SIG P220 or Kimber Pro CDP II

This is a discussion on SIG P220 or Kimber Pro CDP II within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wondering if I can get some impressions on these two guns. I would like to use either one for my CC. I dont really care ...

Thread: SIG P220 or Kimber Pro CDP II

Wondering if I can get some impressions on these two guns. I would like to use either one for my CC. I dont really care for compact guns, as I have very large hands. Which would you prefer? Is there anything that stands out as a pro or con to either?

Thanks for your help.

I guess the big question is, what experience do you have with a traditional DA semi auto weapon compared to the 1911 platform?

The 1911 platform is not for everyone and I personally believe that you should be very familiar with the SA nuiances of the 1911 before carrying it. Many of my friends can't believe I carry a gun "cocked & locked", when I have one of my Colts. It freaks them out!!

If you do not have a lot of range time logged in with the 1911 platform, I would highly recommend the DA semi auto. There's a reason you see very few LEO's, (even going back 15-20yrs ago), carrying the 1911 as there side arm.

Just my 2 cents.
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

Both are good quality guns. Concealability goes to the much thinner Kimber. I own both, and have been using my equinox 220 as a nightstand gun equiped with a combo light/laser. I love the Sig's trigger. As a range gun it is my favorite. The Kimber used to be my daily carry and never was a burden to carry. The CDP was meant to be concealed and it does so well. If not for finding a HK p7, I would still be carrying my Kimber.

Depends on what you already have. If you don't have a "bullet proof" gun (Sig, Glock, etc) then get the Sig and get a "nice" gun later.

The P220 is an excellent pistol. That being said, that's all I have to say. Shoot a P220 first, and your decision will be easier.

I love my SIG, but it different than your possible purchase. SIG will be easier to train on, and you have the option of having a 1911 like single action only gun or a DAO, or a SA/DA gun. If you like the beaver tail you can always get a P220 Elite. Nothing wrong with a 1911 either. Both are great guns, I prefer SIG, others prefer 1911's!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Sig

Personal preference and trigger style

I have both the Kimber Pro CDP and the Sig P220. Both are excellent guns. The Kimber is smaller and easier to conceal, especially with thin grip panels and a single side thumb safety, which is what I have on mine shown below.

The other big consideration is trigger style - single action cocked and locked on the Kimber vs. double action/single action on the Sig. Both systems work, and it comes down to what you like best. You have to practice with either one, but you can do some good shooting with either one.

A variation on the Sig P220 that is more concealable is the Sig P245, which has a shorter barrel and grip. You give up a couple of rounds in the magazine, and the P245 only holds 6+1 rounds, like a Glock 36.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Given these 2 choices the P220 (with a DAK trigger) for the following reasons:

Simpler manual of arms
    Better quality (personal opinion)
    Durability
    No break-in period
    Less fussy about what ammo it will feed
    It's a Sig 'nuff said

I own several Sigs and a couple of Kimbers including a Pro-Carry. Based on what I know my personal preference would be the Sig hands down.

Good luck on your decision.

Be Safe,

NosaM
    "In a crisis, you will not rise to the occasion, but you will default to the level of your training."

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastball View Post
    I guess the big question is, what experience do you have with a traditional DA semi auto weapon compared to the 1911 platform?

The 1911 platform is not for everyone and I personally believe that you should be very familiar with the SA nuiances of the 1911 before carrying it. Many of my friends can't believe I carry a gun "cocked & locked", when I have one of my Colts. It freaks them out!!

If you do not have a lot of range time logged in with the 1911 platform, I would highly recommend the DA semi auto. There's a reason you see very few LEO's, (even going back 15-20yrs ago), carrying the 1911 as there side arm.

Just my 2 cents.
    Excelllent post. If you are not properly trained and fully committed to putting in the time, buy the ammo and practice ALOT to master a 1911 you are an accident waiting to happen as their trigger pulls are very light compared to the first DA out of the SIG. In a life or death situation motor skills go down the toilet and it's quite easy to fire an accidental shot with a 4.5 to 5.5 trigger on a SA.

I also want to say that the Sig 220 or any other Sig will operate much more reliabily than a 1911 without anything more than light maintenance. The Sigs are also very accurate pistols. 1911's can also be very finicky with HP ammo.

If you go the 1911 route stay with it. I've seen hundreds of people over my 31 years of experience carrying 1911's who at sometime forget to take the safety off and apply 30 lbs. of pressure to the trigger and say "what the heck". No worries with a DA to SA Sig pistol. Draw the weapon, align the sights and squeeze the trigger.

My 228 has NEVER malfuntioned with any ammo. I once shot 3K rounds of WWB 115 gr. ammo through mine without a single bobble and no cleaning. Cannot say the same with the 1911's I've owned and seen too many times to count malfunction.

Don't get me wrong here. A .45 1911 in the right hands is the best fighting pistol ever made IMO. You just have to put in the time and effort to master it and properly keep it maintained.

My Springer .45 is my bedside weapon and I have complete faith in it to protect myself and family. I shoot it monthly and keep it well lubed with Militec-1. Change the mag springs out yearly also and put 100 rounds down the tube afterwards.

In closing I recommend the Sig over the 1911.

My .02 cents
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Great info everyone. I agree with the training aspect of carrying a 1911 and for now I dont really have that time and money. I think I am going to purchase a P220 and a Gock 36 for various carry options. I think this combo will work well for me at this point.

Thanks

SIG 220. I've owned a Colt Combat Commander, GSP 2000 (Springfield) and Kimber Royal. Had one problem or another from all three and now own none. Still have the SIG with no issues other than some feeding issues early on with aluminum hull Blazers.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    Great info everyone. I agree with the training aspect of carrying a 1911 and for now I dont really have that time and money. I think I am going to purchase a P220 and a Gock 36 for various carry options. I think this combo will work well for me at this point.

Thanks
    Excellent choice on the Sig! The Glock is a nice BU to it.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

What a dilemma!

Like Pogo2, I also own both a 220 and a CDP Pro II. Ultimately I end up carrying the CDP more, because it's a little thinner and feels less bulky in my hand. Although my handgunning experience began with a 1911, I took pains to train with the 220 when I got it, because of its different operating system. Making the first shot count with a traditional DA auto and managing the DA-SA trigger transition and decocker took some experience and critiquing from instructors.

I'll agree with others and say it comes down to what you're comfortable with. Both are capable, high-quality guns that are accurate, have the same capacity, and weigh about the same. There is no bad choice here.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Sponsored Links