Wait for the new Generation 4 Glock, or get the M & P?

This is a discussion on Wait for the new Generation 4 Glock, or get the M & P? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, if you were in the market for a new .40 caliber pistol, what would you get? The new generation Glock should be available before ...

View Poll Results: Which would you buy in the .40?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Older Glock (27, 23, etc)

42 31.82%
  • M&P .40

70 53.03%
  • Generation 4 Glock

24 18.18%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wait for the new Generation 4 Glock, or get the M & P?

Wait for the new Generation 4 Glock, or get the M & P?

OK, if you were in the market for a new .40 caliber pistol, what would you get? The new generation Glock should be available before too long, but is it worth the wait?
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

I like the grip on the M&P more than any of the Glocks. Still don't want one though. I am not trying to troll, but why not have another choice for "other?"
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I'm curious about the Gen4 Glock; I think I'd wait.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

4th gen. glocks seem like they are aimed specifically for the left-handed market or for people who's hands just don't fit the current grip size. But If you are right handed and like the current grip size and feel then I really don't see the point of waiting.

Still, I am curious to see about the frame re-structuring for the .40 caliber glocks that I hear rumors about.
    "Shotgun bullets are bad for your health"
    -Ice Cube

[QUOTE=NoNameMan;1410436]I like the grip on the M&P more than any of the Glocks. Still don't want one though. I am not trying to troll, but why not have another choice for "other?"[/QUOTE]

That would be a boo boo on my part. I should have added "other", but I was only curious about these three guns for this poll.
    Andy
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    I'm curious about the Gen4 Glock; I think I'd wait.
    JD posted this in another thread

Gen 4 Glock: A Look at the New Features :: Guns Holsters and Gear
    Andy

[QUOTE=basher052;1410489]
    Quote Originally Posted by NoNameMan View Post
    I like the grip on the M&P more than any of the Glocks. Still don't want one though. I am not trying to troll, but why not have another choice for "other?"[/QUOTE]

That would be a boo boo on my part. I should have added "other", but I was only curious about these three guns for this poll.
    I have to say that I like the rough texture on the new Glocks. It's definitely an improvement.
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I've got an M&P .40S&W so I'm a little biased, but for good reason. The M&P was designed around the .40 cartridge. They've got a fully supported chamber. They also have better ergonomics (for me, at least).

While I look forward to seeing the Gen 4 Glocks, a gun in the hand is worth two at SHOT Show. If you don't NEED it right now, it might be worth the wait. Then again, it might not be.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Administrator
    I wouldnt buy a 40 M&P, and I don't really like the 4th gen Glocks... So I guess it would be a 3rd gen Glock for me.
    "Just blame Sixto"

My 3rd generation 23 and 27 work fine for me.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

If you're not in a hurry, it might be worth the wait.

That said, I'd wait about a year or so before buying any new gun, even a Glock.

I've purchased several guns when they were relatively new to market, and every one either had issues or a recall. Might be best to wait and ensure any bugs get worked out first. Hopefully, I will learn from my own experience!

Personally, I don't think there is much to improve on the current Glock design, but I understand some folks with smaller hands find the grips too thick.

My only beef with the M&P is the hinged-trigger safety design - seems something catching the lower edge of the trigger could defeat the safety and fire the pistol. The optional thumb safety is a no-go for me - I just don't like them. I prefer the trigger-within-a-trigger design of the Glock, XD, and others - something would have to get all the way into the trigger guard to defeat the safety. JMHO, YMMV.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I voted for older glock because you could get a better deal on one or even buy a used one and get an even better deal, then save for mags, ammo, and a ton of holsters (which you will eventually get). Just more money for the extras.

Heck you could even get a 2nd gen glock without the finger groves and just add on a slip on Hogue grip or something like that and get the gun for $330 and down and then have plenty of money for extras. Just something to think about.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    I've got an M&P .40S&W so I'm a little biased, but for good reason. The M&P was designed around the .40 cartridge. They've got a fully supported chamber. They also have better ergonomics (for me, at least).

While I look forward to seeing the Gen 4 Glocks, a gun in the hand is worth two at SHOT Show. If you don't NEED it right now, it might be worth the wait. Then again, it might not be.

This is what I was looking at also. In the article on the 4th gen Glock, the author pointed out that the older Glocks are build on a 9mm design, and not a .40. That said, the Glock, any Glock for that matter, is still a strong platform. The enhancements of building it on a .40 platform can only help. I really dont think anyone could go wrong with any of the guns mentioned in this thread.
    Andy

I like the third generation Glocks the best. I think if you can find one now, go ahead and buy that one. JMHO.
    God bless our troops!

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Glock is Good donít take this the wrong way butÖ..

I will tell you that the M&P is better for a lot of reasons. First a lot of different safety options if your into safeties or not alot that is up to you.

Ambidextrous slide release(If your Left handed this can make or break a purchase), easy take down, very well balanced, light weight, slim, no sharp edges, accurate right out of the box, the grip and over all feel fit exactly as your hand is made.

Three different back-straps to fit you hand exactly. Low bore axis= better accuracy which= lead on target where it is supposed to be.

I have a M&P40 over 1000 rounds, no failures. 15+1 rounds, easily concealable. (It is not to be mistaken for the Sigma Series from S&W which many complained about).

Police Departments are switching over to them, and a lot of people are call them "Glock Like" (In my opinion i think the M&P is EQUAL if not better then a Glock thatís why i bought it)

Oh and the best part "Yeah It's American Made"
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links