Kahr CW9 loading question

This is a discussion on Kahr CW9 loading question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Took my new Kahr CW9 out yesterday for it's first test run. I really like the gun as it was really accurate. I shot 50 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr CW9 loading question

Kahr CW9 loading question

Took my new Kahr CW9 out yesterday for it's first test run. I really like the gun as it was really accurate. I shot 50 rounds from about 15yards and was really satisfied with the accuracy.

Also, the recoil was very minimal for a small frame 9mm. I was pleasantly surprised with this as well.

My question is concerning the loading of a live round in the chamber. The manual says once the clip is in, to pull the slide completely to the back until the slide stop catches. Then manually release the slide to load the round. I was having problems once the slide caught, getting it to release. Has anyone had any problems with this? Sometimes it would release really easy and load the round by barely pressing on the slide release but sometimes I couldn't get it to release no matter what I tried. There didn't seem to be any pattern to it, however it did seem to get a little more consistant at releasing correctly after I had shot a few clips out. Is it just a matter of it breaking in?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

I've had that same thing happen on a number of my guns, not just my CW9. Most recently was a S&W 1911. When the S&W was straight out of the box, I had to use two thumbs to release the slide release. Got easier with each magazine of ammo fired. After a hundred or so rounds down range it's just like any other gun I own, single thumb no problem. I don't remember what my CW9 was like, that was three years ago. But what you're describing doesn't sound unusual to me, for any semi-auto gun.

Quote Originally Posted by golfnutcasey View Post
    I shot 50 rounds from about 15yards and was really satisfied with the accuracy.
    Hey golfnutcasey,
    I have a CW9 and the first thing I wanted to note is that you should put at least 200 rounds through the gun before considering it reliable, according to the manual on page 11 under Break-In Period.

As far as the question about the magazine release,
    My question is concerning the loading of a live round in the chamber. The manual says once the clip is in, to pull the slide completely to the back until the slide stop catches. Then manually release the slide to load the round. I was having problems once the slide caught, getting it to release. Has anyone had any problems with this? Sometimes it would release really easy and load the round by barely pressing on the slide release but sometimes I couldn't get it to release no matter what I tried.

On page 9 of the manual it states the following:
    NOTE REGARDING SLIDE RELEASE OPERATION: When the slide is held open on an empty magazine, the slide release is very hard to depress. This warns the shooter that the magazine is empty.
    To easily release the slide, either remove the empty magazine or replace it with a loaded magazine. Depressing the slide release will then be much easier.
    I too was puzzled when first working with the CW9 until I found this in the manual. I also like my CW9 and enjoy carrying it everyday I can. Excellent size, concealable, adequate stopping power and for a good price compared to the P and PM series, what more could you ask for?
    I hope this helps.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth keystone... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference."
    - GEORGE WASHINGTON

I have a CW9 and the first thing I wanted to note is that you should put at least 200 rounds through the gun before considering it reliable, according to the manual on page 11 under Break-In Period.
    Yeah, I stopped after 50 rounds to clean it and didn't have time to shoot anymore. But I do plan on putting the 200 through it before I start to carry.

And back to the slide release problem. I understand what you are saying about it being hard to release when there is an empty magazine and that is true. However, my problem is it is hard to release when the clip is loaded and I'm pulling the slide back to load one in the chamber.

Initially I had to press very firmly to get the slide to release on a loaded magazine (Kahr's recommended method of chambering a round). It helped to think of it as a very tiny karate punch: focus a lot of energy, very quickly, into that tiny movement.

