Odd Malfunction with Springfield GI

This is a discussion on Odd Malfunction with Springfield GI within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Howdy all. I've had my Springfield GI since Oct. and haven't had any problems with it at all. This weekend, that changed. I fired 100 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Odd Malfunction with Springfield GI

Odd Malfunction with Springfield GI

Howdy all. I've had my Springfield GI since Oct. and haven't had any problems with it at all. This weekend, that changed.

I fired 100 rounds out of the pistol and had 4 FTE with 2 different magazines that have worked great in the past. Ammo was 50 rounds, CCI Blazer Brass and 50 rounds American Eagle.

The first two malfunctions occured with a Chip McCormick mag, but they were not what I wopuld consider mag related jams. The cartridge was fired, but was still held in place by the extractor with the case mouth jammed against the barrel at an angle. About 5 shotsd later, I had the same incident happen again.

I changed over to a Kimber magazine and resumed firing. It happened twice more.

I tried to recreate what I saw after I got back home so I could take a picture. This is about as close to what I saw as I could get.

My extractor has been tuned, and I don't really think it has anything to do with the magazines. There is no shock buffer, and the recoil spring is the factory original. I spoke to my gunsmith and he wants to spend 5 minutes polishing the chamber since he believes the casing may be getting hung up while leaving the barrel.

I was shooting good groups in a weaver stance, and do not believe it was limp wristing.

Do ya'll have any ideas?

Jake
    "They kept tryin' to put me in the ground, but I wasn't ready"

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    It looks like the slide was not moving back far enough to positively engage the casing with the ejector, or perhaps the ejector is worn or damaged?

Your smith could well be right, too, that the chamber is a bit tight or rough and that is holding the casing up from proper extraction.

I agree that this is unlikely to be magazine related.

Matt

VIP Member
    Looks like what I had with some underpowered cartridges. Not enough juice to throw the slide all the way to the rear. If you haven't had a problem in the past with this ammo, check for gunk on the slide rails that would cause too much friction.

Offhand, I'd say it's probably not an ejector problem; that would show in more than 4 out of 100 rounds.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Senior Moderator
    Could also be a gunky disconnector dragging on the bottom of the slide.

Matt

Thanks for the replies all. It looked to me as though the slide was not coming back far enough to chunk the case.....this led my smith to believe that polishing the chamber would fix the issue. I recon I'll have him do his magic tomorrow when I get a chance.

There was most deffinately no gunk on the slide. Before shooting, I had field stripped the pistol and cleaned and lubricated the slide rails, also freeing any debris around the extractor.

Hopefully this is will get the issue fixed. If not.....I'll seriously consider shipping it to Springfield.

Jake

Sounds and looks like some light loads to me. If it was any other problem I think you would have had more than 4 out of 100 rounds.
    Just my .25 worth
    Let us know what you find.
    Philip L. McCleary
    Security via CCW
    and a lot of practice
    Dispatchers have the best jobs
    we tell the police where to go and they have
    to do it. Policy manual says so.

de N4LNE

1952 - 2006
    I have seen this kind of malfunction frequently. IMO it's usually caused by either a bad extractor or ejector.

To find out if it's the chamber, field strip your pistol, take a fired piece of brass and drop it into the chamber. See if you have to exert any force to get it to seat fully in battery, then try to extract it with your fingernails. If you can without any real effort it's not your chamber.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Well guys I'm PRETTY sure that is wasn't caused from weak loads. The rounds were factory 230gr Blazer and American Eagle rounds.

I just tried to place an empty casing in the chamber and I have to give it a good little push to get it seated. Getting it out is a bit difficult also. You need a good grip with the finger nails and afterwards, there were scratch marks on the casing......I guess that answers my question. This really sounds like a problem that has gone undetected under the radar. Hopefully it will be fixed today.

Jake

yeah, polishing the chamber should help but it sounds like a combination of 'dirty'/rough chamber adn underpowered rounds.
    the underpowered not running the slide to full battery. as was said earlier.
    i know Wolf ammo, which is way underpowered ammo, does that to my guns occassionally.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

just cause its factory dont mean its not underpowdered ive had factory squibs..

Clean chamber real good then try the empty brass cass trick wipe down brass case first then loook at the ejector and extractor if its a stock springfield extractor i would really look hard at it

a cousin had the problem. We fixed it two ways.
    In that particular beginner/stripper .45 to only shoot 230 gr. jacketed hard ball ammo and I tore it down, cleaned and polished with a dremel, the barrel, feed ramp, ejection port, and slide. Gun works 2000% better. NO FTF/FTE
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Quote Originally Posted by TarletonRanger
    There was most deffinately no gunk on the slide. Before shooting, I had field stripped the pistol and cleaned and lubricated the slide rails, also freeing any debris around the extractor.
    What I do for my 1911 from time to time is to detail strip it (all the way) and put all the metal parts on an old windowscreen. Hose it down with at least half a can of the cheapest brake cleaner available, then let it drain, dry it out, and start lubing and reassembling the now completely oil-free pistol.

You'd be amazed how much crud comes out of a "clean" gun when you do it that way. Part of the beauty of the 1911, IMO, is that it's all steel except for the grips, so this method gets pretty much all the crud out.

Also, with 1911 spring kits being cheap from Brownells, you might want to grab a full set just to swap them out any time you have any doubts.

i have the SA GI mil spec , and when i first shot it i tried black hills ammo . it didn't like all of it . it especially didn't like federal cases . before you get carried away go and buy a box of winchester 230 fmj , use the mags the gun came with . and if it don't like them i'll pay for your box of ammo. my experience is missfeed= mag ,failed to extract= ammo .

ammo is the biggest drawback to a 45 it just isn't cheap and you definetly don't want malfunctions on the street .

elance

Well, 100 rounds of what I'm goin' to fire will be Winchester 230gr FMJ. Just picked up a value box today at Wally World for $20.99.

I'll be using all three of my magazines. 1 Springfield Armory Mag that came with the gun. 1 Kimber Magazine. 1 Chip McCormick 8 round mag, that I will only load 7 rounds in.

I figure the problem occured on a "clean" pistol 4 times in 100 rounds on Sunday.......so I ought to see something in 150 continuous rounds. If anything, I may find that it the middle of my range time that my pistol hates Blazer ammo. If that's the problem, I'll be perfectly happy.

I've run a good deal of 230gr Gold Dot's through it without ANY problems......this just seems pretty strange to me.

Jake

OD*
    Jake,

Have you checked your extractor tension?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links