Defensive Carry banner

Which would you buy in the .40?

Wait for the new Generation 4 Glock, or get the M & P?

6K views 43 replies 35 participants last post by  basher052 
#1 ·
OK, if you were in the market for a new .40 caliber pistol, what would you get? The new generation Glock should be available before too long, but is it worth the wait?

#2 ·
I like the grip on the M&P more than any of the Glocks. Still don't want one though. I am not trying to troll, but why not have another choice for "other?"

#5 ·
I like the grip on the M&P more than any of the Glocks. Still don't want one though. I am not trying to troll, but why not have another choice for "other?"[/QUOTE]

That would be a boo boo on my part. I should have added "other", but I was only curious about these three guns for this poll.

#3 ·
I'm curious about the Gen4 Glock; I think I'd wait.

#4 ·
4th gen. glocks seem like they are aimed specifically for the left-handed market or for people who's hands just don't fit the current grip size. But If you are right handed and like the current grip size and feel then I really don't see the point of waiting.

Still, I am curious to see about the frame re-structuring for the .40 caliber glocks that I hear rumors about.

#8 ·
I've got an M&P .40S&W so I'm a little biased, but for good reason. The M&P was designed around the .40 cartridge. They've got a fully supported chamber. They also have better ergonomics (for me, at least).

While I look forward to seeing the Gen 4 Glocks, a gun in the hand is worth two at SHOT Show. If you don't NEED it right now, it might be worth the wait. Then again, it might not be.

#13 ·
I've got an M&P .40S&W so I'm a little biased, but for good reason. The M&P was designed around the .40 cartridge. They've got a fully supported chamber. They also have better ergonomics (for me, at least).

While I look forward to seeing the Gen 4 Glocks, a gun in the hand is worth two at SHOT Show. If you don't NEED it right now, it might be worth the wait. Then again, it might not be.

This is what I was looking at also. In the article on the 4th gen Glock, the author pointed out that the older Glocks are build on a 9mm design, and not a .40. That said, the Glock, any Glock for that matter, is still a strong platform. The enhancements of building it on a .40 platform can only help. I really dont think anyone could go wrong with any of the guns mentioned in this thread. :image035:

#10 ·
My 3rd generation 23 and 27 work fine for me.

#11 ·
If you're not in a hurry, it might be worth the wait.

That said, I'd wait about a year or so before buying any new gun, even a Glock.

I've purchased several guns when they were relatively new to market, and every one either had issues or a recall. Might be best to wait and ensure any bugs get worked out first. Hopefully, I will learn from my own experience!:35:

Personally, I don't think there is much to improve on the current Glock design, but I understand some folks with smaller hands find the grips too thick.

My only beef with the M&P is the hinged-trigger safety design - seems something catching the lower edge of the trigger could defeat the safety and fire the pistol. The optional thumb safety is a no-go for me - I just don't like them. I prefer the trigger-within-a-trigger design of the Glock, XD, and others - something would have to get all the way into the trigger guard to defeat the safety. JMHO, YMMV.

#12 ·
I voted for older glock because you could get a better deal on one or even buy a used one and get an even better deal, then save for mags, ammo, and a ton of holsters (which you will eventually get). Just more money for the extras.

Heck you could even get a 2nd gen glock without the finger groves and just add on a slip on Hogue grip or something like that and get the gun for $330 and down and then have plenty of money for extras. Just something to think about.

#15 ·
Glock is Good don’t take this the wrong way but…..

I will tell you that the M&P is better for a lot of reasons. First a lot of different safety options if your into safeties or not alot that is up to you.

Ambidextrous slide release(If your Left handed this can make or break a purchase), easy take down, very well balanced, light weight, slim, no sharp edges, accurate right out of the box, the grip and over all feel fit exactly as your hand is made.

Three different back-straps to fit you hand exactly. Low bore axis= better accuracy which= lead on target where it is supposed to be.

I have a M&P40 over 1000 rounds, no failures. 15+1 rounds, easily concealable. (It is not to be mistaken for the Sigma Series from S&W which many complained about).

Police Departments are switching over to them, and a lot of people are call them "Glock Like" (In my opinion i think the M&P is EQUAL if not better then a Glock that’s why i bought it)

Oh and the best part "Yeah It's American Made"

#17 ·
Glock is Good don’t take this the wrong way but…..

I will tell you that the M&P is better for a lot of reasons. First a lot of different safety options if your into safeties or not alot that is up to you.

Ambidextrous slide release(If your Left handed this can make or break a purchase), easy take down, very well balanced, light weight, slim, no sharp edges, accurate right out of the box, the grip and over all feel fit exactly as your hand is made.

Three different back-straps to fit you hand exactly. Low bore axis= better accuracy which= lead on target where it is supposed to be.

I have a M&P40 over 1000 rounds, no failures. 15+1 rounds, easily concealable. (It is not to be mistaken for the Sigma Series from S&W which many complained about).

