Question for those that own/carry Kimbers - Page 2

Question for those that own/carry Kimbers

This is a discussion on Question for those that own/carry Kimbers within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I own an Eclipse 5" b.b.l. And A stainless pro carry 4", I carry the pro carry for the 7 oz. weight savings , But ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question for those that own/carry Kimbers

I own an Eclipse 5" b.b.l. And A stainless pro carry 4", I carry the pro carry for the 7 oz. weight savings , But both shoot very well. And I have carried the Eclipse,But that was before I bought the pro.

I have a Pro Carry II and it's great. I am short waisted so the 4" is easier for me to draw from concealment. The weight makes it very easy to carry all day.

Kimbers

I have a Desert Warrior, Tac II, Pro Carry, and a Grand Raptor all except for the pro carry are full size . They have the extended mag wells and Ambi safeties. I find that none are hard to conceal. I carry the TacII and the Grand Raptor in a Tucker OWB without any probs and have a Wilson for my Pro Carry. I do use Kydex when I go out and play just to keep down the wear on the finishes. As far as Kimber goes they are great never a hiccup from any of them. Be Safe Out There. Kurt
    [B]Kurt Pietrzak
    [I]Maricopa Shooting Service
    S.W.A.T. ( South West Airsoft Tactical )
    CCW Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Maricopa ,AZ. 85239

Eclipse: I'd like to have one, for a BBQ gun or something. Its way to pretty for me to use as a carry gun (all of mine have minor scratches, holster wear, dirty muzzles, etc, obvious "working" guns), so I havent bothered getting one.

Tactical: Also a pretty pistol, but not to pretty for me to carry everyday. I dont like the grips, magwell, or checkering. I dont really need it, but the ambi safety doesn't bother me.

Custom II: My kinda pistol. Plain jane, no checkering, black rubber grips. The only changes I would make is a night site up front and a short guide rod (with a matching plug).

My 4" isnt easier to carry, nor is it easier to conceal over a 5" (for me), and I'm a 6ft tall, 160lb t-shirt and jeans kinda guy. Sometimes when I sit down, the 4" will pinch my rear, the 5" never does. Both are carried in a MS SS-II.

I see no different in performance in terms of accuracy, however the 5" is much more reliable due to the longer lasting springs, both recoil and magazine. The recoil spring in my 4" gets changed every 500 rounds or so, my 5" is around 2k. My 4" Kimber is a compact and not a pro carry, so it has the shorter grip and the magsprings dont last as long, and I only use seven round magazines in my 5" guns, so the springs last longer than eight rounders.

I prefer steel frames. The only advantage to AL IMO is lighter weight, and the weight doesnt bother me. I throw 125lbs of sheetmetal around all night, so a few ounces to me isnt a big deal.

I do not like thin grips. They change the "feel" too much. All of my single-stack kimbers have the cheap rubber grips from kimber, along with all of my other 1911 pattern pistols.

Thanks so much for all of the advice. I like the Tactical series the best. I handled a 3" Kimber Tactical at a gun show a few months and fell in love with it. Everything about it seems to be more unique than your everyday 1911. Not to mention I can get it in 5" and have a lighter weight gun.

Hi. Coming in late here.
    I carry a 3" Kimber Ultra Carry and LOVE it. Most times I forget I have it on me. I have been carrying for the last month IWB no holster.
    Unless I get into my Jeep (lumbar seats) I totally forget I have it in my pants. One night I am getting ready for bed and a "thump" on the floor reminds me I had a gun in my pants. LOL
    Gotta Love that 3" Kimber ya know.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Were I going to get another 1911, I'd probably go for the CDP for IDPA in the CIA or FBI or DEA or NSA which is still better than WIA or MIA but not as bad as KIA. Can you tell I just love the alphabet and it's near the end of the school year? LOL or I'd get the CDP Compact, if I were going to carry it.

On a serious note, I have to go now as my wife has just called to tell me our living room ceiling has just collapsed from LAST year's hurricane damage...and we still don't have a roofer. She's in a bit of a ummmmm distraught state. Later, folks.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

los
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier
    ....On a serious note, I have to go now as my wife has just called to tell me our living room ceiling has just collapsed from LAST year's hurricane damage...and we still don't have a roofer. She's in a bit of a ummmmm distraught state. Later, folks.
    HIDE THE GUNS!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Hey Ex,
    Some of us "out-of-work" guys might be willing to come do some roofing if it pays.........
    KWIM?
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Coming in late also.
    It sounds like you're leaning toward the Kimber Tactical.
    I'm envious already.
    I was looking for an alloy-framed, full-size 1911 a year ago, but couldn't find one around here and settled for a Springfield.

I have two Kimbers. I carry a Kimber TLE all day, everyday. Obviously, I like it. I've got other 1911's, but I shoot that one best for whatever reason. I'd still like to find a Tactical.

Really, I don't find that much difference between how my steel-framed Kimber and my alloy-framed SA carry. I haven't carried the SA much at all, though. Perhaps I'd see a bigger difference if I had a Lwt one first, then switched to steel.

Something to watch for, if you get a Series II Kimber:
    My TLE is a Series II, and it had a little timimg problem with the firing pin safety. The Series IIs need to have the grip safety squeezed in for it to release the firing pin block. It shouldn't need to be squeezec in all that far. But, mine needed the grip safety squeezed absolutely positively all the way in until it was stopped hard against the frame. ANY less, and the gun would not fire. I had it happen several times the first time I shot it.

I removed the grip safety, and relieved it's "tab" which acts as a stop against the frame, which gave mine more travel. That allowed for a little freeplay after releasing the f.p. safety.
    No trouble in the 3,000+ rds since.

You can check for this before buying (if the seller will allow it) by doing the "pencil test". Take an UNLOADED gun and a pencil, hold the UNLOADED gun muzzle up, drop a pencil down the barrel, cock the UNLOADED gun, squeeze the grip safety in, and dry fire the UNLOADED gun.
    The pencil should launch toward the ceiling from the firing pin striking it.
    By varying how far you squeeze the grip safety in, you can determine where it releases the firing pin safety.
    Myself- I'd prefer it to release at the same time the grip safety releases the trigger to move, but I might accept the gun if it released by mid-travel.

Of course, a used "Series I" is another option.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry in IN
    Of course, a used "Series I" is another option.
    A better option, IMO. All four of mine are Series I.

Yeah, it certainly is the better way to go when you can find them in the model you want.

I bought one of the very first Eclipse's that came on the market and I still think it is the handsomest gun that I own. Given that you do the "right things" as far as concealed carry is concerned, 1911's are not at all hard to use as fine CCW's

GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

I have to admit that I didn't care for the Eclipse's appearance at first. But it's grown on me.
    Maybe it's because I want a 10mm, and Eclipses are the 10mm Kimbers I see.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I own three kimbers. I mostly carry an Ultra Carry II with hogue fingergroove wraparound grips, in a GB MCV holster.
    I do own a TLEII, and a bp ten. too big for warm weather carry IMO.
    I usually use corbon 185 grain +p hp, and remington hp golden sabres.
    I think carrying my baby kimber is "forgetable easy". I own a 4" colt commander and notice a difference between the two. The ultra carry is just a great carry piece, i think they named it correctly. just my .02
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links