kahr p40 garbage?

This is a discussion on kahr p40 garbage? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been reading alot of peoples comments on the p40 and I would say 50% are not good. It seems to have alot of problems ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kahr p40 garbage?

kahr p40 garbage?

I've been reading alot of peoples comments on the p40 and I would say 50% are not good. It seems to have alot of problems with it, and other people have no problems with them. Are they just poorly designed/built, or what? What do you guys think?
    When SHTF I don't call 911, I call 1911
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
    Kimber ultra carry II stainless steel
    HK uspc

2. Remove Ads

Just about every brand you can name, you can find a dirt trail about it on the internet. Pick the one that's right for you. My .02 for the little that it's worth.
    Last edited by lance22; December 5th, 2009 at 11:23 PM.

Well, if I reply to this thread I will get accused by some folks here of "bashing" Kahr.

I'll try to give you the facts as I understand them anyway.

I think the answer to your question is "both." The reason a significant minority of owners report issues with Kahr handguns has to do with their tight tolerances (which leaves little margin for error) and indifferent quality control.

As evidence for the tolerance issue, I submit the following. First, is the factory-mandated break in period. Second, is the explanation that was given to me by Kahr technicians regarding their barrel and slide peening issues from a few years ago. Seems if high-side-of tolerance slides were married to low-side-of-tolerance barrels (or vice versa), they would peen. Individually, the parts were all within spec, but when married together, the spread of tolerances was too great.

As evidence of the so-so quality control, I submit the issue they were having with (primarily) .40 cal pistols dropping their mags after a few shots. Seems the mag follower was engaging the mag catch as it moved up the mag. Kahr blamed their supplier of mag followers for out-of-spec parts, but the reality is that they should have tested the parts before installing them in customer's guns. This is also another demonstration of how tight the tolerances in these guns are.

If you want a Kahr, you may want to get one used. If it doesn't work out for you, you can likely sell it without too much of a loss.

I hope that was factual enough not to be considered gratuitous "bashing."
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Another thing you have to remember is that people tend to post when they have problems with a gun, any brand. Not everyone that has a perfectly functioning posts their experiences nor do they go on internet boards.

I have 3 Kahrs, a PM9, MK9 and a P380. I also own a Seecamp 32 and a Kel-Tec P32.I've never had an issue with any of them. But I also meticulously clean/lube my guns before shooting and make sure I run 200 rounds through them all to test for reliability. The only gun I've ever had issues with was a North American Arms Guardian 380. It wouldn't feed Federal JHP reliably. It worked with everything else. Ironically, it was made by Kahr.

Another thing to remember is that since Kahr guns have such tight tolerances, you have to make sure you load a round using the slide stop and have to pay particular attention not to "limp wrist" the gun.

Kahr does have great customer service, so they will most likely fix any issue you would have. That being said, it's not a perfect world and not every gun will suit everyone.

Administrator
    A snappy cartridge in a small lightweight pistol is going to have a lot more "issues" with the general public than a larger or heavier gun. I think that a lot of the reports of Kahr being faulty are a result of user error.
    With that said, I much prefer a Kahr to be 9mm.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    Another thing you have to remember is that people tend to post when they have problems with a gun, any brand.

Exactly...for every 1 negative there is 100 positive.....that's how I see it with almost anything.

Most of the positive need not say much...or need to prove much...the ones with "horror stories" usually feel the need to be heard....cause they are unhappy with the product.

I like Kahrs the one I have (PM45) is a fine pistol. I'd by one if I'm in the market for another without a second thought.

Some Kahrs do seem to be pretty finicky in the larger calibers, and even some of the subcompact models in the polymer frames. I have the CW9 and have had no problems to date, but honestly haven't either pushed it hard or allowed it to get dirty while I carried it. Mine is pretty much a safe queen now and I'm glad I have it in the rotation if needed. IMO the CW series would be a better choice. Price wise is much better and if by some down chance you end up with a finicky little biotch. $400 and change feels better that $600 and up.

They're basically the same except for some little critiques that IMO, wont hurt or help ya in a SD situation. If it was me, I'd go CW9, or better still, get a G26 for CC...

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Smile

I don't have a Kahr and am not interested in that product line. There are too many reports of issues. However, my main issue is in who you support when you purchase a Kahr gun. I copied some information below.

