Am I thinking wrong here?

This is a discussion on Am I thinking wrong here? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Ruger P345 and a SA XD-40. I have been finding it difficult to get a consistent grip on either gun. Thus resulting ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I thinking wrong here?

Am I thinking wrong here?

I have a Ruger P345 and a SA XD-40. I have been finding it difficult to get a consistent grip on either gun. Thus resulting in non-consistant shooting.

I have shot a SA 1911 well and very consistant.

I am thinking about trading in both of my weapon for 1 1911. I will put 100 rds through it before I buy it.

I just keep trying to get a consistant grip and I know the problem is me. I have been shooting both weapons for over 3 months.

But, if I can get a good consistant grip on a 1911, wouldn't that be the better way to go? Instead of trying to learn a grip on either of the weapons, get a weapon that I can get a good grip on and become proficent with it.

Then if I want another weapon, get one and learn a grip for that weapon.

Am I making this more complicated than it is? or does this make some sense? Thoughts?

The only downside to the 1911 is round capacity, but a clip holder will resolve that.

2. Remove Ads

If you find you really like the 1911, there are double stack ones available so you can get that round capacity back up.

I switch back and forth between two carry pistols, a Steyr S40 and a Kahr MK9 ... they both grip VERY differently (different grip angles as well as grip lengths) so I understand the non-consistant problem you're having.

VIP Member
    Unless you are a collector of some sort, I think it's a great idea. Find a gun that fits you naturally as a carry gun. You will be able to acquire a target faster and feel more comfortable shooting it.

I also think you are at an advantage if you decide to go for this. You aren't in a hurry, so you can sit back and spend time looking for the right deal, or wait for one to come to you.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

VIP Member
    I'm right there with you. I experimented and finally decided that I just cannot shoot well with pistols that have double stack mags. I have no problem with revolvers, nor with my S&W 439, Makarovs, wife's Bersa .380. I have sold my Taurus PT-140 and have my Skyy for sale. I am waiting on my Sig P239 to come in so that I can test it so that it can be my carry piece.

I really don't know what there is about the double stack pistols that cause the problem. It may be the relatively square shape of the handle, but whatever it is the problem is real. Capacity may be important, but not as important as putting the round on target. If it holds 14 and I can't hit the BG with any of them it might as well be a paper weight. If it is 7 + 1 and I can put all in SOM, that's my carry choice.

If you are not sold on the 1911 you might try some of the other single stack pistols to determine if your problem is like mine. Let us know what you decide.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

That's why I carry a 1911 --- and I very much like Glocks. But, I just hit much better with a 1911. Maybe at some future time, I'll be confident with a Glock (or other similar design).
    Right now, the 1911 feels "right" and the bullet goes where I want.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg
    If it is 7 + 1 and I can put all in SOM, that's my carry choice.
    What's this 7+1 business. Chip McCormick makes 10 rounders for the 1911 and I think Wilson did also (called it the Bureaucrat), but I'm not sure if he still does. They work fine. Concealment seems to be ok, but then again, I'm 5'10" and 225 lbs so that might be more of a problem for others.
    There's a reason The Sopranos is set in New Jersey.
    Basic Pistol

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grnzbra
    What's this 7+1 business. Chip McCormick makes 10 rounders for the 1911 and I think Wilson did also (called it the Bureaucrat), but I'm not sure if he still does. They work fine. Concealment seems to be ok, but then again, I'm 5'10" and 225 lbs so that might be more of a problem for others.
    Sig makes 10 rounders for the P239 as well, but the standard is the 7 rounder. The point is though that I would rather have a weapon with 7+1 that I can hit with than one with 14 to 17 that I can't. I would rather have one with 20 or more I can hit with, but since that isn't going to happen I'll stick with hits first capacity second.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Administrator
    I usually carry a SIG 220 or a Combat Commander - Both are single stack 45s. I don't feel under gunned (in the least) especially with 2 extra mags. Just FYI

Absolutely...carry what fits your hand best.

Find a gun that fits you and your grip style i seem to be lucky and can switch guns at will ..

If the xd and ruger arent doing it for ya but you can wring out all the 1911 has .. then for sure buy the 1911

Lead Moderator
    Sure if the 1911 works better for you. I found I can shoot the most accurately with my 1911. I carry a USP sometimes too. I find the grip angle the same ,and experience no problems.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I carry a cz-75 pcr compact in the fall. And soon as I deem my xdsc reliable with defence loads that will be my summer gun. Ill practice some with my chosen gun before I carry to get reaquainted with it. I can usally adapt pretty quick to each handgun I use. Good luck in which ever way you go.

Sixgun

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    i carry 6+1 in 9mm and dont feel underguned for civilian ccw
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Sounds like you're definitely on the right track. I've always liked the ergonomics and reliability of Sig pistols, in particular the P229. However, as much as I try to focus, I just CAN'T get the manual of arms straight in my head (the slide release and safety/decock are reversed from the 1911) so I've never bought one. I have the opposite problem with Glocks: I WANT to like them and I've looked them over several times but they've all felt odd in my grip. Even if I bought one I know I wouldn't shoot it or carry it so what's the point?

Now the 1911 ... well, it fits me just fine. All sorts of aftermarket parts and customization possibilities, several proven calibers available (though I prefer .45ACP), a nice, flat profile that's not too uncomfortable IWB and I shoot it pretty well. Don't forget, Para has the LDA if you prefer DA guns too!

You've GOT to have a weapon that feels natural to you if you want to shoot it well and build confidence in it - no matter what that weapon may be.
    Jack

Being comfortable is a big key. If you're not comfortable with your weapon, you won't shoot it well. That can get you killed. If you're comfortable and accurate with the 1911 type of handgun, by all means, look into getting one.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    could it be the 1911 is also a SA trigger. This often makes it more accruate, on the first shot anyway.
    I carry a plus one extended wilson mag in my ultra carry and love it. most civilian ccw situations aren't going to call for more than 6 rounds.. but I do carry a single mag holder on the weak side, just in case.
    I couldn't get away from the single stack 1911, they just fit. you pick it up and it feels comfortable. I have owned two rugers, a pt-140, and a kimber double stack 1911, but nothing fits like john brownings original.-so that is what is in the holster everyday. and with 45acp in the tube, I feel comfortable with 7 rounds.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links