SC CWP, can I buy in GA

SC CWP, can I buy in GA

This is a discussion on SC CWP, can I buy in GA within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone, Me, my wife and a buddy will be going to a gun show in GA on 19 Dec. We are stationed in SC. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SC CWP, can I buy in GA

Hey everyone,

Me, my wife and a buddy will be going to a gun show in GA on 19 Dec. We are stationed in SC. Whats the laws about buying guns in other states? I have looked into it and all i can see is that you can buy a gun in your state of residency. Cant find anything that says you cant buy in another state. Are there different laws for Active military? Am I able to bring my orders and buy anywhere? I appreciate the help.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

NRA Member.

G17 CC of choice.

As a non-resident, you can not buy a gun and take it home with you. You may buy and pay for one in GA and have it shipped to an FFL in SC, then pick it up from them.

The only thing CWP does for you (in your home state) is eliminates the need for the background check when buying a gun.

Ok, so get it shipped to any gun store that has a FFL? Now does that pertain to buying a gun for someone else? For example, my mother is a security guard in FL. She is soon going to be an armed security guard. Im wanting to buy her first gun. Could I pay for it here in SC, then have them send it to a FFL there in FL?
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

NRA Member.

G17 CC of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by LMmarine86 View Post
    Ok, so get it shipped to any gun store that has a FFL? Now does that pertain to buying a gun for someone else? For example, my mother is a security guard in FL. She is soon going to be an armed security guard. Im wanting to buy her first gun. Could I pay for it here in SC, then have them send it to a FFL there in FL?
    Technically you can't legally buy a firearm for someone else, it's called a straw purchase. What does work is if you do the legwork and find the gun in a shop where she can go and do all the paperwork and have the shop bill you. That, or see if they will sell you a gift certificate so she can just go pick it up and fill out the forms.

"NC Bullseye" is right, and that's probably the easiest way to buy a gun for her. You can buy a gun and make a gift of it in most states. Here again, the trick is both the giver and the givee must reside in the same state. If you can get a weekend leave, a trip to FL to help her pick one might be a good mom/son bonding thing. She can buy it, you can pay for it.

Remember, guide her but let her pick it out.

Delete item 4 for open or duty carry.

The "best" gun is the one YOU like, not anyone else. It will be a compromise of:

1. Fit - It should fit in your hand like you were born with it there.
    2. Reliability - It should go BANG about 99.8% of the time you pull the trigger.
    3. Accuracy - In YOUR hand. It's how well YOU shoot it.
    4. Concealability - It should be comfortable enough to wear and easy enough to conceal so you won't leave it laying on the dresser at home.
    5. Cost - You don't want to scrimp on your "life protector" weapon, but you probably don't need a $1,000 Kimber, either.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    In most states a nonresident can buy a rifle or shotgun but not a handgun.
    In any case your SC CWP is not recognized in GA so be careful traveling there.
    Buying a gift gun was covered well previously. Nothing to add except maybe a good excuse for a vacation to Florida.
    Last edited by Brady; December 9th, 2009 at 02:07 PM. Reason: spelling
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Technically you can't legally buy a firearm for someone else, it's called a straw purchase. What does work is if you do the legwork and find the gun in a shop where she can go and do all the paperwork and have the shop bill you. That, or see if they will sell you a gift certificate so she can just go pick it up and fill out the forms.

here s the definition of a straw purchase

NOTICE the part ," prohibited by law from possessing"

Straw Purchasing

Buying a gun for someone who is prohibited by law from possessing one or for someone who does not want his or her name associated with the transaction is a "straw purchase."

1.An illegal firearm purchase (straw purchase) is a federal crime.

2.An illegal firearm purchase can bring a felony conviction sentence of ten years in jail and a fine of up to $250,000.

3.Buying a gun for someone who can't can cost you your good name and land you in big trouble.

Never buy a gun for someone who is unwilling or unable to do so.

Whatever you do, Don't Lie for the Other Guy!

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself."
    Mark Twain
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You can buy a long gun or shotgun, but not a handgun (Fed. Law) in a state in which you are NOT a resident.

"Technically you can't legally buy a firearm for someone else, it's called a straw purchase. "
    True, but if his mother is legally eligible to purchase a weapon and she pays him for it (buys it from him) all is legal (in Florida). What you can't do is buy a gun for someone who couldn't legally buy ine themself (due to a felony, etc.).
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    If your home state is GA, you are active duty and you are stationed in SC you may buy a handgun in GA and SC (with a copy of your orders).

So, there is a difference for Active duty. As active duty, you can buy in your home state - Home of Record (if you maintain your DL and residency by noting it as your Home of Record) and your duty state (with proof...your orders... you are stationed there).

Semper fi, Devil Dog.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Quote Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
    If your home state is GA, you are active duty and you are stationed in SC you may buy a handgun in GA and SC (with a copy of your orders).