Kahr Arms is an American small arms manufacturer founded by Kook Jin "Justin" Moon (son of Unification Church founder Sun Myung Moon), who currently serves as CEO and President. It is owned by the Saeilo Corporation (pronounced say-low), a subsidiary of the Unification Church International holding company.

That information alone keeps me from giving any of my hard earned money to them.

Armydad

Quote Originally Posted by Armydad View Post
    Kahr Arms is an American small arms manufacturer founded by Kook Jin "Justin" Moon (son of Unification Church founder Sun Myung Moon), who currently serves as CEO and President. It is owned by the Saeilo Corporation (pronounced say-low), a subsidiary of the Unification Church International holding company.
    - I can understand if you have ideological differences and choose not to support Kahr arms. But if you really want to know who you are supporting, just look at any Kahr's frame. They are a Worchester, Massachusetts based company who manufacturers the guns in the U.S. Not to mention all of the workers who are in their corporate office in N.Y.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    A snappy cartridge in a small lightweight pistol is going to have a lot more "issues" with the general public than a larger or heavier gun. I think that a lot of the reports of Kahr being faulty are a result of user error.
    With that said, I much prefer a Kahr to be 9mm.
    Agreed! Operator error is probably the number one problem in a 15 ounce gun firing a fairly hot round. That said, my light strike issues with my CW9 were cured by replacing the striker spring and the recoil spring [free of charge from Kahr]. The mag dropping while firing was my fault for bumping the release button with my thumb. That problem was also cured.

I have a PM40 that I carried & shot frequently for over a year with zero issues. I replaced it in the carry rotation with a G23, then replaced that with a Colt New Agent just recently. I still rotate carry guns and wouldn't hesitate to carry the PM40. It is even small enough to use as a BUG in place of my LCP.
    Cherokee Slim
    NRA, SASS #72605, ROII, WBRO, Ocoee Rangers, Tennessee Mountain Maurauders. Semper Fi

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    ...Another thing to remember is that since Kahr guns have such tight tolerances, you have to make sure you load a round using the slide stop and have to pay particular attention not to "limp wrist" the gun...
    I knew there was a good reason I returned to revolvers.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I'm with Sixto. Most of the problems are between the firearm and the floor. Their guns aren't for everyone. I'm sure there's problems, but not to the magnitude of half their guns having issues.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

+1 with SIXTO

.40 cal in a pistol that light might prove to be a handful - both of my Kahrs are in 9mm. I personally will only recommend Kahrs to those with a bit of experience with handguns or to those that are willing to train/work to get their gun running reliably if necessary. They are not for everyone...there are plenty of Glocks available for those that want "plug and play" pistols (not a jab at Glock owners BTW - I own 2 myself).

What I don't understand is the mentality of the habitual Kahr-basher that spends so much time downing the pistols; I think it would've been time better spent in getting their own specimens running reliably...be it training or repairs that were required.

Quote Originally Posted by Armydad View Post

That information alone keeps me from giving any of my hard earned money to them.
    You're free to spend your money anyway you choose, but using the same rationale in the above post, some people may also not feel comfortable buying 1911's or BHPs:

John Moses Browning belonged to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints [Mormons] and served a two-year mission in Georgia beginning on March 28, 1887. His father Jonathan Browning, who was among the thousands of Mormon pioneers in the mass exodus from Nauvoo, Illinois to Utah, had established a gunsmith shop in Ogden in 1852

Not trying to argue over which faith is superior or even trying to say that either is bad. I just see the "Moonie" argument used against Kahr a lot but hardly see any mention of ideology with relation to any other firearm manufacturer or designer.

My Point: If you look hard enough, you can find a reason to dislike almost anything...
    Glock 19, 26 & 36 | Kahr K9 & PM9 | S&W M&P9c, 642 & 640 | Ruger LCP

I had the kahr 40 for a few months...shot it at the range ...it shoots nicely and is easy to carry...my only issue with it was that it didn't have a safety.
    there was an article of someone dropping it in the toilet of a carls jr and it went off..blowing the toilet apart...that's what prompted me to sell it and go for a taurus pt145bp..
    knowing my luck...I'd draw it and it would go off shooting my butt off....not what I'd want in a stressful situation...at least with my present weapon of carry I can keep one in the pipe and the safety on .......

Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links