No Longer a Kahr Owner

No Longer a Kahr Owner

This is a discussion on No Longer a Kahr Owner within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In no way am I bashing Kahr or anyone who owns one. But today I got off work and decided to clean my Kahr CW9(as ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: No Longer a Kahr Owner

No Longer a Kahr Owner

In no way am I bashing Kahr or anyone who owns one. But today I got off work and decided to clean my Kahr CW9(as I do once or twice a week). As I drew it out of my holster and ejected the mag, I started to pull the slide back and suddenly the gun went off. In no way was my finger by the trigger. I was shocked because I have had 0 problems with it not even a jam. So I had to replace some drywall and thankfully the police were not called. I sold my gun about 3 hours after this happened because honestly I am not comfortable with carrying a weapon that has accidently fired. Not safe to me or anyone around me. On a brighter note I did buy a Ruger LCP. Anyway thats my terrible story of the day. I just Thank God that no one was hurt and that it happened at home and not out in public.
    "It is better to judged by 12, Than to be carried by 6"

"You ask me why I carry so much gear??? I ask you why you are not prepared?"

yikes I've been considering getting a kahr. Thank god no one was hurt.
    When SHTF I don't call 911, I call 1911
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
    Kimber ultra carry II stainless steel
    HK uspc

Well that's no good, glad you're all right and only damaged a bit of wall. I hope you made aware to the buyer today before selling the firearm that it had this malfunction... in everyone's best interests.

How far back had you pulled the slide? I'm trusting that you didn't pull the boom switch but that sure sounds like quite the fluke accident to me.
    CZ P-06
    Glock 23 OD with CT laser
    S&W 642

Mengel,

Sorry for your scare but the fact that no one was hurt at least shows it was pointed in safe direction. Cograts on that.

I had pulled it back maybe a quarter to half and inch. I don't know. Never had any problems before.
    "It is better to judged by 12, Than to be carried by 6"

"You ask me why I carry so much gear??? I ask you why you are not prepared?"

Thats odd for sure. Every Kahr I've come in contact with has been flawless. I might not have sold it. Taken it to a gunsmith as soon as possible.
    God Bless America!!

I am not doubting what had happened to you, but I am concerned (as I am a PM9 owner and many others own their pistols) about a few things:

1) If it just went off from pulling the slide partially back, without the trigger being pulled, it is a faulty gun and should be sent off as such to Kahr or a pistol smith, AND certainly not sold in that condition, at least not without full disclosure

2) If that happened to me, I would definately want to know the "how" and "why" it happened, because frankly, the Kahr is a striker fired gun similar to many others (Glock, which I have a few of) and if it is a mechanical failure, I would need to understand it better for myself.

Good luck and glad there was no injury associated with this...phew!
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    the slide was pulled back 1/4 to 1/2 inch and the gun discharged?...thats beyond odd..and it would also indicate the round was partially removed from the chamber at that point by the extractor...i would have expected a great deal of pressure cming out of the ejection slot and possible injury to yourself...sounds vry lucky and congratulations for having it pointed in a safe direction with nobody on the other side of the wall...

i think i would have seen a gunsmith about that one also...

That is totally bizarre - most autoloaders won't fire when they're even a little out of battery.

I say you shouldn't have sold it though. A threat of a lawsuit may force kahr to up their game and design a fix to whatever happened.

Quote Originally Posted by mengel4228 View Post
    In no way am I bashing Kahr or anyone who owns one. But today I got off work and decided to clean my Kahr CW9(as I do once or twice a week). As I drew it out of my holster and ejected the mag, I started to pull the slide back and suddenly the gun went off. In no way was my finger by the trigger. I was shocked because I have had 0 problems with it not even a jam. So I had to replace some drywall and thankfully the police were not called. I sold my gun about 3 hours after this happened because honestly I am not comfortable with carrying a weapon that has accidently fired. Not safe to me or anyone around me. On a brighter note I did buy a Ruger LCP. Anyway thats my terrible story of the day. I just Thank God that no one was hurt and that it happened at home and not out in public.

Glad that no one was hurt. You said that you "started" to pull the slide back. Did you try to rack it in one smooth rearward motion or were you riding it back in an attempt to "catch" the round in your hand as it comes out of the ejection port? The latter can be dangerous if the slide starts to go back forward an the primer is struck (not necessarily by the firing pin).
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    -Glad you weren't hurt
    -Not good to sell a gun like that
    -And thinking about how this could happen?

Can't see how it's even possible. I believe this would be the only case of a discharge occuring during a racking of a slide when the finger wasn't on the trigger.

I'll keep my Kahr's and there's no way this would happen to me without me trying real hard to figure out why.

more...

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    -Glad you weren't hurt
    -Not good to sell a gun like that
    -And thinking about how this could happen?

Can't see how it's even possible. I believe this would be the only case of a discharge occuring during a racking of a slide when the finger wasn't on the trigger.

I'll keep my Kahr's and there's no way this would happen to me without me trying real hard to figure out why.

more...
    +1 on all counts

I just looked at the kahr site to see how their triggers work and it doesn't even seem that such an AD would be possible. When you work the slide, it's de-cocking the striker in the process.

It seems that for this to happen the sear would have to have let go or broken when racking but, if the slide was 1/4" back already would the striker have enough force to set off the primer? I imagine that the full travel on the striker isn't much more than a 1/4" not to mention the drop safety plunger (kahrs do have those right?) would still be engaged.

Would be very nice to get to the bottom of how this could happen.

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    It is always strange when something like this happens. Glad no one was injured. I don't know much about Kahr pistols, but I did have an event happen this past spring. Took my Glock 19 out of the safe....it was loaded with one in the chamber....set it down on my workbench, and as I turned around to get back into the safe....sure enough, I brushed up against the gun.....it fell on the floor and discharged! We never did figure out how that could happen....so I certainly understand weird things happening. Good luck and shoot safe.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

I'm gonna say selling the possibly defective gun was a huge mistake and you had better hope no one injures themselves or worse yet a loved one with it. The legal liability issue is huge. I'd try to buy it back at any cost and send it back for a factory repair. It's the responsible thing to do.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links