Small holes in snap caps....

This is a discussion on Small holes in snap caps.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have been working on my dry firing (revolver) with A-Zoom snap caps. Well I've noticed recently that when I squeeze the trigger sometimes the cylinder ...

Thread: Small holes in snap caps....

Small holes in snap caps....

Have been working on my dry firing (revolver) with A-Zoom snap caps. Well I've noticed recently that when I squeeze the trigger sometimes the cylinder does not rotate. It does not do this all the time…but it does happen. At first I thought I was not letting the trigger reset. So I look at the snap cap and see small little holes in the primer section of the snap cap. But these small holes are around the rim of the snap cap. Unfortunately, I am not a gunsmith and have no knowledge of "breaking down" a revolver.

What causes this? For this is my CC piece and don't want it to fail if ever needed! Please advise. Thanks

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    If the cylinder is not rotating when the trigger is pulled you need to stop carrying it and get it to a gunsmith. It sounds like you have something either loose or broken, causing the cylinder not to rotate. The holes on the edges of snap caps may very well be an indication of the cylinder not rotating completely and the hammer dropping and the firing pin missing the primer. DON'T trust you life to this gun until it has been checked out and repaired.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    if the cylinder is not rotating when the trigger is pulled you need to stop carrying it and get it to a gunsmith. It sounds like you have something either loose or broken, causing the cylinder not to rotate. The holes on the edges of snap caps may very well be an indication of the cylinder not rotating completely and the hammer dropping and the firing pin missing the primer. don't trust you life to this gun until it has been checked out and repaired.
    +++1. Get that gun to a gunsmith in a hurry!!
    IF YOU STAY READY, YOU AIN'T GOT TO GET READY

what brand of gun? the cylinder should turn each time when you pulll the trigger, no matter what is inside it (snap caps, live ammo, empty). if it don't then something is either broken inside the gun and/or locked up.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    If the cylinder is out of time it will cause funky things to happen. You need to get your revolver repaired.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

CA .44 special…this morning I did over 200 dry firers and at about 225-230 the cylinder skipped. Previously, when at the range…every time I squeeze the trigger the gun goes bang

Does not matter KoB, get it to a smith and get it checked. This might happen when you draw for self defense.
    ~Steve
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinNEPA View Post
    Does not matter KoB, get it to a smith and get it checked. This might happen when you draw for self defense.
    ~Steve
    And just as bad, if it does not align properly at the range....well....bad things happen . Get er to the gunsmith.
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by basher052 View Post
    And just as bad, if it does not align properly at the range....well....bad things happen . Get er to the gunsmith.
    Things will go very bad in a big way. If this happens the OP new nickname will be Lefty!!!

LOL…headed to the gunsmith as soon as I get off work!

Thanks for the input!

Links