Colt Defender vs Colt New Agent

This is a discussion on Colt Defender vs Colt New Agent within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i bought the defender the 1st week they became available. they were marketed as 1.5" accurate at 25 yards. it was not a lie. the ...

View Poll Results: Which one would you prefer and why - Colt Defender vs New Agent

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Defender (Regular Sights)

73 74.49%
  • New Agent (Trench Sight)

25 25.51%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Colt Defender vs Colt New Agent

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    i bought the defender the 1st week they became available. they were marketed as
    1.5" accurate at 25 yards. it was not a lie.

the agent may well be as accurate but the trench sight rather handicaps it in that regard--for most.

the agent also is available as a DA. something to think about.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

2. Remove Ads

Colt has produced some New Agents with XS sights. I bought one, and love it.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I am too used to conventional sites to try this gutter/trench site. I would go with the more traditional Defender for this reason alone.

New Agent for the reasons others have clearly stated. Simply my choice like we all make choices. Everyone is right and everyone is wrong!
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by jwalker497 View Post
    I am interested in these 2 models but the Website does not list the specs and I read somewhere that one was lighter than the other. Can someone please list the comparison specs, length, height, weight, capacity, width, etc.
    I believe they are listed; Colt New Agent® Colt Defender

Geez, three year old thread, I missed that.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Firing the New Agent takes practice - it's lightweight, and as noted earlier it has a stout recoil. Once you've become familiar with how it shoots, it doesn't take long to practice with the trench sight. I'm confident in my ability to use the New Agent, a pistol that Colt made to be an excellent 1911 CCW.

The Defender is also an excellent 1911, more comfortable and familiar to aim with the traditional sights. It is slightly larger due to the grips, beavertail, and sights. For me, it was a question of which one would be a better CCW, so I went with the New Agent.

Both are such great Colts, however, I can't imagine being unhappy with either.
    Nothing unreal exists

Just took the Colt New Agent 9mm out to the range this past weekend. I put 100 rounds of hollow points through it with NO problems. Ammo used was Winchester Supreme Elite 124+p, Speer Gold Dot 115 and 124+p, Federal Hydra Shok 124 and 135 Low Recoil, Hornady Z-Max 115, and Corbon/Glaser Power Ball 100+p. Not a single FTF or FTE. Considering I went from a Kel Tec PF9 to the Colt, which is almost twice the weight of the PF9, it felt great. Recoil was very manageable. The accuracy with the trench sight was dead on at 15-20 yards. I didn't try any farther than that.
    I don't want to trash the PF9. It does what it's advertised to do very well. That being that it is HIGHLY concealable. It also feeds anything I've ever put through it. It's just not fun to shoot! Recoil is very hard on the hands. The Colt, while being almost twice the weight and just a bit bigger, was a joy to shoot and is just as concealable as the smaller PF9. The New Agent has it all. I love it.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Just sold my Colt New Agent 9mm ...........and bought a Colt New Agent .45!
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Range report: Took the Colt New Agent .45 out to the range yesterday. Not a single problem! Ammo used was Winchester 230 FMJ, Hornady 185 FTX, Hornady 200+p JHP, Hornady 230+p TAP, and Federal 230 HST. My time was limited so I didn't get to fire any of the Corbon, Speer, or my other Federal loads. Accuracy was just as good as the 9mm version. Recoil was very manageable (I used to shoot a Kel Tec PF9....anything feels better than that!). Total round count was 50. Not a big sampling, but completely acceptable for a first go-around.

My original post here was December 2009. Now it's April 2012 and I find the only gun i consistently carry out of the house is the New Agent. It never jams, it's easy to hide, I still like it.
    Cherokee Slim
    NRA, SASS #72605, ROII, WBRO, Ocoee Rangers, Tennessee Mountain Maurauders. Semper Fi

I remember this thread. Still as timely a debate as was in the first place.

I still carry my Defender. It is still my EDC. alternating with my Seecamp when carry conditions dictate a mouse gun instead. Still like it. Even bought one for my Son for his off duty carry and its his first choice. We both still like the Defender. Not that we use the sights all that much but one point could be that they are easy to change out to a Tritium Night sight if you needed to do something like that.

For a short range "belly gun", either will get the job done if you're proficient with the gun. They're good choices for sudden encounters from point-blank range to perhaps 20'.

Remember that .45acp is just not allowed it's best terminal performance when fired from the short 3" barrel. Velocities with most .45acp ammo, which was designed for the 4.25-5" barrel, really suck with a 3" barrel, so you're giving up a lot of defense capability simply due to the 3" barrel. Not to mention increased reliability problems that are more commonly found with subcompact 1911's than with larger models.

The Defender's sights make this model more versatile than the Agent, for longer shots. But honestly, neither gun is very well suited for much other than close-range defense use, where sights are not likely to be employed much, if at all in a defensive shooting.

These are guns for close-in, unexpected defense situations. For much else, you'll definitely want a longer barrel and probably a better set of sights than these little dwarfs offer.
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

OD*
    You have to remember, some of the ballistic loss has has do with the load being used also. Take the Cor®Bon 230gr .45 ACP +P load as an example, 122 fps isn't giving up a lot of defense capability, at least in my opinion.

IsaiahM33 likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    You have to remember, some of the ballistic loss has has do with the load being used also. Take the Cor®Bon 230gr .45 ACP +P load as an example, 122 fps isn't giving up a lot of defense capability, at least in my opinion.

Hey OD... Nice to see you again.

I agree, some loads will still perform reasonably well with the 3" barrel at close range. But we also have to remember that each bullet design is created to provide optimal penetration and expansion within a particular velocity window and most .45acp loads suffer in performance with the reduced velocities of the 3" barrel. Add in longer distances to your opponent and this particular caliber/barrel length choice doesn't look so great. There are some .45acp loads which would definitely be better choices with the 3"er, and they will be the hotter, more exotic, most expensive loads. Additionally, ongoing practice and function testing with such loads is really expensive. And then, the increased recoil of these hotter loads, combined with the smaller light weight platform, start to work against the shooter. These are the reasons I moved away from the 3" .45acp guns for my personal defense.

I really do like the Defender and New Agent a lot.... I'm a Colt 1911 guy from the get go. But my personal view is that there are better, more suitable calibers when choosing a gun with a 3" barrel. Both 9mm and .40 are better performing calibers when shot from very short barrels.

In .45acp, the Commander 4.25" or Compact 4" would be much preferrable to me. Thats why I sold my Defender. I miss it, though! That said, I'd not want to face a 3" .45acp in a gunfight no matter what load the opponent was carrying! ;-)
    Last edited by DHart; April 10th, 2012 at 04:52 PM.
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

I bought my Defender before the New Agent came out, but would still buy the same gun today! I like the stainless slide and the sights are like the GI type(small), and don't get in the way. The perfect carry gun IMO!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links