Info needed on .38 Super Colt Commander

This is a discussion on Info needed on .38 Super Colt Commander within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings. My nephew has a Mexican marked Colt Commander in Good condition in .38 Super with 4 mags and plenty of brass. It hasn't been ...

Thread: Info needed on .38 Super Colt Commander

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar

Info needed on .38 Super Colt Commander

Greetings. My nephew has a Mexican marked Colt Commander in Good condition in .38 Super with 4 mags and plenty of brass. It hasn't been shot for years till I put 50 rounds through it this weekend after cleaning it up real thoroughly. Was very accurate and a pleasure to shoot.

He's a little short on cash and needs money for Christmas. What would a fair price be on this baby? He's offering it to me at $450.00. I really loved shooting it and if I buy it, it may become my new CCW. I do not want to take advantage of him and need an honest price to brighten their holidays.

I know there are some Colt guru's here who could give me info on the pistol and would appreciate your advice. I plan on leaving it bone stock except for dropping in a Wilson Drop In Beavertail and having a good trigger job performed. If it's not collectable I may add a Ed Brown safety, have the front strap stipled and have AP&W hard chrome it.

It will be my one and only Christmas present and I'm like a kid on Christmas eve already.

Thanks in advance and stay safe.

SG
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

2. Remove Ads

$450 sound reasonable, it might be worth a little more than that. My guess [sight unseen] is that it is not a collector item, but a shooter.

The Mexican marks are what, import marks, police registration stamping, or what? That might effect the value if it had some unique connection. I would not go over $550.

The alterations you suggest are reasonable, but you might want to upgrade the sights to a rugged fixed combat sight, such as Heinie or Novak. These should be fitted in a milled slide. You could have tritium night sights. If you do that, I get a better beavertail that is fitted, they allow a better grip.

Everything does not have to be done at one time.

My opinion, good sights are more important than a good trigger for fast combat shooting. A good trigger is more important than the beavertail [unless the hammer is biting the hand and drawing blood].
    You can use various grip or adapters to get most of the advantages of a checkered front strap.

Novak custom [stock photo]
    The People Think the Constitution Protects Their Rights;
    Government See IT as an Obstacle to be Over-come.

VIP Member
    any pics of the markings?
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Not yet. The .38 is in Ohio and I'm in NC. I'll ask my niece to take a few pics. They looked like original markings IMS. I just loved it's accuracy and feel. I'm paying them $550.00 for it as they really need the money as his hours have been cut back and their girls deserve a nice visit from Santa!

Now another holster and dies for the Dillon. Does it ever end? Hope not!
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

That's a good price for a Colt in good condition along with 4 mags and some extras. I've carried a couple of supers and they're a joy to shoot. Mild recoil and hard hitting external ballistics. Sounds like it would be a good Christmas for everyone involved.
    I am not The Word
    I am the parchment on which
    The Word is written

Fair Fair on both sides. In this crazy ammo drought 38 super is the one caliber I see regularly on gun store shelves, go figure! I'm in NC also, Smithfield, where the pottery is on I-95.

That's a good deal. You can't touch a 38 super anywhere in my area for under 700.
    "When you reload in low light encounters, don't put your flashlight in
    your back pocket.. If you light yourself up, you'll look like an angel
    or the tooth fairy...and you're gonna be one of 'em pretty soon."

Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsterguy View Post
    Not yet. The .38 is in Ohio and I'm in NC. I'll ask my niece to take a few pics. They looked like original markings IMS. I just loved it's accuracy and feel. I'm paying them $550.00 for it as they really need the money as his hours have been cut back and their girls deserve a nice visit from Santa!

Now another holster and dies for the Dillon. Does it ever end? Hope not!
    You're a good uncle. $550 is a good price for both of you, and this way the gun stays in the family! When you hit yoir 90's and decide to start thinning out the collection, maybe nephew will be there to buy it back from you.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links