New member. Bad trigger-finger=Need new concealed carry weapon,

This is a discussion on New member. Bad trigger-finger=Need new concealed carry weapon, within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have owned a Kel-Tec 9mm , double action only, for many years. I have arthritis in my right trigger finger , & it is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member. Bad trigger-finger=Need new concealed carry weapon,

New member. Bad trigger-finger=Need new concealed carry weapon,

I have owned a Kel-Tec 9mm , double action only, for many years. I have arthritis in my right trigger finger , & it is getting harder & harder to pull the KT's heavy, long double action trigger.
    Looking for a new carry weapon. Have up to $500 to spend , prefer no Glocks or their type safety , want at least 9mm, compact or sub-compact that is easier for me to shoot .
    Thanks for any suggestion !

2. Remove Ads

So have you considered a compact or sub-compact SINGLE action such as a Colt Defender?

What about an M&P? The trigger safety is different than the "trigger-within-a-trigger" used by Glock, XD, Walther, etc which you apparently don't like. Should have less trigger pull weight than your KT.

Any DA/SA will likely be too heavy in DA mode for you. Maybe a SA?
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Have you considered going to something that can be carried cocked-and-locked? If so, perhaps a CZ Rami with the safety in 9mm. If you'd like something larger, perhaps the CZ 75B Compact in 9mm. By the way, these are hammer-fired, metal guns.

I would suggest a Kahr CW9 9mm pistol. The trigger pull is lighter than the Kel Tec pistols and you can purchase one for under $500.00.
    God bless our troops!

Taurus pistols have the 24/7 line the 709 line etc

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

0r

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

When a round is chambered the trigger sets to SA if for some reason a misfire occurs (havnt experienced this yet) the trigger goes to da for "2nd strike capability"
    When in SAthe trigger is very light and smooth I would highly reccomend taking a look. Fits the price, concealability and trigger requirments you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie8D View Post
    I have owned a Kel-Tec 9mm , double action only, for many years. I have arthritis in my right trigger finger , & it is getting harder & harder to pull the KT's heavy, long double action trigger.
    Looking for a new carry weapon. Have up to $500 to spend , prefer no Glocks or their type safety , want at least 9mm, compact or sub-compact that is easier for me to shoot .
    Thanks for any suggestion !
    Kahr CW9 might be what you're looking for. I have one and consider it an excellent CC pistol for $400 and change. YMMV

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I have a similar situation with a combination of short, somewhat chunky fingers, as well as arthritis in the first joint of my index finger. Over the years I have had many handguns, including the KelTec PF9 that I carried some for awhile due to it's slim size, and also needeed a trigger change, but I wanted to stay with the same general operation. I tried a friend's CW40, and fell in love with the trigger, so purchased a CW9 for myself. The Kahr Elite trigger is as smooth as glass. The Kahr CW9 filled the 9mm nitche I had between my other usual carries of Kimber, Sig and S&W.

surv

The Taurus pistols might be what would work for you, I have two and really like them.

The new Taurus Slim is a possibility.

how about a snubbie?

Have you considered a wheel gun? Easier to load, no slide to pull (my wife has Rheumatoid and has trouble working a slide). She has a small .38spl that's just perfect for her in single action mode. I usually use an RIA 1911 in .45 but I also just got a similar .38 for when I need a smaller gun.

I have considered a revolver. Years ago, I did carry a snub .38, but would like to step up to 357, if I get another. Some of the D/A revolvers I have seen, also have heavy trigger pull. At least it is not a long pull like the KT. Not sure of which revolvers would be good for concealed carry.
    I failed to mentioned that I have smaller hands. Best fitting semi-automatic for me was my old Bersa, a Makarov, or Walther.

VIP Member
    A Ruger SP101 might be for you. It's beefier than the Smith J-frames so it handles .357 recoil pretty well. The trigger can be lightened by changing out one spring. A Kahr CW9 is basically the same size as the Bersa .380, so it may be something for you to consider...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    I have a similar situation with a combination of short, somewhat chunky fingers, as well as arthritis in the first joint of my index finger. Over the years I have had many handguns, including the KelTec PF9 that I carried some for awhile due to it's slim size, and also needeed a trigger change, but I wanted to stay with the same general operation. I tried a friend's CW40, and fell in love with the trigger, so purchased a CW9 for myself. The Kahr Elite trigger is as smooth as glass. The Kahr CW9 filled the 9mm nitche I had between my other usual carries of Kimber, Sig and S&W.

surv
    Similar problems here. I bought a Kahr CW9, it is easy on the trigger finger, and conceals well in the pocket. Added the Laserguard, I like it. When Laserguard is added, it's hard to find holsters if u don't want to pocket carry.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    the CW9 is almost identical to the PF9 in grip feel, and night sights are now available for the CW series. The CW trigger isn't as long as the PF9 and much, much smoother. Like Charlie8D I have the "short finger affliction", and have a hard time with most revolvers with the exception of small grip j-frames. They still don't work as well as a more vertical, thin grip semi-auto though due to the shape and condition of my hands. There are probably a lot of us older guys with smaller hands / shorter fingers that need single stack DA semi-autos with limited external controls due to inflexibility conditions of our fingers and thumbs.

surv

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links