Defensive Carry banner

The "Official" 1911 Thread

461K views 3K replies 479 participants last post by  sprmx199 
#1 ·
i was perusing the forums a few minutes ago, and i noticed there were threads dedicated to knives, Glocks, and snubbies. but, no 1911s.

:blink:

are you guys kidding me?

let's see those 1911s, people!

My Taurus PT1911:

Llama IX (Commander size), that was stolen out of my van:mad::

See less See more
#2,411 ·
For the weird and wacky, how about a Colt Series 70 Government Model in 9mm Steyr?

Some offbeat caliber Colt 1911-guns were picked up earlier this year just prior to the onset of dumb COVID-19. Though internet research reveals some murkiness about the history of the 9mm Steyr Government Models, best take that I can glean of available information is that Colt made a thousand 9mm Steyr chambered Government Models for Italian consumption sometime in the late 1970s and possibly sold a few in Austria as well, along with enough spare parts for servicing those thousand to later make up 100 additional pistols which were later sold off in the 1980s.

This is one of those 100 spares. Factory letter shows it to have been sold new to a distributor in Massachusetts in 1983. In addition to the 100 sold stateside a very few of the pistols destined for Europe have been reimported, showing European proof marks in every instance they are found photographed on the internet.

This pistol came with its box and all associated, was was suppose to be NIB and it probably was new unfired, but has handling marks as if it'd been assembled out of a parts bin, or was a Colt display model, or else on a gun show exhibitor's table for some time. Has the merest beginnings of an idiot scratch. Also, if ever a poor Colt Government Model was a factory second this one's it for it exhibits the worst finish and workmanship I've ever seen in a commercial Colt. Left side slide marking was ham-handedly applied. Trigger's hard. Slide fit is underwhelming, even to someone like me who is less than critically discerning about such things.

New-in-the-box or not, I immediately took it out and shot it with a couple different 115 grain factory loads, Fiocci as well as some custom manufactured 9mm Steyr ammunition. Then Mrs. BMc and I spent the rest of the late afternoon trying to round up brass for it's a bit haphazard in its ejection. We finally gathered up every one before dark. It fed and functioned fine and shot tight groups though quite low.

It's all properly marked and features the proper "70S" serial number prefix unique to the 9mm Steyr series. Last photograph also shows some wear and scuffs.

Thought it's mostly an ornament for the safe I have intentions to shoot it a bit, test it over the chronograph, acquire some additional factory loads old and new for testing, and develop a handload or two for it, mostly just to say I have had the experience of loading the 9mm Steyr. The pistol won't be taken seriously as a "serious" carry piece. But, it could I guess.

#2,415 ·
OK Dan. A real "duh"moment is being exhibited here.

I got the gun, field stripped it to examine it, cleaned and lubricated it, and took it to the range for the inaugural shooting of it, again field stripped it and cleaned it before putting it in the safe.

Until today, some four months later, it never dawned on me that the pistol wasn't outfitted with the characteristic Series 70 collet bushing and accurizer barrel!

I suppose I just absentmindedly saw standard parts and they looked normal to me.

Dan knows stuff y'all.

#2,417 ·
SO, @bmcgilvray OR @OD* Looking at this, "what's the point"? Seems like .38 Super would "fill the bill" & "nice & easy to find"?? Muzzle velocity of 1169 claimed (5" barrel, right?). Austrian's "trying to be Mexico"? 😂 I do see it was developed in 1912, BUT, AFTER super was around in the 30's, they're still mess'n with it! ????

Reactions: msgt/ret and OD*
#2,419 ·
Yup. Italy, at least at the time of this 1100 pistol contract were prohibited from owning firearms chambered for 9mm Luger. Austrians can own 9mm Luger, but 9mm Steyr was their cartridge and they still fool with it all these many years later. Ballistically 9mm Steyr is fine, perhaps in some loadings a bit stouter than standard velocity 9mm Luger. Far as I know there are no "high-tech" hollow point factory loads produced for it, however I can reload and can make whatever my little heart desires.

I have a Austrian friend. These are his and he plays with 'em all the time. M1912 Steyr-Hahn (top) is chambered for ... wait for it ... 9mm Steyr. The M1907 Roth Steyr (bottom) is in 8mm Roth-Steyr, a sort of .32 ACP on steroids.

#2,421 ·
Hope this is the right place to ask. I'm in the market for a Springfield 1911 Ronin Operator in .45 (waiting for one to come available in central Alabama) and here is the questiont:

This comes with one magazine - well I need more so do all 1911 magazines in .45 fit all 1911's? For example, Glock and Sig and Kimbers all take brand-specific magazines (Sig won' fit Glock).

#2,422 ·
A 1911 Government Model size pistol and Commander sized pistol will accept any magazine made for a full size Government pistol, the Officers model will only take a magazine made for the Officers sized pistols (with the magazine flush). The Ronin 5″ model and the 4.25″ model, will take the same magazines.

Kimber 1911's are not "brand" specific, they are however, size specific.

#2,423 ·
A 1911 Government Model size pistol and Commander sized pistol will accept any magazine made for a full size Government pistol, the Officers model will only take a magazine made for the Officers sized pistols. The Ronin 5″ model and the 4.25″ model, will take the same magazines.
1911's are not "brand" specific, they are however, size specific.
Dude now I have another -
The way I read this, Govt & commander uses Govt magaqines
Officer models = officers pistols
Ronin 5" & 4.25 take same magazines as what each other? Officer? Govt?
When I get my 1911 .45 5" what magazines -- Govt, Officer, specific Springfield.

Don't mean to sound like I'm a taco shy of a combo platter, but I'm new to the 1911 world and really want to be.

#2,425 ·
So when a Springfield 1911 .45 Ronin Operator 5" becomes a member of my family, any Government Model magazine would work. Are there any "better" than others? Purchase one on sale?

#2,427 ·
Thank you for your expertise -- appreciate it more than you know.

#2,432 ·
Here’s my great 1911 accomplishment from history. Back in the 90’s when most 1911 offerings were more GI like I had an early Kimber Custom 1 when they were built in NY. That was a seriously nice gun for the money.

before I moved back to plastics I carried much finer tuned 1911’s but that Custom 1 was slick carry gun in my mid 20’s.

Reactions: OD* and msgt/ret