Question for those that own/carry Kimbers

This is a discussion on Question for those that own/carry Kimbers within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After I get a Kahr PM9 I will start saving for a 1911 for ccw. I like the Eclipse, Tactical, and the Custom II. Eclipse: ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for those that own/carry Kimbers

After I get a Kahr PM9 I will start saving for a 1911 for ccw. I like the Eclipse, Tactical, and the Custom II.

Eclipse: I love the finish and the fact that there is no ambi saftey. Steel frame would make range sessions more fun and follow up shots would be quicker.

Tactical: Also a cool finish, light weight would make carrying easier, but ambi saftey would print more, Extended mag well makes reloads easier.

Custom II: The price is better.

My question(s) to you guys that own and or carry Kimbers or any 1911s for that matter is: How much easier is it to carry a 4" model iwb over a 5"? What is the difference between the barrels with and without the bushings and how do the perform? Do you recommend the steel or aluminum frames? Also do you put thinner grips on your carry 1911s and if so how much difference do they make for carry.

VIP Member
    I have a Kimber Combat Carry which is the predecessor to the CDP Compact I and II...it mates a Colt Commander-sized slide/barrel to an alloy Colt Officer's ACP-sized frame. It's a joy to carry since it's light, due to the frame's construction and the butt is short, unlike the butt of a Colt Commander or Gov't model which are full-sized/length. As such, this gun is easier to carry than my all steel, full-sized 10mm Dan Wesson PTE-EXP 1911.

The full-sized grip will be a harder to conceal....as such, carrying a five-inch barreled gun will not be much different that carrying four-inch barreled gun in an IWB holster...for me at least. The difference will be in the length of the grips/butt.

An aluminum frame will weigh less so that'll make it easy to carry, but it will recoil a bit more, especially with +P loads. They are still controllable.

My gun has a bushingless barrel and captured spring guide rod which necessitates using a bent paper clip or tool that some guns have to allow you to "capture" the spring on the guide rod. While it's not fun to field strip, it's not impossible to do.

My gun is accurate despite a lack of a bushing.

I don't have thin grips on mine, which will be my next investment for this gun.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

1952 - 2006
    I have the Kimber CDP Compact original model.

I love this gun. Alloy officer's frame, 4" commander barrel. I don't find the captured guide rod to be a problem. This gun shoots every bit as accurately as I can, (OK so I imagine I can shoot that well).

It has an ambi safety and ultra-thin grips. It has the melted look to it and is very comfortable to carry for extended periods of time. I also added a short trigger since I have small hands.

A joy to shoot. Hasn't had a hiccup in over 2,000 rounds.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

I have the Kimber Custom TLE II. Full size 1911 and I do not find it hard to conceal in a owb holster. No ambi safety here, which is one of the reasons I purchased this model. Still have the original rubber grips which I do not like and hope to change them soon but I do not believe I will be going to the thin grips. I have never owned a 1911 that wasn't full sized, but did have the chance to shoot a 4" Kimber and had a lot of failure to feed problems. Mine is still fairly new with only 700 rounds through it but it shoots great and have had no problems.

Thanks for all the info. Maybe I'll just stick with the full-size. I like the bushing more. I plan on putting some grips from www.vzgrips.com, the 320s in Blasted Black Micarta or the thin version of the 320s. They look similar to the grips from Wilson Combat and I bet they would look great.

Now I just have to pick between the Custom II, Tactical Custom II, and the Eclipse Custom II. That will be difficult and I bet I'll change my mind every other day.

Lead Moderator
    4" SA here. Alum frame. I found the LW frame is nice for weight and recoil isn't bad. The 4" hides better than a 5". My SA has thin grip panels and , I like the full size grip for the low cost of mags.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Love my Ultra Carry CDP II. I have the thinner VZ grips(green canvas) and love 'em. At least take a close look at the 3" Kimbers. No +P loads for me but right up there with the Origional Black Talon's.(I'll simply hit 'em more than once.)

Did a F&B and changed to Wilson guts(with the Kimber mag bodies). When you figure out how to hold the weapon for disassembly/reassembly you'll find you don't need that little .032" wire.

I have two identical weapons. One that I train with and the other to carry. One has 700rds thru it,the other one has 3200(or so).

If I could find someone that I thought might believe me,I'd tell them what my training weapon has been subjected to. HELL I'll tell ya,pure HELL. And it still shoots great. Slide to frame fit has some wobble in it but I feel the looseness makes it even more reliable. 3,4,or 5".....just carry a Kimber.---------

Just a small point and at the risk of stirring up a firestorm, ambidexterous safeties are not seen as a good idea on a carry piece by some. They are too easily moved to the off position unintentionally.

My carry piece is presently a Kimber TLE.

Cheers!

Custom 2 here and I love it.
    It is mostly stock as a carry gun should be.
    I do use Wilson mags and bulletproof slide stop.
    I guess I will have to replace the slide stop when I get a lasermax unless Wilson comes out with a bulletproof for the lasermax.
    I like the feel of the full size and can reasonably conceal it.

Ultra Carry

I have a Kimber Ultra Carry with night sights. It is totally stock, including the original rubber grip panels.

I love it.

My preferred ammo is Remington Golden Sabers in 230gr. No control problems. I haven't tried a +P load in it.

I've toyed with the idea of an ambi safety for two reasons:

1. If I have to do a weak-hand draw.

2. As a way to check the safety while concealed.

I've managed once or twice to bump the safety off while in the holster after squirming in a car seat. Not a nice discovery.

Bill

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Ambi safety for me. We train using both hands. I shoot lefty almost as good as righty.

Try shooting with the left hand without the ambi safety. What happens if your right hand/arm gets "damaged" during an altercation ???

This is what I do to students. Put your right hand in your pocket. Put your weapon on the bench. Pick it up,safety off,and fire. And your time is...........Holy crap !!! ---------

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by '75scout
    Thanks for all the info. Maybe I'll just stick with the full-size. I like the bushing more. I plan on putting some grips from www.vzgrips.com, the 320s in Blasted Black Micarta or the thin version of the 320s. They look similar to the grips from Wilson Combat and I bet they would look great.

Now I just have to pick between the Custom II, Tactical Custom II, and the Eclipse Custom II. That will be difficult and I bet I'll change my mind every other day.
    I have the VZ 320s on my Warrior and highly recommend them. They offer a nice grip without feeling like a cheese grater when carrying concealed.

Matt

MattLarson do you carry that Warrior or is it just for range use? If so what holster do you use and is it concealing a 1911 with a rail?

I'm not really considering a 3" 1911 because I already have a GLOCK 26 and will be getting a Kahr PM9, so I'll have enough small autos and need/want a full-size.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by '75scout
    MattLarson do you carry that Warrior or is it just for range use? If so what holster do you use and is it concealing a 1911 with a rail?

I'm not really considering a 3" 1911 because I already have a GLOCK 26 and will be getting a Kahr PM9, so I'll have enough small autos and need/want a full-size.
    I carry the Warrior regularly. I am currently carrying it in a Brommeland Def-Con. Although not designed for the rail, it adapted fine with the gun wrapped in wax paper and left in it overnight.

I also have a Galco IWB holster that was designed for a 5" 1911, and it has also learned to love the rail :-).

I also own a Blade-Tech holster that was made for the Warrior, but it is far less comfortable to carry than the Brommeland.

Under a large / long T-Shirt, the Def-Con conceals nicely.

Matt

Maybe Comp-Tac will start offering their holsters for 1911s with rails. I'm a big fan of Comp-tac and haven't yet found a leather holster I liked more than their kydex holsters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links