The smallest 357sig

This is a discussion on The smallest 357sig within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What gun is one of the smallest that chamber 357sig. My current carry is a Kimber UC II, or a snub 357, sometimes I carry ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The smallest 357sig

The smallest 357sig

What gun is one of the smallest that chamber 357sig.

My current carry is a Kimber UC II, or a snub 357, sometimes I carry my Kahr PM 45.

The only one I can find that is small as my other carries is the Sig 229? in 357sig? Is there any others? Does GLOCK make a compact 357sig? Like a G26 in the 357sig?

I really am getting more into this round....finding more it's what I'm intrested in for Personal D.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    S&W makes an M&P .357sig compact i don't know how it compares to the Kimber...
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Administrator
    The M&Pc is very comparable in size to the Glock 26/27 or the G33. The G33 the subcompact .357 Sig. It is the same dimensions as the 26 or 27.
    There is also the Sig 239, which is a little bigger, but better suited for the rocket of a cartridge.
    "Just blame Sixto"

ahh G33 that's what it is.....going to check out the Sig. M&P, I will check that out also.

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    yep... the Sig P239 with the .40S&W frame can also take the .357 Sig barrel. I've been procrastinating on buying the .357 barrel from Sig for my 40 cal 239 as I really see no real "need", other than just another caliber option. But, I also considered the third party after market 9mm barrel for the P239 40 cal model as well (Sig doesn't offer the 9mm barrel for this particular model). As to the "smallest" offering in .357 Sig, I really don't consider the P239 to be in the overall category of "Smallest".... compact, maybe, but definately not a sub-compact.

And, just for the record, I don't think the P239 in 9mm version can be retrofitted with the .40 or .357 barrels.

surv

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    yep... the Sig P239 with the .40S&W frame can also take the .357 Sig barrel.

surv

That's good to know. worth a thought.

Though if I do choose to go to the SIG, or Glock...I will have to sell the Kimber.

They are both fine guns the SIG 239 and G33. Youwont be unhappy with either. I dont have very much contact with the M&P. Cant really comment there.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Frogbones

You might also check out the Sig P250 in the sub-compact grip...it might just fit your needs.

surv

The Air Marshal's carry the SIG 229 in .357 SIG. If they want a smaller gun, they are also allowed to carry the SIG 239. They have been measured for personal grip size for new 250's (also in .357 SIG) but, as far as I know, they aren't being fielded yet.

IMO, .357 SIG is a heck of a round but its advantages decrease as the barrel length goes down. My favorite is the Glock 35 with an aftermarket barrel. That gives you a 5.1" barrel and the cartridge can really stretch its legs. A short barrel is going to give you a lot more blast and flash but with a lower velocity. At some point, you would be better off with a 9mm +P or +P+.

Gregg

Probably the smallest would be a Kel-tec P40 with a .357sig barrel. Might be tough to find one but still possible with some searching.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    I'm very happy with my G33 but have a bead on a 239 if I stumble on to a deal on one. The Glock isn't going anywhere though. Lots of reliable firepower in a small package. I keep mine loaded up with DoubleTap 125g Speer GDHP.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    And, just for the record, I don't think the P239 in 9mm version can be retrofitted with the .40 or .357 barrels.

surv
    Correct AFAIK as well.

Don't forget

There's also the Steyr S (if you can find one) and the HK P2000sk.
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Besides the Glock 33, you can shoot .357sig through an XD subcompact. If they don't sell it that way, just get the .40 caliber and swap out the barrel and you have two guns in one.

I love my P239 in .357sig. Mine was never a .40, however, it came in .357. I have to say it shoots like a dream, especially considering it's 3.6'' barrel. The only downside is that the mags hold 7 rounds since it's a single stack. Any XD won't have that problem.

Interesting, Springfield just came out with a new XDm with a 3.8'' barrel. So far it's only being offered in 9mm (19+1 capacity), but I'm sure .40S&W will follow soon. When that happens, you can convert it to .357 and carry 16+1 rounds of .357 in a gun with a 3.8'' barrel! It will have a full sized grip of course, but I've never had an issue hiding or carrying a full sized grip. YMMV
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

A few AMT DAO Backups were made in 357Sig. It's probably the smallest made but tough to find.
    Never forget. Never forgive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links