Colt commander owners need advice

This is a discussion on Colt commander owners need advice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well the title says it all I'm looking to buy a colt commander model,I'm thinking a blued 1991A1 model. What holster would you guys recommend ...

Thread: Colt commander owners need advice

Colt commander owners need advice

Well the title says it all I'm looking to buy a colt commander model,I'm thinking a blued 1991A1 model. What holster would you guys recommend for this gun? would a sparks summer special 2 be a good choice? I'm already hunt brownells for an arched mainspring housing and short trigger... What is any custom work would you suggest and what about a nice set of grips imitation ivory perhaps? and what about night sights who makes them for these guns? Is there a set of sights that can be installed without having to cut the rear sight notch and refinishing the gun?

I've never owned or shot a commander before just 5" guns. I have to say the more I handle the commander at my LGS the better it balances in my hands. For those who have both do you prefer the commander to the full size for IWB/OWB carry? Also could you guys here who own a colt commander post pics please?
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

2. Remove Ads

Please check with Colt and their custom shop for modifications. They do excellent work. Summer Special is an excellent choice. Good luck and congratulations on your impending Colt.

I have a Commander. I like it.

I've had another one prior and still mumble at myself for parting with it.

I have several full sized Government Models and one 1918 made 1911 (not A1). I like the Commander for the weight difference. Please note, the Commander is a lightweight alloy frame pistol with a 4.25 inch (more or less) barrel. Aside from the .75 inch loss of barrel, it is about 12 ounces lighter than the Government Model.

Colt also makes a steel frame pistol with the same slide and barrel arrangement. Some folks find this configuration rides in the hand better.

I personally see no reason for the steel frame gun. For concealment purposes, the 12 ounces make far more difference than the length. For my money, the Commander is easier to carry than the full steel Officer's configuration. (They ride like a brick in one's pocket.)

The Summer Special is an excellent holster for such a pistol; but so are many others. I find in my later years, my belt line is substantial enough to require an outside the belt holster for comfort. Any of the 'pancake' knock offs will serve well too. (Presuming the maker did a proper job of assembly.) You will simply have to try one and see what's comfortable.
    Also consider what you will be doing while carrying a pistol. Does driving your car or motorcycle restrict your holster? Will you need to remove and mount the pistol several times a day? Do you require moderate - normal carry - concealment or some ultra deep cover?

Just for the record, leather lasts longer if cared for. I also find leather is less abrasive than plastics. (Just don't leave a load of sand inside the holster.)

Grips are again your choice. I prefer wood. Having small hands, I prefer thinner grips. The original checkered grips serve very well in nearly all cases. However, I'm not above some fancy grips as well. But those depend on your taste and how you see yourself. If you are going to purchase 'fancy' grips, have them say who you are.

Sights; for a carry gun, stick with fixed sights. The ones on my Commander are rather ancient "King-Tappen" sights. They are very similar to the even more ancient "National Match High Sights". They are the Patridge configuration, square notch rear and square post front. The "King-Tappen" sights have a couple dabs of white at the bottom of the rear sight notch and the center of the front sight post.

Night sights are again your own choice. I don't see a need for them usually. I've worked with a couple guns that had them, but I'm not sure they really come into play at ranges encountered in very dim light.
    Attached Images
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    Please note, the Commander is a lightweight alloy frame pistol with a 4.25 inch (more or less) barrel.
    That use to be true, the current steel pistols are rollmarked Commander, the alloy framed model are rollmarked Lightweight.
    Last edited by OD*; December 8th, 2009 at 10:26 AM. Reason: spellun
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I have the Combat Commander XSE model,I added XS big dot nite sites,I carry in a don hume leather OWB holster but plan on making my own holster in the next week or so
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Here's my Commander I just bought last month. I love to carry it in the Don Hume H721 OT holster. It rides great and offers a firm hold on the gun. I am leaving the gun completely stock. It is an excellent compromise to the 5" Gov't model. This one is my 5th 1911 in my stable.

thanks guys and Sarge45 your commander is exactly whay I'm looking for also i feel the commander lend itself to OWB carry more than my 5" guns due wo its short slide/barel won't poke out under shirts like the full size does.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

Great. Good luck !

Mine is not a Colt Commander but it is a 4" 1911. I carry a Wilson Combat Professional, IWB (inside the waist band) using a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2. It is the most comfortable holster I have ever used and extremely well made. The wait for one is long but worth it in my opinion.

The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Nice Wilson, Tex.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Buy an HBE COM III IWB and YOU WILL be a happy camper. Best holster I've ever carried a 1911 or BHP in and worth every penny. FYI I've owned a MS VM and lots of other holsters but Eric's COM III is the most Comfortable of the bunch.

I'm looking at a Commander myself in .38 super. Great shooting pistol. Swore off short barreled 1911's after a VERY BAD experience with a Spinger Champion but might give it another round.

Here is Erics site. I use him or Tim Thurner at TT for all of my leather needs. Cannot go wrong with either but the COM III is the best I've ever owned.

H.B.E. Specialty LeatherWorks

TT Gunleather. Another master holster maker without the high prices and long wait but Tim is getting busier each week.

TT GunLeather High Quality Leather Gun Holsters
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Links