Defensive Carry banner

Odd Malfunction with Springfield GI

3K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  David III 
#1 ·
Howdy all. I've had my Springfield GI since Oct. and haven't had any problems with it at all. This weekend, that changed.

I fired 100 rounds out of the pistol and had 4 FTE with 2 different magazines that have worked great in the past. Ammo was 50 rounds, CCI Blazer Brass and 50 rounds American Eagle.

The first two malfunctions occured with a Chip McCormick mag, but they were not what I wopuld consider mag related jams. The cartridge was fired, but was still held in place by the extractor with the case mouth jammed against the barrel at an angle. About 5 shotsd later, I had the same incident happen again.

I changed over to a Kimber magazine and resumed firing. It happened twice more.

I tried to recreate what I saw after I got back home so I could take a picture. This is about as close to what I saw as I could get.

My extractor has been tuned, and I don't really think it has anything to do with the magazines. There is no shock buffer, and the recoil spring is the factory original. I spoke to my gunsmith and he wants to spend 5 minutes polishing the chamber since he believes the casing may be getting hung up while leaving the barrel.

I was shooting good groups in a weaver stance, and do not believe it was limp wristing.

Do ya'll have any ideas?

Jake

See less See more
#27 ·
Winchester-Olin isn't going out of business and that's who produces the Winchester line of ammunition. FN Herstal leases the manufacturing rights and the Winchester name from Olin Industries, they have closed (March 31st) the New Haven Conn. plant which produced the Models 70, 94 and 1300 series shotguns.

#28 ·
OD's got it right elance! The New Haven Conn. plant has shut down and stopped production on the Model 70 and 94 rifles as well as the 1300 shotgun. Their ammo will still be produced, but it wouldn't surprise me to see another jump in prices soon.

To tell the truth, I actually liked the WWB ammo. It was pretty dang accurate, even though it did seem rather dirty.

Jake

#29 ·
I've noticed 3 or 4 stovipipes in the first 500 rounds through my GI champ (and it hasn't been cleaned, since my initial detail stripping upon purchase). I don't believe it's the extractor. I think it's a combination of three things...(1) the gun is just now starting to smooth up a little, (2) the chamber is not polished, and (3) the high/narrow port may be restricting ejection.

I will keep shooting it to smooth everything up, get the port lowered a little (less drastic than the milspec or loaded), and polish the chamber.

I take a wodden dowl and insert it in the muzzle far enough to keep the bore brush (wrapped in oiled 000 copper mesh), from contacting the rifling. The bore brush is set in a power drill and inserted into the breech. I've had good results using this method in the past.

After doing these three things, I'm fairly certain that any hiccups will disappear. Good luck with yours, and keep shooting!

#30 ·
i went straight there from here yesterday and saw just what you said . i guess now if you want a 94 it will be japanese made . weird huh? i'm always slow to know stuff being i live in my own little world, until it gets affected.

and i guess i do remember my gi being "stiff" when i first got it. but i blamed 4 or 5 mags and that black hills stuff, started shooting the win 230 fmj with only 1 or 2 hiccups.

it is a lot cleaner and doesn't foul the barrel at all hardly .

anyway good luck thanks
elance

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.