So Called High Bore Axis in Sigs

This is a discussion on So Called High Bore Axis in Sigs within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have Sigs. I keep hearing (particularly from Glock owners) that the high bore axis is a real timing problem in competition shooting. Anything to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So Called High Bore Axis in Sigs

So Called High Bore Axis in Sigs

I have Sigs. I keep hearing (particularly from Glock owners) that the high bore axis is a real timing problem in competition shooting. Anything to this?
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

2. Remove Ads

I hear the same thing about XD's. I'm told a higher bore axis adds to muzzle flip and takes you longer to back on target. Not sure if its true or not.

VIP Member
    Yes indeed I hear the same thing about XD's, but frankly I think they are better shooters then Glocks. Sig's are another level of quality in my opinion.

By the way, this comes from a Glock fan! Look at my name!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    This post will show you an example of some 'bore axis' differences:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ig-p239-4.html

look at post #33
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Senior Moderator
    I suppose if you were a world class competitor, where a few hundreths of a second was the difference between winning the trophy or winning nothing it might make a difference, but most of us dont have to worry about it.

In the real world,you need to practice with what you are going to carry.
    Speed comes from not having to think about anything other than putting rounds on the target.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    This post will show you an example of some 'bore axis' differences:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ig-p239-4.html

look at post #33
    So are you trying to say that a Glock is a better gun and more accurate then a Sig?

If so, other then "bore axis" please tell me why? By the way, I have quite a bit of experience with both and I might want to hear your thoughts.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

kpw
    Having a higher bore axis isn't the only thing that relates to more muzzle flip. Weight, balance and grip angle also play a part. Caliber is another factor. In 9mm, there really isn't a lot of difference to make it distinguishable to me. In .357, .40 and .45, the higher axis of an XD or a Sig does make it noticeable to me compared to an equivilent Glock or M&P. A huge difference? Nope, not a deal breaker difference if I wanted a Sig (I do) or an XD. As far as competition goes, there are other considerations that may make Glocks a more popular choice but that doesn't make Sigs a bad choice at all.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I just went to the range the other day. I shot my G19 and my Sig 228. While the recoil was not bad on either, the Sig definitely had more recoil. I also shoot my 19 better than my 228. I like the Glock trigger better than the DA/SA of my Sig. I shot them both well, but my groups were tighter with the Glock. That being said, I shoot my Glocks a lot and barely shoot my Sig. I'm sure that if I shot my Sig more, the groups would tighten up.

They are both awesome weapons.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    So are you trying to say that a Glock is a better gun and more accurate then a Sig?

If so, other then "bore axis" please tell me why? By the way, I have quite a bit of experience with both and I might want to hear your thoughts.
    Didn't say 'Glock was better' or even more accurate.......all I referenced was the bore axis.....& Glock is lower. I own Sigs & Glocks, they are both great firearms. Sig's are a little better in some ways & Glocks are better in others. Both run great out of the box....It's just the muzzle flip is more on a Sig then the Glock. I can say that by comparing the similar guns (Glock 23 & Sig 229, both .40s&w). The Glock is faster on follow up shots due to the lower flip.
    Attached Images
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I own a lot of SIGs, and I can't say I really think that SIGs have more muzzle flip for a given cartridge and barrel length than any comparable gun I have fired. As for competition, my SIG P220 SAO has done right well by me in IDPA so far.

I think muzzle flip has a lot more to do with stance, grip, technique, and ergonomics to the shooter than a small difference in bore axis in most standard calibers. I am slower with follow-up shots on a Glock, I think (and this is just a feeling because I haven't compared times with a shot timer), because the grip angle means my natural point-of-aim with one is different, so I find it harder to get the gun to come back down to the original geometry after the first shot. For my SIGs, though, the return to aim is pretty much spot on.

Now, if we were talking .44 Magnum out of a 2--3 inch barrel, then I think we might start seeing some noticeable differences in splits based solely on barrel height...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

If you want a really low bore axis, check out the Steyr.

Senior Moderator
    Steyrs are great guns, but they are even uglier than Glocks.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Someone should invent a gun with the obvious quality and reliability of a Sig. This gun would be lighter and more recoil absorbing with it's polymer frame like a Glock.

WAIT! There is H&K!

I have shot my Sig P220 and a friends G30 as well as my PT 845. I have placed many rounds down range with all and I have to say that with the Sig I can get back on target quicker. I was talking to a friend of mine that is an Israeli marksmanship Instructor, he to can get back on target with Metal Frame pistols faster than Polymer (but he is a 1911 guy). I think a lot of it has to do with personal preference such as I know that I can shoot faster with Metal Frame and more accurate than with Polymer frames from experience.

All I know is, it causes more muzzle flip which would hinder the "back on target" during rapid fire.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links