Colt Defender vs Colt New Agent

This is a discussion on Colt Defender vs Colt New Agent within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Gideon had the Colt New Agent and loved it. I found it "ok" to use the trench site and in some ways ...

View Poll Results: Which one would you prefer and why - Colt Defender vs New Agent

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Defender (Regular Sights)

73 74.49%
  • New Agent (Trench Sight)

25 25.51%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Colt Defender vs Colt New Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    had the Colt New Agent and loved it. I found it "ok" to use the trench site and in some ways it was easier to line it up faster than conventional. In the end I sold the gun becasue I wasn't effective at shooting a 3" lightweight .45. I can almost cry I miss it so bad but the recoil is stout. I also struggled with the SA trigger. Mine was beautiful, however, all of my CCW guns are DAO. I found myself shooting unintentional double taps periodically.

I Think the Colt New Agent is better looking than the Defender but I'd say most people are too engrained with conventional sites to make the transition to a trench. I do think the trench site is the better "pure" defensive set up because we're really talking point and shoot, however, I think most of us don't think in purely defensive mode when picking hand guns or they'd likely all we DAO with no external safetys.

I'm also of the opinion that a Colt DEFENDER that's been refinished looks FANTASTIC.

So it's so close for me I didn't vote.
    I didn't buy a Colt but I did purchase the Kimber Ultra RCP II. Same size with the "trench" sights and now it is my EDC. So If I had purchased the Colt it would have been the Agent

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Defender
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I picked up a New Agent a little less than a year ago; I've become quite fond of it, and have found that it's a nice choice when I choose not to carry my full-sized 1911.

The sights did take some getting used to; for quite some time, I always shot low--until I found out how it worked. Now, I can easily keep a mag in the chest of a silhouette at 25 yards.

Point shooting has never been an issue with it. Works wonderfully in that capacity.

The only function issue that I've had in around 700 or so rounds I've put through it is that it hates the DPX-type copper bullets. Got through half a magazine with only one succesful feed, and I decided those weren't going to be my choice.

I have it loaded with 230gr HST's; in some informal backyard testing, I found it got a solid 12.5" of penetration in wetpack with expansion to about .60; not the quarter-sized expansion that one usually sees from HST, but not too shabby from a 3" barrel.

I've decied that it's a keeper.
    Beans likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links