1903 Colt .32

1903 Colt .32

This is a discussion on 1903 Colt .32 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone CCW a Colt 1903 .32? Heavy, but flat! -- Richard...

Thread: 1903 Colt .32

1903 Colt .32

Does anyone CCW a Colt 1903 .32? Heavy, but flat!

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by RKirk View Post

-- Richard
    I don't have a 1903 .32, but do have a 1908 .380. It's essentially the same gun, different caliber. It is very flat and easy to conceal, and I did carry it a couple of times after having a kydex IWB holster custom made for it at a gun show. (Because of its age and relative rarity, holsters, mags, etc. are hard to find.)

It's not my EDC though, mostly because of concerns about reliability. Every once in a while I'll have a FTF or stovepipe FTE. I think it's a mag problem, and haven't resolved it. I also have a Kahr PM9 which is about as small as the 1908, but lighter weight and larger caliber and a more reliable alternative for carry. The 1908 is my first gun (I've had it over 32 years) but has pretty much become a range gun for me.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Administrator

webphoto

Very collectable. So I don't and I wouldn't. I would just take out and fondle it maybe warm the barrel with a couple mags. I would get another gun for EDC.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

i would like to have one. not to carry but just to have.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I have one and carried it for a month or 2 until I was brave enough to carry a 1911 OWB. I think the gun was originally designed for concealed carry or pocket carry. I was carrying with winchester silver tips and they seemed to work good in the gun.

I am wanting to get another magazine for it but damn hard to find one. I decided that it was too cool of a gun to EDC, the sights are not real great, and a magazine change (if I could ever find one) is difficult. Definately a keeper, fun at the range.

Joker1
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    I have one and carried it for a month or 2 until I was brave enough to carry a 1911 OWB. I think the gun was originally designed for concealed carry or pocket carry. I was carrying with winchester silver tips and they seemed to work good in the gun.

I am wanting to get another magazine for it but damn hard to find one. I decided that it was too cool of a gun to EDC, the sights are not real great, and a magazine change (if I could ever find one) is difficult. Definately a keeper, fun at the range.

Joker1

maybe try here:

Colt Gun Parts ,Bob's Gun Shop

surv

Quote Originally Posted by RKirk View Post

-- Richard

Everything is relative. It is amusing that the little Colt is considered to be heavy in this day and age. Times change.

CCW 1903 Colt

Thanks for the replies. I am going in circles about this and you all have helped me realize I don't want to CCW this pistol, but really want to have one, just because! I think that's allowed. It will make a great quest to find and restore a Colt .32 ACP. During the last several years I have come to realize John Moses Browning's pistols are wonderful to behold and shoot. Over the past 40 years I have purchased several Browning master pieces. I gave my son a Colt 1911 I bought in the 1970s. My nephew has a baby Browning .25 I bought in the 1960s.

Also in the 1960s I bought a Colt 1903 .32 with a leather holster and a spare magazine carried in the holster. I cleaned it up and cold blued the pistol, shot it several magazines worth and presented to a family friend. This was at her request for a pistol for home protection. I wish I had selfishly failed in that project and kept the pistol for myself.

The latest Browning is a Hi-Power I love to shoot at the range and at IDPA matches. I guess I am becoming a Browning nut!

Thanks again,

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Joker1

Sorry Joker1 I met to include that I saw MidwayUSA had Colt .32 magazines for $14 dollars. Check them out.

-- Richard

Thanks surv and Richard I will check those places out.

Joker1
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I carry a nickel plated one in a Simply Rugged Cuda holster. I love this little pistol..I carry it with Fiocchi 60 grain XTP's. Nice little carry gun and it is easy to hide. Mine has been refinished a long time ago. Mine has never malfunctioned..I feel safe carrying it. Robbie

Don't get the 1903 mags that Midway sells. Those things are complete crap.

The one I got was so tight going in the gun that I had to pry it out with pliers. When I looked at the but plate it was very out of square. The product reviews on Midway agree with me too. Wish I had bothered to read them before buying.

Colt 1903 Midway Magazines

I am so glad you posted about the Magazines for sale at Midway. I will stay away for those. It is hard to get that little Colt classic out of my head. It is encouraging to hear some people still carry this pistol. Thanks everyone.

-- Richard

I just did a want to buy a mag in the classifieds here and a fellow had a nice one he sold me. They are out there..just gotta find em. Neat lil pistols..Robbie

Links