If you had to choose between 32acp and 380...

This is a discussion on If you had to choose between 32acp and 380... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm with Artz and Betty on this one. The Colt Mustang 380 is a great BUG!!! I also have started carrying it in suit and ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: If you had to choose between 32acp and 380...

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I'm with Artz and Betty on this one. The Colt Mustang 380 is a great BUG!!! I also have started carrying it in suit and tie situations. I also have a 32, but prefer the Colt.

2. Remove Ads

You could look at some of the gun auction sites for the now discontinued Detonics Pocket 9, a 9mm semi-auto. They're available in the $300.00 to $400.00 range.
    The power of the future is in its ability to inspire the present.

I know its not a 380 or a 32acp but have you looked at Kahrs PM9 or even the PM40. The PM9 is only slightly larger than the KT P3AT and packs a better punch. And slightly larger is the 40 cal PM40. These guns might even weigh less than the NAA Guardian and will be thinner.

I am currently saving for a PM9 and it will be my always carry gun. I already have a 9mm so I chose the 9 over the 40. I'll also carry either a GLOCK 26 or a 1911 depending on what dress allows.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Not aiming this at anybody but.....the people that think that a KT P-3AT is just slightly larger/bigger than this or that are wrong. Compare this >>> weight fully loaded,width,height,and legnth.

To me, for a Bug to be carried(religiously) the weight and width are the biggies. There are some small weapons out there that are heavier and wider than the P-3AT. This would fail to meet my criteria for a BUG. Also for a BUG you don't have to worry about sights or(to a certin degree) capacity.

POWER ??? A compromise. The most in the smallest package works for me.(remembering weight) Forget the .454 Casull derringer also.

Compare your bugs to the weight that I have listed above for the P-3AT and see what you get. While your at it measure the width at the widest point. The P-3AT is .795".

To me, a BUG is all about compromise. You gotta be willing to give up a little to get the things that you want/need in a BUG. One person's BUG is another persons primary, and visa-versa. ---------

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    My better half carries a Sig 232 in .380. It's a heck of a good gun, even though a bit expensive. I'd certainly go .380 over a .32. I don't have much faith in a .32. I think I'd rather have a .22 mag than a .32

Those SIG 232s sure are slick guns. My unlce has a stainless 232 with hogue grips. I really enjoyed my range time with it. And if my fiance decides to really get into guns I'd consider the 232 as a gun for her

Just my $0.02...

Kel-Tec P3AT: 8.3oz, 0.77" w, 5.2" L, 3.5" H, 6+1 .380, ~$180

Kahr PM9: 14oz, 0.90" W (Slide, grip is slightly wider), 5.3" L, 4.0" H, 6+1 9mm ~ $650

Rohrbaugh R9: 12.8oz, 0.812" w, 5.2" L, 3.7" H, 6+1 9mm, ~$900

The Rohrbaugh is the Ferrari of pocket guns, Kahr's the Cadillac, the P3AT is more like a Toyota. I know, you get what you pay for, but I can't afford to drive a Ferrari. In similar size/weight package, there isn't much else available. I love Kahr handguns, but the small difference in size makes a huge difference in my jeans pocket. They just don't disappear the way the KT or Rohrbaugh does. Same for any revolver bigger than the NAA widow type. Some can get away with it, I can't.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

The P-3AT's around here have gone up to $300-$325 now. This time last year they were $249-$269.

WUZZUP WIT DAT ?? -------

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    RZZ supply/demand the demand for them is outstripping kel-tech's ability to produce them now that they seem to have the bugs worked out of them
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Administrative Ban Array Red Stick's Avatar
    I've never used the 32 but I love my Bersa Thunder .380. The thing feels like part of my own hand and fires like a champ.

I carry a P-32 everywhere. In 380 its my PPK/S. Bersa or Colt Mustang, But P-32 still on me somewhere. If I'm carrying my Combat Commander the P-32 is on me somewhere. Starting to see a patern.
    1990, 1992 Colt Mustang 1941 Colt USGI 1951 Colt Commander 9MM
    1972 Colt Combat Commander 1994,1997 Colt Officer ACPs 2001 Colt LTW Commander 2005 Colt Defender 2007 Dan Wesson
    early Detonics come visit http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com or www.bersachat.com

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Thanks for the replys everyone.

I was 99% sold on the NAA guardian in .380 but I will have to take another look at the Ket-tec and the bersa thunder.

I also thank everyone for leaving the haughty "my caliber is better than your caliber" wars out of it. If it was feasable I would carry a 1911 every day.
    As I have said before. In my line of work, concealability, is a very high priority. Due to my build, the type of work I do, and the cut of my work uniforms, my choices are limited.
    Pocket holster carry is the most convienent and readily accessable method for me. The .380 seems to be a good trade off.

Thanks again!
    Bryan

With these little weapons we train to hit em and hit em and hit em. The little BUG or deep conceal weapon, be it .380,.32,etc.,will be used inside 7 or even 3 yards. Practice this.

Put three very quickly(but controlled) in COM at 5 yards. It's a great confidence builder.Figure out the energy transfer of the 3 hits. I'll make you feel warm and fuzzy inside. Nobody should discount them little gunz.

Carry them pepsqueeks if you have to(or want to),but by all means,feel good about it. After all,when your invited to a gunfight,you'll have a gun.--------

I would have to say that my Gen.2 is allot better than the older mods. The extractor(with proper torque applied to the screw) works very well.

These little weapons,when new,are in need of a F&B as much,if not more,than any other firearm. I followed the procedures on the KT shooters site and all's well with my weapon.--------

erh
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodSamaritan
    Thanks for the responses.
    You guys have confirmed what I was already thinking.

I am looking at a NAA Guardian in 380 as my next firearm purchase and just wanted to do my homework. Now, however I will have to take another look at the Kel Tec p3at. The do seem to be a bit less expensive.
    Interested in a completely Customized NAA Guardian.380?

XS night sights, Semi Melted, front & rear stippled, all appointments polished, trigger port & polish job, & all papers w/ box. (20 rounds fired for testing - "Silvertips") Comes w/ 3 mags & Extra set of Rosewood Hogue grips, & hex head SS screws. = $585.00 delivered to your FFL.?

Eric
    Eric Howland
    Savannah, GA.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links