Police Departments are switching over to them, and a lot of people are call them "Glock Like" (In my opinion i think the M&P is EQUAL if not better then a Glock that’s why i bought it)

Oh and the best part "Yeah It's American Made"
I know this part to be true. I have a good friend at Sugar Land PD that was on the selection board for new weapons. They were totally bought in to the M&P platform, but had a few problems when testing them out. (He did say it was small issues, but S&W did not get them taken care of quickly enough for them to get approval) SLPD decided to stay with the Glocks this round, but he said, in his opinion anyway, the M&P was a superior weapon for LEO needs, and he sees them in the department at some point.

#16 ·
Well, I was about to purchase a Glock to add to my arsenal but now I have a good reason to wait. I've owned 1911's and I really like them, but based on life experiences I no longer want a manual safety.

#18 ·
Current Glock. I don't know much about the m & p and from what I've heard about the 4th gen Glocks I'm not that excited. Plus there could be issues with new designs, although not too likely with Glock.

Joker1

#19 ·
I, for one, do not like the rough Glock grip, the RTF I believe. I don't have any problem with the older finish, although the adjustable fit sounds like a good improvement. I felt like the rougher grip would wear a blister with extended shooting sessions, calling for a glove. But that's my opinion, pick up both and decide for yourself.

The one thing that made me decide not to get the M&P was the pin in the center of the trigger. I felt it made a weak point, which my son, who has much more experience with pistols, agreed with. I'm sure someone's going to respond that there's nothing flimsy about it, but that's my first thought on the M&P.

I chose a Glock 30 because I wanted a .45 auto. The only "change" I see for the Glock is the extended slide lock lever. The factory one can be difficult to work with clumsy thumbs like mine. It's a $12-18 upgrade, so no big deal in the overall picture.

Again, it's up to you to pick up and decide.

#22 ·
I've had an M&P 40c for almost two years now and am completely satisfied with it. It fits my hand, I'm very comfortable with it, and I carry with a round in the chamber (with no issues). I've had no mechanical issues of any kind, for that matter. I am well and truly sold on the platform.

Just one man's opinion though, YMMV.

#23 ·
If it was me I'd go G27 and add the 4th gen down the road. While I'm sure the M&P is a fine pistol, but for my money, I'll stay with the Glock line up for CC and personal defense. I like the idea of having my CC and home defense systems following the same battery of arms for ease of use under less than ideal circumstances.

I've bounced around with the different manufacturers and found that I waisted allot of time and money on different makes and models. What I have come up with is, ya can't beat the LCP for deep cover and the G26, or G27 most EDC situations. You can certainly spend more money, but you wont necessarily end up with a better or more durable pistol. The Glocks IMO are some of the best options out there for CC and PD when reliability and durability is a concern for EDC. I have three as of now and plan to add another one or two in March. FWIW YMMV

GBK

#28 ·
I like the idea of having my CC and home defense systems following the same battery of arms for ease of use under less than ideal circumstances.
GBK
I agree

In the middle of the night when things goes postal is not the time to be think about which platform I have by the bedside.

:comeandgetsome:

#25 ·
Other----Walther P99----Other

#29 ·
I carried a Glock for 11 years both on-duty and off. Then last year our agency began having problems with our G22's and we switched to M&P 40s. I like the M&P, is shoots well and has well thought out ergonomics. That said, I prefer the Glock, to be honest. Both shoot well, but I guess I am just used to the Glock...

#30 ·
As with any pistol some people will like it some won't. See if your local range rents pistols and go from there. For ME the glocks just don't fit my hand as well as my M&P.
I bought the M&P45c for the simple fact that it is the same as my full size 45 but shorter grip and barrel. It fits my hand great and I can shoot it all day and night without any blistering.
Since it fits my hand better it also helps when I draw to aquire the correct hand positions. My hand just kind of slips around the grip instead of me grabbing the top most part of the pistol (wish my XD was more like that...)

The M&P won't have much in the way of aftermarket accessories but since its my CCW I'm not much for that anyway. Draw, point, and shoot.

I say to wait for the new Glock then take a test feel for both. If possible a test fire would also be good. Pick the one that fits you. They are BOTH reliable and rugged. They BOTH have different features that make them unique. Also they are BOTH safe to carry.

#31 ·
IMO if its possible wait till gen 4 comes out shoot both and see what you like that away you dont end up wishin you had waited cause you fall in love with a different one or could just buy both but thats not always plausable cause neither is an enexpensive hang gun

#32 ·
Both fine pistols, I would wait to see the Glock, hold them both and make my pick then. What ever one you pick, someone will say you should have went the other way. You can't go wrong with either.

#34 ·
Why wait for Glock to clone the best features of the M&P? Just get the real deal now... It will still feel better in the hand than the Glock, no matter how many backstraps they place on the brick.

#35 ·
be nice :haha:

Like you said its a changable backstrap not a true palmswell. The M&P's palmswell changes about half the grip shape

Is the mag release on the new glock going to be switchable like the M&P or truely ambi like the XD?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.