If you had to choose between 32acp and 380...

This is a discussion on If you had to choose between 32acp and 380... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thinking about it ~ The Little .32 Seecamp was an awesome little tiny all Stainless BUG....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: If you had to choose between 32acp and 380...

Administrator
    Thinking about it ~ The Little .32 Seecamp was an awesome little tiny all Stainless BUG.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Well if its acp to acp i have to say .380 for me , might just have to re think that if you throw .32naa or .32 h&r mag into the mix lol
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I'd choose 380 -- but I purchased 32. When I got my Kel-Tec, the 32 had a more "proven" record and the 380 was relatively new. If I bought again, I might go with the 380, but then again, I'd like to try Kel-Tec's new 9mm.

I the only small gun I have is a Keltec P3AT .380 I cant imagine a better gun in it's intended role as backup, pocket carry, hideout gun. Mine has been 100% reliable, accurate, hits precisely where I aim it. is very light weight. I was concerned about recoil but at least for me the snappy kick is in no way way painful and allows me fast multi shot hits at all practicle ranges. I dont need or want anything less powerful.

If you were looking for the utmost concealable and smallest BUG you could find, something in the .32 would probably be your better bet. If you can move up to something a tad bigger, than the .380 would probably be the better choice.

What's more important for your needs? The caliber or the size of the BUG?
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodSamaritan
    If you had to choose between 32acp and 380acp for a bug/deep concealment rig, what would you do?
    Run!!

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    i carry a Kel Tec gen one, P3AT, and really like it. Like Chris said, they aren't not for weak handed shooters, as the little thing barks. but for price, and concealment, they can't be beat. I carry mine in a pocket holster or in a coat pocket. I bought a +1 mag with grip extension, and would REALLY recommend that. It makes all the difference in the world when firing this gun. and doesn't add much to size or weight.
    after break in, i haven't had an ounce of trouble with mine.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Don't forget to check out the Beretta 84FS and the Browning BDA. You can purchase hi-caps for both. Both are quite comfy to carry concealed. Just my .02
    "The Day We Lose The Second Amendment Will Be The Day We Start The Second Revolution"
    "I Didn't Vote For Him"!

.32 is only a consideration if you think .22 is "good enough".

My wife and mother both carry a Tomcat 32 by Berretta. I personally like the little thing. It shoots wonderfully and there has never been a problem with either one.

For a Bug I say 32, but if it is going to be a primary carry for you, I say a 380. But try both calibers and find the gun that is right for you.
    Crookcatchr

Theres no such thing as owning to many guns.

It all depends on what you expect. If it truly is a BUG, the smaller profile, particularly of a Seecamp or Keltec, is to your advantage. I say this assuming that a BUG means +/- 7 yards, or after they have their hands on you/have beaten you down. I just took my two Seecamps to the range this weekend, and have to say, I'm more than pleased! Fiocci JHPs gave lots of nice dime-nickle sized keyholes. Jab it in someone's crotch, under an arm, or under the chin, and the problem is going to resolve hurridly.

Now. If you want something that you can use at "normal" handgun ranges, smaller than your "regular", but still a handful, then a larger .380, with higher capacity, is the way to go.

I will toss out two other thoughts:
    1) The Seecamp .380 is more expensive, but it is the same size as the .25/.32. (The NAA offerings are substantially larger) If deep concealment is intended, nothing else compares.

2)Caliber debate at the "low end" (.22/.25/.32/.380-though to be honest there is a "punch" difference between the .20 cal and the .30 cal rounds)is the same as caliber debate at the "mid range"(9mm/.38Spl./.357/.45)- it depends more on placement than size. I've seen people drag their butts into the ER with everything except 12g slugs, to the core body, and live.

I owned a kel-tec p32 and traded it. It was a good little pocket pistol but I did not have an application for it as I did not have my CCW at the time. With the later currently pending, I will probably pick up a kel-tec P3AT in the near future. Bottom line (and back to Chris comment), the bigger the better in my opinion.

As for the quality of Kel-Tec? I put about 500 rds through my .32 without a hitch. Those little guns are in a league of their own where price/concealability is concerned. Good luck with the decision.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

VIP Member
    .380 - I love my little Mustang, which has been proven reliable and accurate. My .38 Spl. Colt Cobra is my BUG, but if I can't conceal anything else for whatever, it's the Mustang.

I've only had one .32, and that was a KelTec P32. Crusty trigger, I wasn't as accurate with it, and I just couldn't get myself to like it. It does have a much slimmer profile than my Mustang , is decent for deep concealment, and great if you don't like cocked n' locked carry.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I carry a Kel-Tec P3AT each and every day. On duty it is my “BUG”. Off duty it is still on my body, sometimes as my primary. A 380 auto or a .32 in hand is better than two .45’s back home or under the car seat. Yes I known most will make fun of the 380 auto and/or .32. But I do not see any one volunteering to get shot by one.

frankmako

OD*
    I "bug" carry a Kel-Tec P32, purchased before the intro of the P3AT and not enough difference to trade. I do carry it with hardball, they need penetration.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links