Quick range report on Taurus TCP

This is a discussion on Quick range report on Taurus TCP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked up a Taurus TCP yesterday for $289. I've been looking for a little pocket pistol for those times when I just don't want ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quick range report on Taurus TCP

Quick range report on Taurus TCP

I picked up a Taurus TCP yesterday for $289. I've been looking for a little pocket pistol for those times when I just don't want to wear one of my full size pistols. I had read some pretty good reviews, so decided to get it over the Kel-tec or Ruger LCP.

First off, It just felt better in my hand than the other two.
    2nd, It comes with two 6 rd mags and a cordura case/holster with a belt clip, so you could clip it on and go.
    3rd, This one has the lock back after the last rd.

The ammo used was 50 rds of American Eagle 95gr FMJ and only one mag of Cor-Bon 90gr JHP. Expensive stuff!!

I started at 9 ft just to see how it would feel. First 6 rds were inside 3". 2nd 6 rds were just as tight. All rds loaded and ejected with no problems at all. Recoil was not near as bad as I expected. Trigger pull is long, but not too heavy. I'd guess about 5 lbs. After a few rds, I learned how much I could take up the trigger between shots and got some fairly accurate double taps.
    Out to 20', I was hitting inside 6" without a problem.

Sorry, I didn't get any target pics, as I blew the hell out of it with my new Springer mil-spec

The only thing I might do is add a touch of white paint to the front site, as its a little difficult to acquire in dim light.

All in all, I really happy with it and won't be afraid to have this as a backup or a quick trip pocket pistol.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Congrats on the new Taurus! I really like the looks of it. I wasn't too impressed with my son's LCP, but I'm going to have to track down one of those and give it a serious look...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Good for Taurus for making this.

I am loving all the choices in small concealed carry handguns that continue coming out.

Good looking Taurus, and the price is right!!!!
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Thumbs up

I can second the OP's comments. I just picked up a TCP to replace my aging KelTec, cleaned and lubed it properly and headed out with some old Greek .380 I had laying around, 6 Hydra-shocks, 6 Powerball and 6 silver tips. 70 rounds shot.

Absolutely no problems. Accuracy was very good at 7 yards and most notably, recoil was significantly less than the KelTec.

The TCP has a couple features I really like. One is of course the lock-back that no one else seems to think is important on a pocket gun. Next is the gun has a polamyer grip but the frame that attaches to the slide is steel and has 3/4 length rails! Lastly is the way it fits my big hands.

Regards the trigger pull - it appears the OP missed the fact that the TCP has a short reset. For those not familiar with the reset points on handguns, holding the trigger to the rear on discharge, then slowly let the trigger move forward to the point you hear/feel a "click". That's the reset point that the gun is capable of firing at. To find the reset on the gun when it's not loaded, remove the magazine, lock the slide to the rear, look, then stick your little finger or something in the chamber to verify it's NOT LOADED - then move the slide forward, point the gun in a safe direction, squeeze the trigger and hold the trigger back against the frame/grip. Now rack the slide to cock the gun holding the trigger back and then let the trigger move forward again, only to the reset point or "click". Now squeeze the trigger again. That's the reset. Typically, the reset point of the gun is usually 30-40 percent lighter than the full pull of the trigger - except for Sig DAK actions.

On the gun I have, the trigger is very smooth and around 6 lbs at full pull. At the reset point, my best guess is it's around 3 or so, maybe less - hard to tell with as smooth as it is.

The only thing I would criticize is the design of the takedown pin. The end of the pin is square cut - that is it's cut flat on the end with no bevel. It is impossible to "gently pin in" - as it says in the instructions because the flat/square cut end of the pin has to pass the spring that holds it at the detent. I took mine to the grinder to create a bevel in one spot then dressed it with emory cloth and it's much better. Still difficult to install and aligning the barrel catch at center is a little tricky but I think when it's got some rounds through it, it will be better.

That said, this is a good gun to carry and shoot and I am far happier with it than I was/am with my P3AT.

I can easily recommend this gun.

Steve Aikens
    NM-CCW
    NRA Training Counselor
    Handgunlaw.us, Founder

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    ive been hawking my dealer for months waiting for this gun to arrive and they just got their first this week...i handled it tday and am very impressed with it in comparison to the ruger and kel tec...trigger pull is smooth as silk with a nice break and the appearance of the gun is head and shoulders above the competition...add to that a slide that stays open on an empty mag...2 mags supplied with the pistol...and youve got a winner in my book...i'm trying to hold out for all blue but it was hard to walk out without that baby in my hands today....

ive become a big fan of taurus pistols...i know a few years back they had some serious problems...but i know quite a few people at the range and myself sho own several of the newer guns and we are nothing but pleased with them...i would carry my either of my taurus guns into battle as quickly as i would my glock or smith...

nice job on this pocket piece...

