Glock 30/36 hybrid - Page 2

Glock 30/36 hybrid

This is a discussion on Glock 30/36 hybrid within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by water Thanks jwhite75, but he didn't do it with that specific glock, if anyone can shed some more light on this combo(glock ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock 30/36 hybrid

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by water View Post
    Thanks jwhite75, but he didn't do it with that specific glock, if anyone can shed some more light on this combo(glock 36 slide on glock 30sf frame) it would be appreciated... Just want to know if it cycles smoothly and no other issues past 1,000 rounds...another member that shot up to 500 rounds on one did not get back to me on how it works....
    I haven't tried it with any Glock. IMO, Glocks are basically perfect as is in their simple design. Leave Gaston's 'Perfection' the way he meant it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by nolt View Post
    the G30 frame/magazine has a larger capacity.

the G36 slide is thinner than the G30 slide. it obviously doesnt magically slim he G30 frame, but the hybrid unit fits inside a belt quite a bit better than the G30 with its own fat slide.

thats pretty much it. thats why people do it.

(FWIW i think the G36 is a fine EDC as well)
    You would still have the double stack grip of the G30 to deal with so I don't see that the marginal difference would be that, if any, beneficial. Just fire an extra mag in your weak side pocket and stick with the stock 36 if you want an ultra concealable, reliable .45.

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Earlier today, I decided on a new 36 but this combo idea sounds wrong to me. With all the mods for the Glock, there has to be a better way.
    There is a better way. It's the "1911".

The 36 is a very good gun though.

Yes, I agree on a Glock being a great gun as-is, but there is always better...to me this combo is the best from Glock. Best .45 concealed carry gun...Pros: thinner slide for better concealment, 10+1 rounds, and a rail for weapon light. I do like options....and this gun gives you that....Please reply with the cons...willing to listen!

Quote Originally Posted by water View Post
    Yes, I agree on a Glock being a great gun as-is, but there is always better...to me this combo is the best from Glock. Best .45 concealed carry gun...Pros: thinner slide for better concealment, 10+1 rounds, and a rail for weapon light. I do like options....and this gun gives you that....Please reply with the cons...willing to listen!
    Well, it's really not slimmer, though; the G30 frame, at it's widest, is still wider than the G30 slide...so, really, you're not slimming the G30 down at all. It might arguably be a little lighter...but I do wonder if thte lighter slide would still be as reliable, all things considered.

I'll be keeping my G30 slide on my G30, and my G36 slide on my G36. I can see absolutely no benefit to this hybrid at all.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

these threads pop up from time to time on various forums and there are typically three types of replies:

1. people that have done it and like it. (usually this person is pretty moderate about their praise.... they typically agree that its the 'best of both worlds' and that glock should sell one like this but that it isnt worth buying two pistols just to get this.

2. people that are interested and want to know more.

3. people that despite having no experience with it are quick to dismiss the idea because 'they dont see the point.'

there usually seem to be most of type #3.

these threads pop up from time to time on various forums and there are typically three types of replies:

1. people that have done it and like it. (usually this person is pretty moderate about their praise.... they typically agree that its the 'best of both worlds' and that glock should sell one like this but that it isnt worth buying two pistols just to get this.

3. people that despite having no experience with it are quick to dismiss the idea because 'they dont see the point.'

Yep, in this case, I'm #3.

Add a 4th category--those who have a G30 and a G36, try it, and think it's pointless.

That'd be me.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

yeah ok you got me haha chalk that one in

Somebody on here did it, i distinctly remember it....just dont remember who. argh.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Here is the elusive thread...it was Danimal.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...36-hybrid.html
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I don't really see the point either. I just happen to have both guns and thought it would be fun to give it a shot.

The only reason I did the switcheroo at the time was to see if the 36 on the 30 frame would fit the drawer full of 19/23 holsters that I have. I wouldn't go running out and buy both guns just to accomplish this.

I deleted the pics as I closed my old Photobucket account, and have not gotten around to re-taking them.

Danimal, when you get some free time, please post some pics...since there doesn't seem to be any more pics of this "hybrid" on the internet anymore!!!

Will do. I think I can get them re-taken and posted this weekend.

Jim in Palm Beach

I learned of the 30/36 a while back, even speaking to Glock Reps. at the SHOW Show in '10 and they looked at me like I had been smoking crack. At the 2011 SHOT , a Glock Rep. at the armorer's course said that Glock may likely come out with a dual-stack high-capacity compact .45, he even referenced the 30/36.

For those whom don't understand it, the Glock 36 is not comfortable in the hand for some shooters and I'd rather carry a PM45 if I will only carry a 6-round magazine in my gun. The Glock 30 or 30SF is very clunky on top and isn't as compact and concealable as many think, especially in hot, humid S. FL. I carried a 23 on-duty from '96 to 10', and the size was great. I could ankle it all day without issues. The 30/36 fits in most of my 23 leather holsters, including my Ankle Glove, and it packs a fist full of .45 in a familiar platform. It feels like the 23 when shooting it. I carry an extra 21 magazine on my support side ankle. That's 24 rounds of .45. Overkill? Maybe to 1911 gunners, but you can never have too many rounds in a really bad situation. Also, many of us are prohibited from carrying single-actions, even off-duty, plus .380 and below are not permitted and I wouldn't carry the badguy irritator rounds anyway.

Now, the 36 frame with the 30 slide on it? Now that's a functional gun too, but it is the ugliest Glock ever... Mine is O.D. green, has a threaded barrel, and Adj. Meprolights to clear my MMC M2. I call it Franken-36 and it stays at home.

Mine has several hundred rounds through it with no malfunctions or issues. I am a Sig Classic fan, but the Glock is like a Korean car; Low-cost, and not too thrilling, but runs all the time.

I am guessing that if Glock sold the 30/36 as a new model, many nay-sayers would swear it's their ultimate carry gun. Glockmeister is now selling Glock 30 frames for less than $300, so you don't have to buy a 30 and 36.

Thanks to Don for showing me his.

To each his or her own... Mine is a hybrid that makes me happy. Respectfully IMHO.
    Palm Beach Sniper
    "Aim small, miss small - But only if you have the time."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links