Ruger LCP vs. LCR

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP vs. LCR within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been looking at getting a BUG, or a pocket gun for those times when you want to just drop something in the pocket ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCP vs. LCR

Ruger LCP vs. LCR

I have been looking at getting a BUG, or a pocket gun for those times when you want to just drop something in the pocket real quick, or when IWB would not be possible and I would need deep concealment. I have pretty much narrowed it down to these two. So which one would you get and why? Ruger LCP or LCR?

How about .380 vs. .38 special?

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The LCR .38 Special revolver will have more stopping power. Trigger pull might present a problem. Both the Ruger LCR revolver and the LCP semi-auto are going to have a good amount of recoil that will take some getting used to.
    .38 Special ammo is presently somewhat easier to find than .380.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Trigger pull on both of them are fine to me. The only problem with the LCR is the reset, unlike my Glock, you have to let it completely reset. But that just comes with practice I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    The LCR .38 Special revolver will have more stopping power. Trigger pull might present a problem. Both the Ruger LCR revolver and the LCP semi-auto are going to have a good amount of recoil that will take some getting used to.
    .38 Special ammo is presently somewhat easier to find than .380.
    Actually the DA trigger on the LCR is quite smooth.Heavy,but smooth.

In my opinion the LCR is a better choice than the LCP.Light (13.8 oz)
    hammer less so no hang up's if pocket carrying.And if you decide to IWB carry,it will feel like nothing is there with a quality holster.
    And as the poster said ubove me .38's are plentiful as opposed to .380.And you get the stopping power to boot.

My wife will be carrying one soon as an off duty weapon,so if i believe in it and she believes in it as a defensive weapon,it will do fine for you as well.

Good luck,Kevin

VIP Member

Ruger LCR vs. LCP

It might come down to price. I would rather own and carry the LCR 38 Special but it is going to be about $120.00 more than the LCP.

Both are relativly inexpensive handguns.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I'll say the LCP because of the flatness and overall length. I can put mine in a back pocket of any of my jeans and forget about it till I need it, just looks like a wallet.The LCR may have more stopping power but the LCP is more concealable for me.

LCP vs LCR

My opinion. If I had both in front of me and free. I'd still take the LCP over the LCR. JMO, but the .38 power wise with todays loads isn't a factor in the comparison anymore. The thickness of the cylinder is a check in the negative category, but does have the check in the reliability box.

For me it's a deep concealment itch that the LCP fills better and adds two extra rounds to boot, even if they're slightly less ballistically, they'll do the job if you do yours. In fact, some of the .380s ballistically compare pretty equal to some of the standard pressured .38 rounds. And Please! it's not a caliber war, if it has data to document it. I think all of us would rather have a .38 caliber LCP.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I own both and both are great BUGs. The LCP is very flat and light, easily concealed in either IWB or pocket carry with a wallet holster. The .380 is as light as I care to go in a SD round, but with the CT laser grips I'm confident of shot placement. I added a Pearce +2 mag extension so I have 8+1 .380 at hand.

The LCR is more powerful, especially shooting +p ammo. The recoil is stiff, but there is almost no muzzle flip. I pushes straight back into the hand. The trigger is a whole new design, with a cam to prevent stacking. This makes for a long but very smooth trigger travel with a crisp break. It is slightly larger than the Elsie Pea, but still easily concealable. With 2 HKS speedloaders, I have 15 rds of .38 +p available and with the CT Laser grip, hitting the target out to 10 yds is a piece of cake.

If I had to pick 1, it would be the LCR because of the extra power and new trigger design.

Just my $.02
    Rick

Gun owners' prayer:
    "Dear Lord; if I die please don't let my wife sell my gun collection...........for what I told her it was worth"

Smile

I own both guns and like both of them for what they are. Basically it boils down to what you feel meets your needs the best. LCP, a little less noticeable. LCR, more take down power but not as slim. Both triggers you have to fully reset, but the LCR is smoother to operate. You can't go wrong either way. 38+P ammo is easier to find than the 380, at least around here.

Good Luck.

Armydad

I have interest in both........ So ....... if you don't mind sharing.... what does one have to pay for either one without leaving a lot of money on the table?

Also, how about holsters for the LCR...... Are the readily available? Or do they perhaps use the same holsters as the J-frames?

Thanks......

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

You can't go wrong with a 38 special snubnosed revolver. It should be a standard item in anyone's collection. Just my thoughts. Added power, ammo availability, and reliability (not picky about ammo) are just added benefits. just my opinion.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by FastDraw View Post
    Also, how about holsters for the LCR...... Are the readily available? Or do they perhaps use the same holsters as the J-frames?
    Plenty of holsters specifically designed for the LCR now. Not all manufacturers yet, but enough that it won't be an issue.

My .02, if you have to pick one, go with the LCR for the power.

Quote Originally Posted by G19inLV View Post
    Trigger pull on both of them are fine to me. The only problem with the LCR is the reset, unlike my Glock, you have to let it completely reset.
    Same with the LCP and the trigger reset, since he asked about the LCP vs LCR and not about Glock. You have to let it all the way out to the second "click". The P3AT, which the LCP is almost a direct copy, is the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by scotthsi View Post
    Same with the LCP and the trigger reset, since he asked about the LCP vs LCR and not about Glock. You have to let it all the way out to the second "click". The P3AT, which the LCP is almost a direct copy, is the same way.
    That is actually my (the OP) comment. But I did not know that about the LCP, that it is the same, in that case, it looks more and more like the LCR. I do want a revolver.

Also, as far as concealability, I can't really tell a difference in my pocket. Heck, my phone in the other pocket printed more than the both of them, and that was without a holster.

VIP Member
    Well, the LCR is my pick but then again I'm back on revolvers these days. In fact, I like the trigger action better than a stock Smith' and I have a few.
    Perhaps you could find a used one for around a $150.00 less. As I posted elsewhere, the S&W 438 'Bodyguard' is one model that is still reasonably priced, and makes for a good pocket carry. Granted, it may not win any fashion shows but it does conceal and draws nicely.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links