No lock S&W?

No lock S&W?

This is a discussion on No lock S&W? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone know if there are still some recently released "no lock" S&W snubbies floating around out there? I've seen some info here and there ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No lock S&W?

No lock S&W?

Does anyone know if there are still some recently released "no lock" S&W snubbies floating around out there?

I've seen some info here and there stating that S&W put some out lately, but can't seem to find a source.

Appreciate your time.

Regards,
    Bill

Yes, S&W is producing no lock 442's and 642's as well as a model 40 with grip safety.

Despite the rantings of the S&W apologists that S&W CAN'T produce no lock revolvers, or my favorite "These are just left over frames!!".

It is foolishness IMO, to use an IL equipped revolver for any serious purpose. I count on S&W's greed to keep these lock free revolvers in the line up. Regards 18DAI.

They are out there..just look on Gunbroker. I had to compromise when I bought my M&P 340. Because I specifically wanted the .357 capability. I havent had any problems with mine yet.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    They are out there..just look on Gunbroker. I had to compromise when I bought my M&P 340. Because I specifically wanted the .357 capability. I havent had any problems with mine yet.
    +1

I have the lock but never use it.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I also have the lock on a Model 438 but I never use it and, in fact, don't even think about it. It's certainly not a show-stopper.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    +1

I have the lock but never use it.
    Just because you don't use it doesn't mean that it won't engage after enough rounds are fired through your gun. Go to the S&W forum and you will see complaints of this happening.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    Just because you don't use it doesn't mean that it won't engage after enough rounds are fired through your gun. Go to the S&W forum and you will see complaints of this happening.
    I bought it used so I don't know the total mileage. I put well over 300 rounds of .38 spl and about 80 rounds of .357 mag though. No issues yet.

Just like anything else mechanical things can fail. Just cause some people have issues doesn't mean all will. I guess I'm lucky.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    It is my understanding that if you simply ignore the lock, don't use it etc.. There is no reason for concern. Right, wrong or whatever, I've gotten this answer from a number of people who should know. My 637 has a lock. Never touched it and have no reason to do so.

Merry Christmas

Craig

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Seeing a 2.5" S&W 686 lock up with no help from the owner made me a hard core anti lock guy. 1 time could be your last if it happens when you need it the most.

You can still buy a used 686 pre lock for less money.

Do yourself a favor and buy a older no IL S&W. More reliable weapon and sends S&W a message.

Here is a good thread from the S&W Forum on a NEWER S&W.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-rev...e-642-1-a.html

Lock with the new models are just a few of the major problems with them. Locks engaging, cracked frames, barrels seperating............

Call me old school but I love the OLD Smiths! NONE of mine have had any of these problems. My only S&W revolver sent in for repair was my 6" model 57 .41 mag I shot loose and needed a new hand and shimmed up.
    Last edited by Sportsterguy; December 9th, 2009 at 08:57 PM.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Have a 396 in .44 spec. Never tried the lock and no problems.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsterguy View Post
    Do yourself a favor and buy a older no IL S&W. More reliable weapon and sends S&W a message.
    It doesn't send them a very clear message. They don't know they missed out on a sale, let alone the reason for the lost sale. If enough gun buyers wrote letters to S&W, THAT would send a message.

But you're correct, I'd prefer a slightly used gun pre lock over a new lock model. I've been looking for the right pre-lock S&W snubby for a while. I found it several times, but I've only recently come to accept that certain models are just not available for the price they were a year ago.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DistantHorizon View Post
    It doesn't send them a very clear message. They don't know they missed out on a sale, let alone the reason for the lost sale. If enough gun buyers wrote letters to S&W, THAT would send a message.

But you're correct, I'd prefer a slightly used gun pre lock over a new lock model. I've been looking for the right pre-lock S&W snubby for a while. I found it several times, but I've only recently come to accept that certain models are just not available for the price they were a year ago.
    By not buying their product is an indirect message. I wrote them myself several times to make my complaints on their IL revolvers.

I'm a S&W fanatic. Send me a PM and I'll try to hook you up.

VR/

SG
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Couldn't a gunsmith fix the lock permanently?
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

VIP Member
    Anyone can fix the lock permanently.... I did mine, it took about 10 minutes...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    You don't fix it you remove it, the locking mechanism that is. I removed mine and it takes about 15-20 min. to remove it from the gun. Its easy even with basic mechanical/gunsmithing skills, nothing to it. It does not leave a hole in the frame all you are removing is the internal "flag" which is what disables (locks the hammer) the gun when locked.

While I did remove mine and the gun functions 100 percent reliably its really not needed and the so called cases of guns locking up under recoil are vastly exagerated. Another internet myth basically. But its so easy to remove why not do it, and its a good time to clean out the insides while you are at it. And again .....It DOES NOT leave an open hole... the weapon looks EXACTLY the same after the locking mechanism is removed.

Here's how step by step, great video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVPYgohVCNM
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links