So, there is a difference for Active duty. As active duty, you can buy in your home state - Home of Record (if you maintain your DL and residency by noting it as your Home of Record) and your duty state (with proof...your orders... you are stationed there).

Semper fi, Devil Dog.
    Well Fl is my home of record however I have a DL in SC. (had to change it in order to be exempt from taking the DMVs motorcycle course when I got the license).

So if I'm understanding this all correctly, I CAN purchase a gun for my mother without it being a "straw purchase" because I know she IS able to buy one (no felony or other reason not to be able).

Ok. Another question. Let's say I go to the PX on base and buy the gun she wants. (let's just say because it's the best price I find) I know upon my purchase it gets registered in my name in the state of SC. How would I be "legally" allowed to give that gun as a gift to my mother that is a resident of FL? This is where I get confused. Because "technically" I am still a resident of FL since I don't pay state taxes that SC requires. I have a "resident" or atleast what I believe to be a resident permit of SC. According to the ATF website if I'm reading it correctly says: one can only sell a handgun to another resident of the same state. Now I'm NOT selling. But giving. Since I'm stationed in SC - like you were saying about active duty mil being different am I able to sell to a SC res AND a FL res? Sorry if I confused anyone.

NRA Member.

G17 CC of choice.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You're making this too complicated. As long as your mom is legally allowed to purchase a firearm, you can give or sell her a gun. If it makes you feel better, sell it to her for $1. The only issue is whether the warrenty transfers or not, and that is a manufacturer issue.

As for the PX issue, get a signed bill of sale/transfer from her, proof that you transferred ownership to her by whatever means.

My son bought my Glock for me (in Fl) because the store is where he lives (in Fl also). I wrote him a check for the full amount (sold to me, who can legally purchase a firearm). It was a matter of convenience.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I appreciate your input old vet but there seems to be a little more red tape in my case. I'm not concerned about the gift or the selling part. Your son purchased a gun for you in the state you BOTH reside in. I am not sure if I am still an actual resident of Fl still. I mean unless my home of record being fl means I am. In that case I have no more questions. But if the fact is I'm not a resident anymore then my question still stands. How can I give this gun to her legally?

NRA Member.

G17 CC of choice.

VIP Member
    Marine, what is your Home of Record, what State is your Driver's License?

If the answer is FL to both, then you are a FL resident, it doesn't matter what state you live in because of orders.

If you changed your license for some reason to SC, then you are a SC resident and you need to change your HOR the next time you re-enlist and start paying SC taxes as you changed your State of Residence by your own act. So, the answer to your question (I was an Admin Officer as an additional duty for a few years while in the squadrons and used to deal with this all the time) you are a SC resident and no longer a FL resident. You must make all of your paperwork match! Go see your admin office and your tax folks ASAP. You need to take care of your personal affairs as you took a resident SC DL and a SC resident CCP and are considered a resident. The tax folks will be none too happy if you don't start paying them their due. You would have been better off remaining a FL resident and taking the d*** test! Don't delay, this will catch up to you, especially in this age of computers and cross checking.

You are a SC resident and want to gift a gun to your Mom in FL, then you can do so if there is no law in FL that prevents her from owning a firearm and prevents that firearm from entering the State, you just can't ship it to her, you must give it to her FTF.

It isn't that hard.

S/F
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

It may be me, but you seem a little hostile Chorizo. You say it isn't that hard, but that seems pretty damn hard without the correct info. Thanks for the input former Devil Dog.

NRA Member.

G17 CC of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
    Marine, what is your Home of Record, what State is your Driver's License?

If the answer is FL to both, then you are a FL resident, it doesn't matter what state you live in because of orders.

If you changed your license for some reason to SC, then you are a SC resident and you need to change your HOR the next time you re-enlist and start paying SC taxes as you changed your State of Residence by your own act. So, the answer to your question (I was an Admin Officer as an additional duty for a few years while in the squadrons and used to deal with this all the time) you are a SC resident and no longer a FL resident. You must make all of your paperwork match! Go see your admin office and your tax folks ASAP. You need to take care of your personal affairs as you took a resident SC DL and a SC resident CCP and are considered a resident. The tax folks will be none too happy if you don't start paying them their due. You would have been better off remaining a FL resident and taking the d*** test! Don't delay, this will catch up to you, especially in this age of computers and cross checking.

You are a SC resident and want to gift a gun to your Mom in FL, then you can do so if there is no law in FL that prevents her from owning a firearm and prevents that firearm from entering the State, you just can't ship it to her, you must give it to her FTF.

It isn't that hard.

S/F

I am a Marine Admin guy and that is not true. As an Active Duty Marine your home of record is going to be were you enlisted in the service until 1) you retire 2) you EAS. As an active duty Marine with orders it does not matter were you get your DL from, I live in SC and while I was AD my HOR was Ohio. Even after I got a new DL in SC my HOR was still OH. As for the purchasing of a handgun, with PCS orders you are able to make purchases in that state you are Stationed in and in your HOR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links