Odd Malfunction with Springfield GI

This is a discussion on Odd Malfunction with Springfield GI within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just enough that you can slip an empty case rim under the extractor and have it held in place. My 1911 guru looked at it ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Odd Malfunction with Springfield GI

Just enough that you can slip an empty case rim under the extractor and have it held in place. My 1911 guru looked at it again today and declared that the tension was good to go.

Jake

I also took it out today and made sure there was no crud around it.
    "They kept tryin' to put me in the ground, but I wasn't ready"

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by TarletonRanger
    Well, 100 rounds of what I'm goin' to fire will be Winchester 230gr FMJ. Just picked up a value box today at Wally World for $20.99.

I'll be using all three of my magazines. 1 Springfield Armory Mag that came with the gun. 1 Kimber Magazine. 1 Chip McCormick 8 round mag, that I will only load 7 rounds in.
    Oh goody...I forgot they were out of stock on the 100s last time I was in there. I'll have to stock up again soon :)

The McCormicks should do fine; I've never had a single problem with mine from day one. If you still have any doubts about the mags, you should have little trouble borrowing some known-good ones.

Now, who's this 1911 guru? I might have a few questions for him at some point :)

Administrator
    Extractor.............
    Have you seen that one diagram concerning adding a radius to the bottom of the extractor hook so that it will be easier for the cartridge cases to clear the extractor and be more easily booted out by the ejector ?

OD*
    This one QK?

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Administrator

Thumbs up OD As Always....................Absolutely........

You Da Man!
    What Can I Say But... "That Be The Exact One!"

OD*
    I just had it handy QK

I actually just used it a few days ago, I had bought a first year Colt Series 70 re-issue from 2002, at that time Colt had tried MIM extractors, fortunately they came to their senses quickly. Anyway, I replaced it with a spring steel job from C&S and needed to adjust it.

~ Tiger McKee

Ok, just got back from my range session with the problematic 1911.

150 rounds. 100 Winchester 230gr FMJ and 50 rounds Blazer Brass. I fired 50 Winchester and then the 50 Blazer shells. No problems. When I was on my second to last magazine of the second 50 round batch of Winchester ammo, I had a stove pipe. I cleared the gun and locked the slide back to take a look. There was fouling and powder grains all around the extractor. I wiped off what I could and reloaded.

The remaining rounds went off without a hitch. After this I loaded up two magazines full of 230 gr Gold Dots. 14 rounds and no problem. I think whatever the gunsmith did yesterday may have fixed my issue.

I think the stove pipe should be attributed to the gunk around the extractor....what do ya'll think?

Jake

could be but # your mags and start writing down which mag the gun malfunctions with ya could have bum mag to

well i would have thought no prob .pm me to were i send the money for the box of ammo. hope you get it figured out quick with not much cost or time .
    elance

The stovepipe occured with my springfield magazine. Once I got it home and stripped the gun for cleaning, I went a step further and removed the extractor.

There was a a good deal of "gunk" built up on the extractor and upon peering inside the slot that the extractor goes in.....it looked like the muzzle of a blackpowder rifle. I cleaned it out good with a pipe cleaner, and COMPLETELY dried the extractor and did not lubricate it upon reassembly.

elance, don't worry about the money. I don't really think it was the ammo, or the gun. I don't think it would have waited 130+ rounds to show up ONCE if it had been. I really think it was the extreme build up of gunk that I saw.

Jake

well if you dont think you wasted your money on it ok .

also today i heard winchester is going out of business , plus i bought 2 of the four value packs wally had . might explain why some of your local stores haven't restocked them . i hope this isn't true being i love their ammo and don't want to go thru the process of finding another brand.

good luck with it and thanks for letting me off the hook jake.

elance

OD*
    Winchester-Olin isn't going out of business and that's who produces the Winchester line of ammunition. FN Herstal leases the manufacturing rights and the Winchester name from Olin Industries, they have closed (March 31st) the New Haven Conn. plant which produced the Models 70, 94 and 1300 series shotguns.

~ Tiger McKee

OD's got it right elance! The New Haven Conn. plant has shut down and stopped production on the Model 70 and 94 rifles as well as the 1300 shotgun. Their ammo will still be produced, but it wouldn't surprise me to see another jump in prices soon.

To tell the truth, I actually liked the WWB ammo. It was pretty dang accurate, even though it did seem rather dirty.

Jake

I've noticed 3 or 4 stovipipes in the first 500 rounds through my GI champ (and it hasn't been cleaned, since my initial detail stripping upon purchase). I don't believe it's the extractor. I think it's a combination of three things...(1) the gun is just now starting to smooth up a little, (2) the chamber is not polished, and (3) the high/narrow port may be restricting ejection.

I will keep shooting it to smooth everything up, get the port lowered a little (less drastic than the milspec or loaded), and polish the chamber.

I take a wodden dowl and insert it in the muzzle far enough to keep the bore brush (wrapped in oiled 000 copper mesh), from contacting the rifling. The bore brush is set in a power drill and inserted into the breech. I've had good results using this method in the past.

After doing these three things, I'm fairly certain that any hiccups will disappear. Good luck with yours, and keep shooting!
    Guns don't kill people; People with mustaches kill people.

i went straight there from here yesterday and saw just what you said . i guess now if you want a 94 it will be japanese made . weird huh? i'm always slow to know stuff being i live in my own little world, until it gets affected.

and i guess i do remember my gi being "stiff" when i first got it. but i blamed 4 or 5 mags and that black hills stuff, started shooting the win 230 fmj with only 1 or 2 hiccups.

it is a lot cleaner and doesn't foul the barrel at all hardly .

anyway good luck thanks
    elance

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links