Colt Defender vs Colt New Agent

This is a discussion on Colt Defender vs Colt New Agent within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am interested in these 2 models but the Website does not list the specs and I read somewhere that one was lighter than the ...

View Poll Results: Which one would you prefer and why - Colt Defender vs New Agent

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Defender (Regular Sights)

73 74.49%
  • New Agent (Trench Sight)

25 25.51%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Colt Defender vs Colt New Agent

Colt Defender vs Colt New Agent

I am interested in these 2 models but the Website does not list the specs and I read somewhere that one was lighter than the other. Can someone please list the comparison specs, length, height, weight, capacity, width, etc.

Also I understand the main difference between the two is the Sight system. Can someone shed light on which might be preferred? This will be carried IWB every day.

Lastly, I posted a poll to try to assess which one is more popular, please vote for which you prefer and please elaborate on why.

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I like the stainless slide and the sights better on the defender.

Me too and so I bought the Defender. I got to compare them side by side. I do not like the wrap around rubber grips on the Defender but thats something most like to customize anyway and was quickly dealt with. Was not fond of the New Agent grips either.

I bought the Defender for several reasons, the adjustable sights ( which I in fact had to adjust to my carry ammo), and the wrap around grips which I would have had to purchase and add to the Agent, and the finish which I like better.

After shooting the gun every chance I get and carrying it almost daily, I can say it is my favorite and that I really like this gun. It shoots as accurately as my Gold Cup and Springfield. The recoil is only slightly heavier.
    Glock, Colt, S&W,Beretta,ParaOrdnance
    Springfields, Browning, Keltec... to name a few.

TSRA, NRA, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA
    NRA Certified RSO and Instructor
    Certified CHL Instructor in Texas and Lousisiana

Traditional sights for me as I use the gun for range as well as carry.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    had the Colt New Agent and loved it. I found it "ok" to use the trench site and in some ways it was easier to line it up faster than conventional. In the end I sold the gun becasue I wasn't effective at shooting a 3" lightweight .45. I can almost cry I miss it so bad but the recoil is stout. I also struggled with the SA trigger. Mine was beautiful, however, all of my CCW guns are DAO. I found myself shooting unintentional double taps periodically.

I Think the Colt New Agent is better looking than the Defender but I'd say most people are too engrained with conventional sites to make the transition to a trench. I do think the trench site is the better "pure" defensive set up because we're really talking point and shoot, however, I think most of us don't think in purely defensive mode when picking hand guns or they'd likely all we DAO with no external safetys.

I'm also of the opinion that a Colt DEFENDER that's been refinished looks FANTASTIC.

So it's so close for me I didn't vote.
    Beans likes this.

Colt Officer grips fit the Defender so don't let the rubber Hogues stop you.A nice set of traditional checkered cocobolos with a gold rampant colt medallion is about as nice a look as anything else out there. The Hogues are the best feeling grips while shooting.

There was a long thread on the 1911 Forum that I followed for a long time before buying 2 New Agents. The plan was to rotate them (in 2 countries) with a G23, PM40 and others. Now I CCW the NA exclusively with an LCP BUG. It's not a target weapon. Think of it like a J Frame, more of a point & shoot weapon. I'll probably start to rotate pistols again sometime in the future, but I'm very happy with the weight & hideability of the NA. 500 mixed rounds out of the box through each of them and I haven't had the first malfunction. I use a Don Hume IWB or a CrossBreed holster. I tried a Desantis NYPD paddle holster but it angled out too much.
    Cherokee Slim
    NRA, SASS #72605, ROII, WBRO, Ocoee Rangers, Tennessee Mountain Maurauders. Semper Fi

With traditional sights, these pistols are quite accurate out past 50yds. Why limit yourself with the trench sights?

I have handled both. If you have truly mastered point shooting then maybe the New Agent will do for you. However, I dont consider myself a master of any shooitng technique and would prefer sights on my carry weapon.
    ironmike86 likes this.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I've found the trench system of the Colt New Agent to be perfectly acceptable, but of course it's something you'd want to practice with. As a concealed carry piece the New Agent is brilliant and small.
    Redline likes this.
    Nothing unreal exists

My .02

I added Crimson Trace grips to my New Agent and in my opinion it's the ideal CCW weapon. I don't foresee needing to shoot past 20 or 30 feet with this gun but if I ever have to the trench sight works well enough. Of course, in low light conditions the laser works at all distances!

Thumbs up Colt New Agent is my pick

I agree that the new Colt New Agent is the perfect CCW gun. This type of weapon is for self defense use at minimum distance where most incidents take place. Sights are not necessary and can be a hinderance catching clothing while drawing. Most Police Departments now practice hip shooting for their defense since it takes much more time to raise the pistol to eye level to fire. I guess my point is, learn this type of shooting and you will be miles ahead of the game when your life is threatened and you need to pull and fire your gun...JMHO!!
    Redline likes this.

I like the looks of the Agent better,Plus who needs sights in CQB.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Cool New Agent

Guess I'm a little late to this party. Anyway, my choice is the New Agent. I was apprehensive about the trench sight, but I bought it anyway, figuring it's a Colt, if I have to re-sell it, no problem getting back close to what I paid. To my surprise, the trench sight is amazing. It allows me to aquire a sight picture with both eyes open. I like it! Just because something is different, doesn't make it wrong. It may not be for everyone, but it is definitely for me! This little Colt has replaced a Glock 26, Kel Tec PF9, and a RIA 1911A1 CS, as my go-to concealed carry weapon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links