure out why issues they experienced happened, and what to do about them. Nothing wrong with that. We're all adults here - folks can digest all the facts and opinions and make their own decisions.

Chill out, don't take it personally, and give folks the benefit of the doubt. Cool?
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    and you think your little reliability poll really means anything?

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    and you think your little reliability poll really means anything?
    Yes. Feedback from 140 respondents is better than anecdotal reports from you, me, or anyone else.

Do a search, and compare the various poll results. You will see a difference between the makers polled. Not a true "study" so you cannot say brand X is ___% better than brand Y, but you can see a trend.
    CT Lasers

didn't mean to start a war

I didn't intend to start a war here, I'm just trying to get some first hand info on how reliable kahr is. I went to my gun shop to fondle a couple sub compacts and the p40 feels great in my hands, is really light, and a decent price. Since I don't know anything about kahr I did some research by reading reviews. It is very important to me how reliable a gun is especially for carry. If most people have a bad experience with something they tell 10 people, and if they have a good experience they tell 3. This is probably why I read so many bad reviews. Sorry if I ruffled any feathers
    When SHTF I don't call 911, I call 1911
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
    Kimber ultra carry II stainless steel
    HK uspc

Quote Originally Posted by noonan View Post
    I didn't intend to start a war here, I'm just trying to get some first hand info on how reliable kahr is. Sorry if I ruffled any feathers
    To start with I think its the way you titled your post "kahr p40 garbage". If you asked anybody is something they own "garbage", it would make them somewhat defensive don't you think? Maybe is the Kahr p40 reliable or dependable or well made would have been better thought out title and less offensive to Kahr owners. The two Kahrs I own have been flawless performers. I own over 30 handguns by many of the top manufacturers so I don't need to play favorites with any make or brand....I tell it like it is period, good or bad. No offense to you because you are new here but this same lame arguement has raged in several post recently and we all are a bit tired and bored with it I think. Certainly Kahrs are not off limits, no handgun is here but the overt bashing is tiresome and not productive or helpful to members looking for real answers. Do a search on Kahr and you will find several of these post. I guess I should just ignore them from now own.....the only thing worse is another Hi Point thread! Geezzz.
    Last edited by pirate; December 8th, 2009 at 07:18 AM.

I didn't intend to start a war here...Sorry if I ruffled any feathers
    Don't worry - wasn't your fault at all the thread took a slight turn - the "war" has been waging off and on for a while here now.

I'll just say this: If you're going to accept the words/advice/critique of anyone on this forum, take a couple of minutes to browse through their past posts to make sure they aren't harbouring an unrealistic vendetta against one particular brand. If approx 15% of their post count is about the same topic, I trust you can make up your mind as to how much weight their advice should be taken with.
    Glock 19, 26 & 36 | Kahr K9 & PM9 | S&W M&P9c, 642 & 640 | Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    So, I want to be sure I got this right...

We can discuss the relative pros and cons of Glocks, Sigs, XDs, M&Ps, Rugers, Berettas, etc here on DC...but not Kahrs?

Folks can report their personal experiences, both good and bad, with various manufacturers...except for Kahr?

We can have lively discussions about all these brands, even friendly disagreements...but anyone who dares post a question or an experience that could be seen as negative about Kahr is a "troll," a "basher," or someone whose reported issues could be explained away by "operator error?"

I suppose the results of the reliability poll were just an anomaly?

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...poll-kahr.html

As much as some of you like to defend Kahr, I'm starting to wonder if you are moles that work for them!

The OP should probably have just done a search - this topic has been discussed repeatedly. But really folks, this is a public forum, and as long as folks obey the forum rules, you can't complain just because you disagree with others' opinions, or don't like the facts they present.

I don't get bent out of shape when folks criticize Glocks for things a lot less serious than dropping magazines and peening slides and barrels. Stop trying to kill the messengers, OK?

There are new folks here all the time, who are honestly trying to learn as much as they can, in order to make an informed decision. Others might be trying to figure out why issues they experienced happened, and what to do about them. Nothing wrong with that. We're all adults here - folks can digest all the facts and opinions and make their own decisions.

Chill out, don't take it personally, and give folks the benefit of the doubt. Cool?
    I take it you are referring to me with this reply...

I take offense to the name calling. I'm not a mole for anyone.

I would've expected more than that, from an army officer...

I've been cool, why don't you be civil...
    Last edited by TX-JB; December 8th, 2009 at 03:01 AM.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    If most people have a bad experience with something they tell 10 people, and if they have a good experience they tell 3. This is probably why I read so many bad reviews. Sorry if I ruffled any feathers
    And if those 10 people post it on the internet, it multiplies into hundreds of thousands of posts.....

Maybe I'm lucky, but I don't think so. I have owned close to 100 different handguns over the past 25+ years. I have owned all the major brands, Colt, Glock, Browning, Beretta, S&W, Sig, Ruger, Kimber, Kahr and probably one or two others I forgot. I have never had to send any of them back to the manufacturer for any reason. So when I read all these horror stories on the internet about how bad this gun, or that gun is, I ignore them.

I considered my Kahr CW9 to be an experiment, 2 years ago. I didn't know much about them, other than they were as small as a .380, polymer, DAO and striker fired. To me Kahr was an unproven name, not like Colt or Smith. I figured for less than $400, if I didn't like it I could get out of it without losing an arm and a leg. I was pleasantly surprised by the CW9. I bought it and went straight to the range to try it. Needless to say it had a 3 or 4 hiccups that day, but I figured for being dirty and dry it wasn't too bad. Once I got it cleaned and lubed, it was a different story. Since that first outing, it's run flawlessly. I would estimate it's current round count at 1200+. It has become one of my favorite carry guns, along with my G26 and my 642.

That's my CW9 story. Everyone I know that have Kahr's have had the same basic experience I've had with mine. They are all quite happy with them.

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

My cw40 was garbage. After 3 trips to kahr it was traded off. I think the 40 round was just to much for the cw series.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    I take it you are referring to me with this reply...

I take offense to the name calling. I'm not a mole for anyone.

I would've expected more than that, from an army officer...

I've been cool, why don't you be civil...
    The "mole" comment was a joke, hence the "" and the "". Hard to tell tone with the written word.

My comment was directed at several members here, not just you. Some here have called me much worse - even accused me of lying.

I think my comments have indeed been civil. But every time someone reports an issue with this brand, some of you immediately jump on the poster, accuse them of "operator error" and worse ("bashing," being a "troll" etc). That's why I said we should give folks here the benefit of the doubt.

If you're concerned about lack of civility, maybe you should look in a mirror? I'll let the mods and the readers judge.

In any case, the OP's question has apparently been answered, so let's just leave it at that.

If someone asks for feedback on this brand in the future, I will relay my experiences and opinions via PM to the OP, since some of you cannot seem to tolerate any opinions other than your own. That should make y'all happy.
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by itschuck View Post
    My cw40 was garbage. After 3 trips to kahr it was traded off. I think the 40 round was just to much for the cw series.

Mechanically and operationally the CW series is no different than the P series. The barrel is not polygonal rifled, the front site is pinned not dovetailed and the slide stop is an MIM part all else is cosmetic. My CW40 has handled many hundreds of rounds with zero issues during breakin or otherwise. Handles the .40 very well and has performed flawlessly and I run all my guns hard. I don't work for Kahr, I work for me and if the gun was unreliable I would get ride of it......but the exact oppisite has been true, my 2 Kahrs have been outstanding. I have very few problems with any of my guns generally, certainly few I could not fix myself through the 30+ years I have been owning and shooting guns and I own a lot of firearms and shoot them regularly, makes one wonder?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links