Now, after about 3,000 live rounds and several thousand dry-fire clicks, all moving parts move very smoothly and I can reliably and easily chamber rounds either as above or by sling-shotting the slide.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

My question is concerning the loading of a live round in the chamber. The manual says once the clip is in, to pull the slide completely to the back until the slide stop catches. Then manually release the slide to load the round. I was having problems once the slide caught, getting it to release. Has anyone had any problems with this? Sometimes it would release really easy and load the round by barely pressing on the slide release but sometimes I couldn't get it to release no matter what I tried. There didn't seem to be any pattern to it, however it did seem to get a little more consistant at releasing correctly after I had shot a few clips out. Is it just a matter of it breaking in?
    Thanks in advance.
    I believe the manual says to lock the slide back, insert a loaded magazine and drop the slide. I don't use an empty mag & pull the slide back so the slide will lock back, I just pull the slide back and lock it with my weak hand thumb, insert a loaded mag and drop the slide and then top off the mag and re-insert. You can drop the slide from slide lock or just pull back on the slide (so the slide stop releases) and drop the slide.

I tried putting in a loaded mag with the slide in battery and pulling and releasing the slide and it didn't chamber reliably.
    Cloudpeak

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudpeak View Post
    I believe the manual says to lock the slide back, insert a loaded magazine and drop the slide. I don't use an empty mag & pull the slide back so the slide will lock back, I just pull the slide back and lock it with my weak hand thumb, insert a loaded mag and drop the slide and then top off the mag and re-insert. You can drop the slide from slide lock or just pull back on the slide (so the slide stop releases) and drop the slide.
    This is also how I usuall load my Kahrs (P380, PM9, MK9). I've never had an issue with the slide releasing.

VIP Member
    I think it's just the newness of your CW9...Everything on them is pretty tight, until you shoot them a little...I could hardly load the mags to capacity because of the stiff springs, until I had run a few hundred rounds through them....
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudpeak View Post

I tried putting in a loaded mag with the slide in battery and pulling and releasing the slide and it didn't chamber reliably.
    This is where my problem was. I was inserting the loaded mag first and then pulling the slide back until it locked. After I tried it in the reverse order it chambers the round perfectly every time. Thanks

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    my CW9 chambers perfectly by racking the slide. It has since day one, without a single hitch. I have yet to intentionally charge the gun by locking the slide back, inserting a loaded mag, and drop the release lever. I insert mag, rack the round in, drop the mag, top it off, re-insert the mag. Works for me... first time - every time.

surv

Took my new Kahr CW9 out yesterday for it's first test run. I really like the gun as it was really accurate. I shot 50 rounds from about 15yards and was really satisfied with the accuracy.

Also, the recoil was very minimal for a small frame 9mm. I was pleasantly surprised with this as well.

Thanks in advance.
    Congratulations on the new Kahr. I know that Kahr wants you to use the slide stop to load the chamber, but I always rack the slide hand over top with all of my semi-autos. Never had a problem. Even with my Kahrs.

BTW give me 20 push ups for referring to a magazine as a "clip"
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

IMO, The Kahrs have a tight fit and finish for sure. Before I ever took mine to the range I worked the action several hundred times to simulate firing the pistol and work off any tight areas. I then oiled it up and racked it a few more times, I'd say close to three to four hundred times altogether. Before doing this, I had a couple of cases where the top round would nose dive in the mag if I tried to charge the pistol by manually racking the slide. No matter how hard I did it, same thing. After I was done racking the slide several hundred times I did not have the problem again. I took it to the range the next day and put several hundred rounds through it without any problems at all. I can even almost ride the slid back now and still have no problem with the nose diving round. I would call my CW9 a very reliable single stack 9mm and I'm glad to have it in my inventory.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

New to the CW9

I got the CW9 a few days ago and I had been putting the mag in, then pulling the slide back and releasing because it was impossible to push the slide release down with my thumb. Locking the slide back before inserting the mag did the trick as far as how to do it by the manual.

Do you folks carry with a cartridge in the chamber? It's got the striker block, so it should be fine.

New Kahr's are TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT. Lock the slide back a couple dozen times and release it with the slide release. It will start to loosen up a bit. Might want to put a glove on first though...
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

They are definitely tight but they loosen up over time. I love my Kahr's. they are such accurate little shooters and easy to conceal.

Todd, to answer your question, I do keep a round in the chamber at all times. I have no worries of doing this with my Kahrs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links