Laser Sights

This is a discussion on Laser Sights within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What is your take on laser sights on your EDC.. Stay Safe...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laser Sights

Laser Sights

What is your take on laser sights on your EDC..
    Stay Safe

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Well, they do work on my aging eyes. Shooting on the retreat is its bet value. Still, I prefer to practice without them since its easy to get hooked on the laser and get lazy on the basics. So for me, it's a mixed bag.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

VIP Member
    I think they are great for SD situations, if you can't use you sights... As long as you don't become lazy and rely on them 100%, you'll be okay...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

They have their place, but the problem with them can be that people become overly dependent on them and are no longer able to shoot well with iron sights or by point shooting.

As long as one remembers to practice other methods of hitting the target it's fine to have a laser on your EDC.

(for the record, none of my guns currently have a laser on them)
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

I have a CT laser grip on my EDC (G23) which was primarly used as the 'bedside' gun until I 'put it in the carry rotation'. I learned more about trigger control at the range with the laser than all the teaching I had prior. I like 'em and it gives me an extra 'deminsion'. Lasers do have a purpose and application, it's just very limited in my case.

TX-JB said it first. Don't rely on a laser to take place of the sights, espically in a situation where you 'might' have to employ your sidearm. Under the sudden stress of fight, you won't look for the red dot anyway and if you do it'll cost you time you might not have.

A cop buddy put a laser on his issue sidearm right after he got on the SWAT/SRT team. He loved it because all of a sudden not nearly as many thugs took off running on him when they saw that red dot on them coming from his Glock vice his big yellow Dept. issue taser. He HATES runners!

I'm not a cop though and I ain't running after anybody if I don't have to. Practice point shooting under stress and I'll wager your chances of surviving a fight increase more than just relying on the laser.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

The only people I ever hear badmouthing lasers are people who don't have them. <G>

Last Christmas my wife upgraded my longtime EDC M36 to an airweight M638. Love the gun, hated the sights. I was reasonably accurate with the 36, but the 638 hits in the next county. With a sight radius of 3 inches you can't expect much.

The Crimson Trace laser gives you a sight radius of whatever the distance is to your target and is faster to acquire than iron sights. Easier on my creaky old near vision, too.

The thing about giving away your position is hokey, too. A green laser (or a muzzle flash) will pinpoint your position, but not a red laser unless you're in smoke or fog. The CT works fine in bright sunlight out to the realistic range of a J frame of about 50 feet or so.

They've been 100% reliable for me - I've never even heard of them failing on anyone as they gradually get dimmer so you know well in advance when the battery needs to be replaced.

My only complaint about CT is that they don't make one for my 908.

Get'em, you'll like'em.

Here's some of my thoughts on lasers:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laser Grips for the Hi Power are great, IMHO.

From a rest I never shot such a tight group in my life. What I have found is, at "normal" combat distance, out to 10 Yards or so, I'm quicker with the Laser Grips between shots and in getting the first shot off. After that, as the distance inreases, I prefer the traditional sight picture.

It took me forever to get my laser grips "dialed in", but once I did, I was very pleased with the result. At longer distances I find the "quivering" too much of a distraction. As Massad Ayoob says, "Unless you're Robo-Cop" nobody can hold the gun perfectly still." At closer distances this isn't a problem, but when I try to keep five shots on a 3" x 5" Index Card at 25 Yards, it's too distracting with the laser. By the way, When I shoot at 25 Yards, that's from a free-standing position with the gun in my hands, not resting on a table.

I have yet to try the Laser Grips under all light conditions, but I already know what I prefer in dim light with my glasses off. Without my glasses I'm better with a laser than trying to see my front Sight.

Take care and stay safe and I hope that helps.

Biker
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's another post on the topic:

quote:
    This subject has been beat to death, and I've even posted on it and started my own threads even.

That was a hint to use the Search feature by the way, as you will gain some great information to go with what is and will be posted here. My opinion will agree and differ from various posters, depending upon the poster.

I myself started years ago with Iron Sights and was slow to accept night sights. Finally, kicking and screaming I was brought forth in to the twentieth century. I came to accept night sights and was happy with that replacing the Liquid Paper I used to carefully apply to my Front Sight. Then, lo and behold, I decided to try a laser.

While lasers aren't for every situation, and I knowing what a perfect sight picture looks like, I would rather have the laser than the night sights if I could only have one. Each has their place and they are both on my EDC though.

