CZ-82 9X18 Mak Range Report

This is a discussion on CZ-82 9X18 Mak Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I gave my "new" CZ-82 a wring out at the range today. I picked it up from CDNN, excellent to as new, for $189 plus ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CZ-82 9X18 Mak Range Report

Distinguished Member

CZ-82 9X18 Mak Range Report

I gave my "new" CZ-82 a wring out at the range today. I picked it up from CDNN, excellent to as new, for $189 plus $17 shipping. I replaced the recoil spring with a Wolff 18.5 lbs springs Springs for CZ 82 & 83 Semi-Auto Pistols and the grips with walnut checkered grips from Grips4U Grips4u - Grips4u .

I fired 500 rounds of mixed brands through five different used factory magazines bought from CDNN. The ammo was Silver Bear 95 grain HP, Silver Bear 95 Grain FMJ and PRVI Partizan 95 grain FMJ.

I did not clean the weapon during the firing sequence and fired a mix of triple taps, double taps, slow fire and quick aimed fire (all 12 rounds in the mag) Each magazine was started with double action fire and the balance of the mag was single action.

There were NO failures to feed, NO failures to extract and the pistol worked flawlessly. Much has been said about the sharp recoil, but I experience nothing that even came close to being sharp. The trigger was easily manageable in DA (unmeasured but around 8 lbs) and a crisp break after the takeup (again unmeasured but around 4 lbs)

POA was POI at 10 yards, with POI being 1.5 inches low at 7 yards. In slow fire I was able to place all rounds in a 3 inch circle at 10 yards.

I am extremely impressed with the pointability, function, accuracy, and reliability of this pistol.

The ballistics of the 9X18 don't really support it as a carry gun during winter in Idaho when folks are wearing heavy coats ( http://www.victorinc.com/9x18mm.html ) as penetration with HP is 7-9 inches ( http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/C...Makarovetc.htm http://www.goldenloki.com/ammo/gel/9x18/gel9x18.htm ) through a light coat for everything but FMJ and the 115 grain Silver Bear ammo, but it will sure get the nod during summer in it's Crossbreed holster. I will be putting Meprolight tritium sights on it and I have some Reeds Ammo on the way http://shop.reedsammo.com/category.sc?categoryId=9
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Chorizo; December 8th, 2009 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Added more info
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Congrats on the new pistola .. I have always had an interest in those and especially at the CDNN prices... Thanks for the report...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Thanks for the report. I'd really like to get one of those when my C&R FFL arrives. Of course that means another cartridge to handload and cast for, but then again, is that really so bad?
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Doesn't surprise me a bit, a fine weapon.

Senior Moderator
    Its a lot of gun for the money.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I have been preaching about the virtues of the CZ82 for over 3 years now. I own 3 and all 3 have never malfunctioned in any way ever......flawless with many 100's of rounds through each. Your range report is typical of these fine firearms. I think they are the best handgun bargin going today bar none. And they are Curio&Relic guns also which is even better. I love having handguns delivered directly to the house. 10 boxes of ammo at one session is impressive, I do not find the recoil of the CZ 82 very stout either but 500 rounds will work on the hand after a while.....nice report and nice gun.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member
    I consider 300 rounds of ammo without failure with two full runs per each mag with the carry ammo to be the minimum before I will carry a gun with those mags for self defense. The gun was such a pleasure to shoot that 500 rounds was no problem. An expensive day, but I feel confident that this gun will perform without flaw if I need it.

I was extremely impressed with the DA trigger.

This little bargain compares favorably with my Beretta Cougar 8040 and CZ RAMI in 40 S&W, which are my primary carry weapons. I now believe they will have a a companion in the summer.

Added benefit: ammo is plentiful and relatively cheap at $135 per 500 delivered to your doorstep.

Nice looking piece, Pirate.

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

My CZ is a great gun. Shoots great never had any problems. Would recommend this gun to anyone.
    CZ82
    Ruger LCP
    Glock 27 Gen4
    Ruger SR22

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Congrats Ghorizo! I'll be in touch about the grips. Mine needs a touch up but like yours is a shooting machine. Can't beat a fine weapon for under $200.00!

Yours looks great!
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

I also like the smoothness of the trigger. I carry one as my primary, loaded with Hornady HPs. Great report.

I have one and it's a keeper! Believe it or not, this gun from AIM has the best DA trigger of any gun I own and that includes my G30!
    I like carry in cocked and locked as this gun can but, since the DA is SOOOO good, I elect to carry it that way. May never know if someone did a trigger job but like I say, the trigger is smooth as butter on this gun.
    Got some of the custom wood grips from the guy in Europe and they rock!

Edited to add: TX-JB...stop messin around and get one of these while you still can!

I carry a CZ82 as my primary CC weapon. I have a few complaints about the gun though, the main one being that I can not find rubber grips such as the hogue grips for the gun. The other complaint that I have is that they are not equipped with a decocker. I own 5 guns in the 9x18 , 1 Russian Makarov and 4 CZ82s and believe the caliber to be adequate for most situations. I own many guns that are concealable , but over all my favorite is one of my CZ82s, it points and shoots like a revolver to me, and has more rounds. Over all this is one very fine if complex weapon. Pirate I love the finish that you have put on your guns, do you have a write up on how you have refinished them?

When I am wearing something that is not able to cover my CZ, I go with either a Sig P230, a Walther PP, a Keltec 3AT, or a Colt Detective Special. I have truly figured out why women have so many different purses, I am the same way about a weapon.

I also carry mine ready to go, no safety on. The finish on mine was not that nice, so I Duracoated it. mauser1959 the only grips I know are made by Marschalgrips and they are wood, have you tried using a Hogue rubber grip sleeve?

Distinguished Member
    Guys, see my original post. I provide a link to Grips4U. He custom makes two styles of walnut grips for the CZ-82. No rubber grips out there yet though other than the sleeve.

Mauser1959, I love your your observation, "I have truly figured out why women have so many different purses, I am the same way about a weapon."

Gumaro; No I have not tried a rubber sleeve, the grips are not bad factory. I just wanted something different, and would like a rubber grip something like I have on my Smiths.

I really like that silver durocoat on your gun. I guess that I need to break down and tear one of my guns down and look in that direction.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links