Looking for most relieable ccw gun

This is a discussion on Looking for most relieable ccw gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm new to pistols, I'm 20 turn 21 in a week and looking to get my concealed carry permit and a good gun. I'm looking ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

I'm new to pistols, I'm 20 turn 21 in a week and looking to get my concealed carry permit and a good gun. I'm looking for the most reliable gun that is easy to conceal in a IWB holster. I am 5'6" 120lbs and have small hands. I was looking at the Kahr P9 but don't think it is reliable enough, I went and shot a P9 and P40 today and both had FTF problems and had a couple ejecting issues. I think the Glock is too big for my hands, so I'm looking for a single stack magazine gun that is reliable as a glock, anyone care to comment please do so. Thanks in advance.

Glock makes single stack guns. Reliable, light, easy to conceal. Can't go wrong with one of the baby Glocks.

Glock does make a single stack magazine pistol! G36. Nothing wrong with 45acp.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Levathain View Post
    I'm new to pistols, I'm 20 turn 21 in a week and looking to get my concealed carry permit and a good gun. I'm looking for the most reliable gun that is easy to conceal in a IWB holster. I am 5'6" 120lbs and have small hands. I was looking at the Kahr P9 but don't think it is reliable enough, I went and shot a P9 and P40 today and both had FTF problems and had a couple ejecting issues. I think the Glock is too big for my hands, so I'm looking for a single stack magazine gun that is reliable as a glock, anyone care to comment please do so. Thanks in advance.
    I bolded the problem with the Kahr.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy Mike View Post
    Glock makes single stack guns. Reliable, light, easy to conceal. Can't go wrong with one of the baby Glocks.
    There is only one, and I doubt the OP would be able to use it the standard Glocks are to big. The G36 is a great gun, however, it still has a bit of a wide grip.

Take a look at a Sig P6 or 225.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Snubby? S&W 442/642

Go with the G26 with the factory mag.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    - I agree 100%. I'm not sure that their polymer guns are the best first gun to own. I own 3 Kahr pistols (MK9, PM9, P380) and all have been flawless. But then again, I meticulously cleaned them before shooting them the first time and racked the slide on each about 200 times before my initial break in period. Although the MK9 usually never gets the same FTE, FTF issues as the polymer guns in their lineup. You might want to look into Kahr's all steel frame guns.

I'm only 5'1" and 135lbs. I also own a Glock 27 and think that it was a perfect first gun for me. I can't imagine that my hands are bigger than yours and I've never had an issue shooting or holding it. I haven't carried it since I bought the Kahrs though since they are much slimmer and the PM9 is much lighter. You may also want to look at the Walther PPS since that is also a slim gun.

Funny, but I've read people that have no problems in a 1000 rounds and read about a lot of people having problems, and when I went to shoot them I had problems. Doesn't sound too reliable to me. I don't want to have to deal with getting a kahr with those problems, it seems like hit or miss. I want to be 100% confident that if I have to pull a gun that it is going to work.

VIP Member
    Though I don't own one, you might want to look at the Taurus 'slim' series, it's a single stack 9mm, not sure about other calibers, with a fairly small grip... there are some here that own them and speak highly of them...

The M&P's have interchangeable grips, look at these too...

BTW Welcome to the forum...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Go with the G26 with the factory mag.
    I already stated that the glock is too big for my hand.

Glock does make a single stack magazine pistol! G36. Nothing wrong with 45acp.
    Is the grip significantly smaller than the double stacked mags?

Funny, but I've read people that have no problems in a 1000 rounds and read about a lot of people having problems, and when I went to shoot them I had problems. Doesn't sound too reliable to me. I don't want to have to deal with getting a kahr with those problems, it seems like hit or miss. I want to be 100% confident that if I have to pull a gun that it is going to work.
    Smith & Wesson 442 or 642 38 Special Snubnosed Revolver. Great first concealed carry gun and everyone should have one in thier collection. They fit small hands great. Get started with this and then go shoot some Glocks, Rugers, Sigs, etc. to see which semi is comfortable in your hand.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

You will find the best for you if you first get some formal training in basic handgun shooting. Many problems one has with handguns are rooted in improper handling and lack of instruction.

After a basic handgun course you'll be much better prepared to go gun hunting. Then go find a place that has some rentals and shoot as many as possible. Don't rush to spend your money till you're sure. Rent and try first. You may find that what you thought originally was not suitable is perfect when you have a good basic understanding of shooting mechanics.

Good luck and glad to see the new shooters coming in!

Smith & Wesson 442 or 642 38 Special Snubnosed Revolver. Great first concealed carry gun and everyone should have one in thier collection. They fit small hands great. Get started with this and then go shoot some Glocks, Rugers, Sigs, etc. to see which semi is comfortable in your hand.
    Revolvers just don't turn me on, I'm sure they are great and work well but I'm looking for a semi-auto though.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I think that is some of the issue people have had with the Taurus PT709 Slim. I think some folks new to guns get them because they are thin and comfortable and not overbearingly large or heavy for a first gun, but the small light semi-autos in 9mm are very sensitive to limp wristing. I haven't had any issues with it since I've been shooting for 25+ years.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

You will find the best for you if you first get some formal training in basic handgun shooting. Many problems one has with handguns are rooted in improper handling and lack of instruction.

After a basic handgun course you'll be much better prepared to go gun hunting. Then go find a place that has some rentals and shoot as many as possible. Don't rush to spend your money till you're sure. Rent and try first. You may find that what you thought originally was not suitable is perfect when you have a good basic understanding of shooting mechanics.

Good luck and glad to see the new shooters coming in!
    You're probably right, I'm trying not to rush, I've read a lot and watched a lot of videos, shot a couple guns today. And taking my safety class in a month. I'm just looking for some knowledgeable nice people to shorten the length of time for looking for a gun.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links