Kimber Ultra Carry vs Colt Defender

This is a discussion on Kimber Ultra Carry vs Colt Defender within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Which on these would you choose for Carry and why? They are very similar in specs with the Colt being slightly lighter and cheaper. The ...

View Poll Results: Which one for Carry

Voters
212. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kimber Ultra Carry

116 54.72%
  • Colt Defender

96 45.28%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kimber Ultra Carry vs Colt Defender

Which on these would you choose for Carry and why? They are very similar in specs with the Colt being slightly lighter and cheaper. The Kimber also has a model that comes with the CT laser Grips.

I voted Kimber Ultra CDP because I have had one for my EDC for a couple of years without a problem, but either would be a great gun...which one call your name when you hold them?

This summer I switched my EDC to a Glock-36...for reasons other than dependability.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I voted for the Colt because I think lighter is better. My coworker bought a Kimber Ultra Carry II with crimson trace grips back in the summer. I've shot it several times. It's a very nice gun. However, it often it fails to feed the last round and jams with the round half way out of the mag. In all fairness, I suspect the problem is with the mag. Whatever the reason, it happened four times in about 80 rounds last Saturday.

I have a COLT defender Dehorned it and replaced the guiderod. Lightweight and Accurate.....
    Shoot Safe!
    Shoot Straight!
    www.mcsportingarms.com
    Kansas Certified Concealed Carry Handgun Instructor.

VIP Member
    I have a Tactical Ultra and think it's great...Using Wilson mags will improve function 100%... the factory mags are poor...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I voted for the Kimber because I have experience with it. I don't have experience with the Colt, but I'm sure it is a good gun too.

All of my Kimbers have been reliable. Early it its life, the Ultra CDP experienced some failures to feed. These malfunctions disappeared and the gun became my EDC for the time. I eventually let the Ultra go and got an Elite Carry (CDP Compact). It has not malfunctioned yet.
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I have the Kimber UC II with the crimson trace sights. The gun is awesome. I was going to buy the Defender mainly because it was cheaper, but I got an awesome deal on this gun. It shoots great, conceals great, and I love it. No FTF yet.

My brother in law has the Defender. It seems like a great gun too. Probably can't go wrong either way. I would handle both in the store and go with what feels better.

i have no experience with either, but i know people who have one or the other, and i'm friends with a shop owner or two. from what i gather, i'd get the Kimber. less issues out of the box, and great customer service, unlike Colt, who seem determined to go out of business by having some of the worst customer service in the world.

Ive had and have both and I like the Kimber. They are both superb and really in a blind taste test :) you couldnt tell the difference, but the Kimber seems more "comfortable" to me. I have allways been a Colt man. But this thing is awesome.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    i'd get the Kimber. less issues out of the box, and great customer service, unlike Colt, who seem determined to go out of business by having some of the worst customer service in the world.
    Funny how these things go, my experience has been the complete opposite.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

....unlike Colt, who seem determined to go out of business by having some of the worst customer service in the world.

Are you serious? I've heaerd nothing but 100% rave reviews on Colt's customer service. A couple of years ago, I needed a recoil spring for my Defender and they were out of stock. I called Colt just to ask if they knew anyone who might have one. The lady put me on hold for a couple of minutes, then came back, got my name and address, and sent me one for FREE from the service department. I even bought this gun used.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

JD
    Administrator
    I'd have to go Colt.

While the Kimber may be better equipped, at least you don't have to worry about your barrel rusting away on your Colt. Or that pesky break in period, or that goofy Swartz safety, or the hit or miss QC....

I know, I know, there are more happy Kimber customers than there are of us disgruntled ones, but don't discount our "bad luck" it can happen to you too.

JD
    Administrator
    And not to pick on Jah, but these two posts don't match given my experience with 4 Kimbers and 5 Colts.

i have no experience with either, but i know people who have one or the other, and i'm friends with a shop owner or two. from what i gather, i'd get the Kimber. less issues out of the box, and great customer service, unlike Colt, who seem determined to go out of business by having some of the worst customer service in the world.
    i'm a firm believer that a good gun shouldn't need a break-in period. my Taurus PT1911 has had exactly one jam since i bought it, on an old flat nosed Hornady, and i've lost track of how many rounds i put through; it's well over 1,000, at least.

in fact, i've never had a gun that needed to be broken in. triggers mat smooth out, and slides may wear, but considering what a gun may cost, it should work out of the box.

Kimber mandates a 400 - 500rd break in period. Some need it, some don't.

My choice was Kimber, hands down. Colt abandoned the civilian handgunner years ago, and neither their product quality nor their politics are on a par with Kimber's.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Kimbers good but they do not manufacture alot of the metal parts. They are made at Springfield to my understanding.

I could be wrong.

Anyways my carry is a 4" Tactical Pro II. I wanna get a 3" soon.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links