Wearing glasses and being near sighted may tend to influence my choices. Also, having been in low light confrontations, all three of them were what one would describe as "not perfect lighting", I look for any advantage I can get and like my Tool Box to be bountiful. Therefore, if you can I recommend both. If you can only have one, get the laser and spend a lot of time shooting with your Iron Sights. You should be doing that anyway, as there is no short cut for "trigger time" IMO.

The laser just "helps" it doesn't replace. The same can be said for night sights, but I see greater assistance from the laser over the night sights.

+1 to having a good flashlight. When I carry a gun, which is daily, I always have some form of communication device and illumination device that is hand held. I've learned both lessons from the "School of Hard Knocks".

Take care and stay safe.

Biker
    Also, Pax has written a beautiful response in favor of lasers. I suggest that you search her post and try to find it. She may also have something on her site regarding lasers.

Cornered Cat

I hope that helps.

Biker

Administrator
    I have said this before but, I'll say it again.

There are real and genuine advantages to a laser for some folks with certain vision problems since in order to use the laser unit correctly - you do not look at (or focus on) your firearm or your firearm sights at all.

You only look at and focus on your intended target.

If you are wearing "corrective lenses" for nearsightedness - you'll probably not be able to focus on your front gun sight while still keeping your eyeglasses on.

So since your "far" vision is already corrected by your eyeglasses...that is the only place that you'll need to look while using a laser - because basically all a laser does is move your front sight out (in the form of a red dot) directly onto the intended target.

I could "go on" but, you get the idea I'm sure.

EW3
    I tried them on two guns and hated them:

1. They give you tunnel vision; you start only concentrating on that little red dot and nothing else around or in front of you
    2. Electronics/battery powered; can fail at the worst time
    3. It's hard to switch back and forth from laser to fixed sights
    4. Can possibly give away your location to the BG

As you can see, I'm a big fan of traditional sights and am even moving away from that to more of a defensive no sights, instinctive point-shooting method. IMO, they are expensive toys.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Well, I've been carrying every day for almost 35 years and training in point shooting for about 40 and I got my first laser about a month ago...and love it.

I get a little irritated with people who say "they cause you to do...". They don't cause you to do anything...you can choose to misuse them and choose to ignore your training in other areas if you wish...or, as someone else said, you can just have another tool in the toolbox.

I wouldn't recommend someone who is new to carry training with them exclusively, or even primarily, but there are times when they certainly can be an advantage (especially when firing from cover).

They are also very good (again, as someone else has mentioned) for those of us who have reached an age where our eyesight is not exactly what it once was...especially those of us who wear bifocals or trifocals.

Used correctly, I can also see them being an invaluable tool in point-shoot training.

Like just about everything else, the trick is how they are used.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
    The only people I ever hear badmouthing lasers are people who don't have them. <G>
    Well, that only would make sense, wouldn't it? I don't go and buy cracker jacks because I don't like them either.

Anyway, I'll just say there is no substitute for proper training in pistol combat.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post
    I get a little irritated with people who say "they cause you to do...". They don't cause you to do anything...you can choose to misuse them and choose to ignore your training in other areas if you wish...or, as someone else said, you can just have another tool in the toolbox.
    Well said and I agree totally. Its another tool that may help save your life. I have been shooting handguns for 35+ years and I can shoot as well or better than most, and have shot competitively for many years. As far as I am concerned anyone who says a laser sight is worthless or anti-productive has no idea what they are talking about and is giving worthless ill-advised advice. If you are knocked off your feet, have to shoot from a prone postion, unusal stance or position, or maybe injured they may be the only way to get the gun on target. Again another tool, not a subsitute for good shooting fundimentals.
    Last edited by pirate; December 19th, 2009 at 03:15 PM.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    Well said and I agree totally. Its another tool that may help save your life. I have been shooting handguns for 35+ years and I can shot as well or better than most, and have shoot competitively for many years. As far as I am concerned anyone who says a laser sight is worthless or anti-productive has no idea what they are talking about and is giving worthless advice.
    I agree with you Pirate, I have one and what a difference it makes for aged eyes. I have shot handguns for only 30+ years , and on handguns with lousy miniature sights like my Ruger LCP, the CTC laser really helps me a bunch. I still use the sights on my Glocks and other handguns, and I am no longer considering lasers for them as I can still hit the proverbial broad side of the barn with them.
    God bless our troops!

You may wish to review this poll. ~95% of folks who have actually used Crimson Trace lasers seem to like them.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ce-lasers.html
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Well, that only would make sense, wouldn't it? I don't go and buy cracker jacks because I don't like them either.
    The difference is that I'm assuming you've actually tasted Cracker Jacks before forming your opinion!

Most folks who say negative things about lasers are of the "I've never used one but here's why I don't like them..." variety.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links