My experiences with a Taurus 85UL - Page 2

My experiences with a Taurus 85UL

This is a discussion on My experiences with a Taurus 85UL within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have the 851UL SS. It's my daily carry. I actually hate it very much. The first 2 times to the range, the cylinder wouldn't ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My experiences with a Taurus 85UL

I have the 851UL SS. It's my daily carry. I actually hate it very much. The first 2 times to the range, the cylinder wouldn't fully rotate to the next round. A star gear flaw from what I'm reading. The third time to the range was AOK and I've been carrying knowing that if my life depended on it, I might only get one shot off ;-< I will send it back to be repaired if I confirm the flaw at the range again and I will be selling it as soon as the factory repairs it. POS as far as I'm concerned. The MRS has had good luck with her Taurus PT92 stainless but I can't stand the sight picture it presents. The front blade basically covers the target to get a bullseye. She doesn't mind it but I think that's because she hasn't shot a nice site picture pistol. No sir, no more Taurus's for me.
    Whitestone Castle Armory, Austin TX
    http://www.wcarmory.com/
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com

Quote Originally Posted by sddykstr View Post
    Dude, Taurus CS is dreadful, and it takes forever. Their guns are hit and miss, they either work great forever or are horrible from the get go.
    180 degrees apart from my experience with 3 Tauruses.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Taurus Customer Service is taking about 6-8 weeks for warranty repairs...

If you had the gun for 1 year or less, Taurus is supposed to pick up the tab for shipping... anything over 1 year, its on you. they'll still fix it free because of the lifetime warranty but you've got to get it to them.

I personally have a PT1911 that I've sent back 2 times now for the same issue (hammer drop) and I'm going to trade it in on something else. I don't hate Taurus because I know ALL manufacturers put out problems... I'm just not willing to chance that I'll get another problem from Taurus... I'll be giving Dan Wesson a shot.

I've never had a problem with a Taurus. I have an 85, as does my uncle and grandmother. All three have been great pistols. Sounds like you got a lemon. It happens to all companys. I blew up my Ruger SP101 in .357 while shooting .38's. Ruger took it and claimed the problem was their fault and replaced the gun.
    God Bless America!!

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    Sorry to hear all that....my 85UL is one of my favorite carry guns....cuz I don't mind if it gets scratched up or dropped. It has been great since the day I got it.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

NRA Life Member

Bought a Taurus 85UL a while ago. It had this weird little quirk that, if the slack was taken up in the trigger (about 1/16 of an inch) the cylinder would freely rotate to the next round. Other than that it performed well and without a hitch. I ended up selling it to a friend who wanted it. My reasons for selling it was 1. Dislike of the design (hold a S&W or Ruger in one hand, the Taurus 85 in the other and you should feel what I mean) and 2. I started carrying a Walther PPK. Never regretted selling the little Taurus, but I can't exactly knock it either. It never failed to fire or perform.
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    I broke a 442 S&W be for I put ammo in it. Had to send it for repair be for I got to shoot it. Some days you get the Elevator, some days you get the shaft.

Traded in my CZ75 for a Taurus M85 UL.......needed a lighter carry.

Took it to the range yesterday and it shot flawlessly.........

read on some other sights that folks take the side plate off and clean it out to get rid of the grit for a bettter trigger pull. I did that. Bunch of stuff in there I've never seen and not much room to clean......I don't recomend if you don't need to.

Has the small grip that I tought of changing out for a full size but after shooting it I have no need. I liked the way that it handled and shot.

My blue 85ul has been flawless.

That hole in the crane is a casting flaw and scares me and I'd send it back. I don't know if the crane is MIM but thats the same type of flaw I get in precious metal clay (which is basicly MIM silver) when the polymer and metal powder isn't in the exact ratio in a given spot. the polymer burns out and with no metal powder to fuse you get a hole.

The hole in my crane is perfectly round and smooth with a roll pin sitting flush in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Risque007 View Post
    Bought a Taurus 85UL a while ago. It had this weird little quirk that, if the slack was taken up in the trigger (about 1/16 of an inch) the cylinder would freely rotate to the next round. Other than that it performed well and without a hitch. I ended up selling it to a friend who wanted it. My reasons for selling it was 1. Dislike of the design (hold a S&W or Ruger in one hand, the Taurus 85 in the other and you should feel what I mean) and 2. I started carrying a Walther PPK. Never regretted selling the little Taurus, but I can't exactly knock it either. It never failed to fire or perform.
    Mine does this too, but I don't believe is the cause of my trigger lockup "failures" at the range.
    Last edited by Angry Bill; December 21st, 2009 at 12:37 AM.
    Whitestone Castle Armory, Austin TX
    http://www.wcarmory.com/
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar

Picked it up yesterday

I called about the Taurus 85UL again last thursday (14Jan).

The lady I spoke to had no clue. All she could tell me was "it is in receipt awaiting repairs". No kidding!? It was shipped to them on 17Nov. I was at work and things were getting busy and I was frustrated so I let her go and vowed to call again Monday Morning and speak to a supervisor.

Well I checked my email Monday and there was an email from Taurus. It said;

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Friday, January 15, 2010 4:30 PM

WARRANTY SERVICE NOTICE OF SHIPMENT
    RE: Service Order #XXXXXX

Dear Valued Customer,
    We have completed the requested warranty service to your merchandise and it will shipped to you overnight with “Adult Signature Required” requested.

Please note the following for tracking purposes:
    Carrier: Priority Overnight FedEX
    Tracking Number: XXXXXXXXXXXX

Your merchandise is currently on the dock, awaiting pickup from the carrier

We are totally committed to the very highest standards of customer satisfaction.

Customer Service

Please do not respond to this email. This mailbox is unmonitored.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It arrived Monday Morning at the gun shop.
    So I went and picked it up yesterday after work. I hope to test fire it Saturday, weather and Grandchildren permitting.
    I'll let you all know the results.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

looking forward to hearing about the results. I have an 85UL too that I need to send back for repair, because the cylinder won't fit into the frame

No probs with my 651SS

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Didn't mean to leave you hanging. I still haven't been able to get out and shoot this bugger. I have dry fired it with some caps. It seems to be fine. After inspecting it though, it appears to me that they replaced the transfer bar with one a bit heavier than the original. I'll try to drop by a friends place and compare as he has the same model except for a spur hammer. Got to get some range time soon!
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

I grew up shooting S&W. I own a K frame smith that has a buttery smooth trigger along with several other smiths. I shot a Taurus 85 this weekend and wow. I was really impressed with the trigger it was smooth as silk and my accuracy was better than I expected from such a small gun. That being said the only thing that has me still debating a 642 vs 85 is I know without a doubt if anything ever happens to the Smith my fault or the gun that they will take care of fast and friendly. I have had dealings with Taurus customer service (or lack there of) and realized at that time that S&W had spoiled me. I was asking for a spring and they said I would have to mail in the gun. I broke a slide on my Smith and they sent me a new one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links