Well, here's an update on the TCP. The one I posted about earlier is fine.

However, my Range Safety Officer also bought one. He had several problems with it. Magazine fell free on each shot, stovepipes, slide wouldn't lock back manually - it did when fired. The dealer sent it back and it took about a week for it's return with a new slide. He hasn't fired it yet but I'll post when he does.

On the other hand, I bought another one to give my wife. She's been carrying a Sig P239 for several years and has decided she wants something smaller and lighter for deeper concealment when it's necessary. Didn't have time to check it out at the shop but when I got it home and started to check it out, I noted the slide failed to lock forward into battery. Took it apart, cleaned and lubed it and tried again, no joy. I took it back and the shop swapped it out for me with one that seems to work fine. When I get time, I'll go test fire it and see how it does. Hope it's fine. More than anything else - .380 ammo is near non-existent and I'm almost out of range junk. Still sitting on some PP rounds but jeez.

Steve Aikens
    NM-CCW
    NRA Training Counselor
    Handgunlaw.us, Founder

I ran another 50 through mine last weekend. I have 150 through it now and not a single problem.

Bought a TCP a couple of weeks ago, and just got back from the range. Numerous jams, and the slide failing to return to battery within 30 rounds. That's how many rounds I got through it before the mag release catch broke in half and fell out of the gun.

My inner voice told me "they're still junk," but did I listen? No. I thought it would make a difference that these were made in the USA. I guess not. I guess now I get to deal with their crappy customer service. Hope they at least have a reasonable turn around. Can't wait to unload it when it gets back.

Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaquero 45 View Post
    Bought a TCP a couple of weeks ago, and just got back from the range. Numerous jams, and the slide failing to return to battery within 30 rounds. That's how many rounds I got through it before the mag release catch broke in half and fell out of the gun.

My inner voice told me "they're still junk," but did I listen? No. I thought it would make a difference that these were made in the USA. I guess not. I guess now I get to deal with their crappy customer service. Hope they at least have a reasonable turn around. Can't wait to unload it when it gets back.

Sorry to hear that you had problems with yours. I have one and have shot about 200 rounds through mine and have not had any problems. I cleaned mine before I first shot it and then cycled the slide back and forth about 100-200 times before my first range session. I hope this helps. God Bless

I've been eyeballing these myself, but I bought a Taurus PT709 Slim 9mm that is pert near (that's an official term here in the mountains) the same size. It's been great. I'm still going to keep my eye on these. They are also coming out with a Slim 740 single stack 40 caliber soon. I bought a XD40sc a few weeks ago and am very pleased with it. The new Taurus CC guns I've handled and shot seem very nice.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Member of family bought a TCP and we fire 100 rounds at range last week in with no FTF or FTE.

We ran WWB ammo and were very accurate with TCP.

I like the carry case that comes with the TCP, so I found one made by Bull Dog that is the same size and quality, it fits my P3AT and gives me another method of carry.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    Sorry to hear that you had problems with yours. I have one and have shot about 200 rounds through mine and have not had any problems. I cleaned mine before I first shot it and then cycled the slide back and forth about 100-200 times before my first range session. I hope this helps. God Bless
    Cleaned mine as well. Multiple problems with Federal Hydrashoks and regular old Speer Lawman FMJ. In any event, no amount of cleaning and racking the slide addresses the broken mag catch. Upon close examination, it appears to be an MIM part. Figures. Buy cheap, get cheap, I guess. Lesson learned. Glad some of you haven't had any problems. Hope your good luck carries you through if you ever have to use your gun to defend your life.

Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

I've been kicking myself for selling my LCP and was going to go tomorrow to pick up a P3AT. After hearing all of the good reports on the TCP I may wait until m dealer has one in stock. I EDC a pt145 and have a 709. The TCP would make a Taurus trio lol.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Vaquero 45 View Post
    Cleaned mine as well. Multiple problems with Federal Hydrashoks and regular old Speer Lawman FMJ. In any event, no amount of cleaning and racking the slide addresses the broken mag catch. Upon close examination, it appears to be an MIM part. Figures. Buy cheap, get cheap, I guess. Lesson learned. Glad some of you haven't had any problems. Hope your good luck carries you through if you ever have to use your gun to defend your life.

Is that a metal or plastic piece? That inhales with great force.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links