Tritium Sights Light You Up

This is a discussion on Tritium Sights Light You Up within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In the 1990s I carried pistols with tritium sights. That is until I found during CQB night drills with USMC F.A.S.T marines I was working ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tritium Sights Light You Up

Thumbs down Tritium Sights Light You Up

In the 1990s I carried pistols with tritium sights. That is until I found during CQB night drills with USMC F.A.S.T marines I was working with that the sights light you up in the dark, aka night bulls-eye. I don't use them on my carry guns anymore for this reason. Instead I practice live fire drills every morning including instinctive pointing drills in low light conditions etc. Anyone else here feel the same way about tritium sights, if not why not?
    Last edited by Sunday; December 10th, 2009 at 06:15 PM. Reason: more info

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
    In the 1990s I carried pistols with tritium sights. That is until I found during CQB night drills with USMC F.A.S.T marines I was working with that the sights light you up in the dark, aka night bulls-eye. I don't use them on my carry guns anymore for this reason. Instead I practice live fire drills every morning including instinctive pointing drills in low light conditions etc. Anyone else here feel the same way about tritium sights, if not why not?
    Moral: If you're going to shoot at marines with night vision, night sights aren't good.

Since that's not my circumstance, I'll take the night sights whenever available.

I love night sights, and if I am pulling a gun I am shooting it.

It just helps me with the next few seconds. I doubt ill be doing any several min gun battles
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

I don't plan on pulling my firearm during dark sky events. More likely it will be in a city street or my house.
    I think the +'s of night sights outweigh the -'s.

I go along with the idea that tritium sights make great illumination for night vision.
    On the other hand, I doubt that any night street mugger will be using night vision.

Dark night, dark alley, sights might be needed. I'm going to compromise and have slide milled for just the front sight.

Front sight, press.

2/3 less light back scatter.
    The People Think the Constitution Protects Their Rights;
    Government See IT as an Obstacle to be Over-come.

i dont think he meant they were using night vision. i think he meant the glow from the sites will illuminate you in the dark giving bad guy something to aim at.

I don't think he was talking about NV as well, I remember someone posted on a forum (may have been this one) that he was made by some Norwegians because they could see the glow of the night sights through his shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by dgreen View Post
    i dont think he meant they were using night vision. i think he meant the glow from the sites will illuminate you in the dark giving bad guy something to aim at.
    LOL... I have heard this one before. And obviously it comes from ignorance. They do not throw any illuminating light.

They simply glow in the tubes they are in, which are buried into the sight itself. So that if you can get a look directly at them you can see them. Sort of like the illuminated hand of a watch.

Take your gun into a totally dark bathroom.
    Aim at the mirror.

You will see a "glow" of your face, particularly if you use eyeglasses.
    [my son has an Ultra CDP and has done this]
    Whether it would be seen at 10-200 yards by an enemy without night vision, don't know. But if the enemy has night vision, I'm pretty sure you face would light up with visible light. Of course, IR would probaby show you too.

Bad guy street thugs in civilian settings not likely to be using night vision and IF I have to shoot in a dark place I want the advantage of my sights working.

Right now, I have solid steel plain black Heinie sights installed 20 years ago. I will install a front sight only to try it out in night shooting.
    The People Think the Constitution Protects Their Rights;
    Government See IT as an Obstacle to be Over-come.

Senior Moderator
    One: If it's so dark you have to worry about your night sights illuminating you then you shouldn't be shooting anyway because you won't have proper target identification.

Two: I'm not drawing my firearm until I'm ready to shoot so the threat will already be recognized and addressed long before I have to worry about my night sights.

Three: My husband and I have tried this with BRAND NEW tritium night sights in a pitch black room and neither of us noticed any illumination of ourselves.

Four: This ranks right up there on the level of ridiculousness with the moonlight shining on your stainless barrel giving your position away in a civilian environment.

Five: I'm keeping my night sights.

I have Glock factory night sights and they will glow through a shirt in the dark so I can imagine they could light my face some. I should test that for myself.

That said, I only got them because there wasn't one without them in the store. I think they have a role somehow and I like that I have them but I truly do not think I will be looking down the sights directly in a SD situation. I only practice with my peripheral vision noticing the sights in the overall picture. When I am in fight mode I try to take in as much of the view as possible and often find that being aware of everything around you kinda prevents something finer like focusing on your front sight and a target. I can't do both. Just something I noticed about myself - not saying this is how anyone else should practice.

I would still be happy with my Glock if it had come with no nightsights but I'm glad I have them.

Night drills are one thing. Low light is something else. Most civilians will be in low light, not out doing maneuvers in the pitch dark of night.

Furthermore, the BG will usually be close, and able to see you. You are not "giving away" your position by using night sights - you're just better able to see your sights.

Different mission, different tools. If I was hunting an enemy in the dark, I would also not want anything giving off a glow, nor anything reflective, nor anything that rattled or made any noise.

Are you going to duct tape your keys together to go to the store at 10pm? Yea, didn't think so.

Don't overthink this. Just get night sights.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Although I have XS Big Dot ns on my 1911, I kind of feel like they're over rated.

I'm not sure about being lit up, but night sights don't help me see the target.

For me that part comes first.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    One: If it's so dark you have to worry about your night sights illuminating you then you shouldn't be shooting anyway because you won't have proper target identification.

Two: I'm not drawing my firearm until I'm ready to shoot so the threat will already be recognized and addressed long before I have to worry about my night sights.

Three: My husband and I have tried this with BRAND NEW tritium night sights in a pitch black room and neither of us noticed any illumination of ourselves.

Four: This ranks right up there on the level of ridiculousness with the moonlight shining on your stainless barrel giving your position away in a civilian environment.

Five: I'm keeping my night sights.
    Nuff said!

Quote Originally Posted by MountainPacker View Post
    Moral: If you're going to shoot at marines with night vision, night sights aren't good.

Since that's not my circumstance, I'll take the night sights whenever available.
    how about: night sights or not, if you shoot at marines you die period.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links