Calling all Kahr shooters - Page 2

Calling all Kahr shooters

This is a discussion on Calling all Kahr shooters within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've only had my CW9 a month and only put 100 rounds through it but so far all of them went bang without a problem. ...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    I've only had my CW9 a month and only put 100 rounds through it but so far all of them went bang without a problem.

I did have an issue with the slide not wanting to release when trying to chamber a round at first but after the first 50 rounds it's flawless.

I have 4 Kahrs, K9, CW9, CW45, amd a PM40. All are reliable, and great.
    The United States Constitution (c)1791. All Rights Reserved.

Like Sixto, I own some, and the others on my security team own some. None of us have ever had an issue that wasn't related to technique.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I have had a Kahr pm 40. The manufacture said,” It had to have a break in period”, but never got it to work right. They would not back the gun even though it was purchased new; I had to pay to have them fix it and shipping. I received it back and about every 20 rounds it would jam. I sold it. I’ve only sold two guns in my life, a sigma 40 and a Kahr 40 both no good.

I bought a CW9 two years ago. In the first year I had to send it in to Kahr three or four times for service. the first time was when part of the metal slide rail broke off at the front. The second time was when part of the trigger group (a spring?) broke. The third time was when the trigger linkage needed adjustment to get the gun to fire. The last (fourth?) time was when, after about 2,500 live rounds and about 3,000 dry fire clicks the striker broke and a crack appeared in a joint in one of the magazines. Kahr fixed all these problems under warranty.

At present, the gun's shot about 3,000 live rounds and experienced about 9,000 dry fire clicks over it's lifetime, the action is very smooth, it's reliable, I trust it, and I'm very happy with it.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

My PM9 has been flawless with more than 1500 rounds through it in the last 2 years. Certainly, there have been some issues with a few guns. In those cases, I think it's worth the effort to have Kahr make it right. However, don't believe all the bashing you see out there. Not only on this board, but others like GlockTalk, Kahr gets falsely bashed with made up issues (a couple current threads out there now) ... by owners of other brands (often Glock) that are trying to promte their pistol as the "best".

The Kahr is a great carry pistol. I wouldn't hesitate.

I carry a P9 daily and trust it completely. I have about 2k rounds thru it without a single problem.

Thanks for commenting everyone, it seems like about 98% of you are very satisfied with your Kahr's, which is about what I expected to find.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

I have a CW9 and have a little over 700 rounds down range with it. It has been a good performer for me, but I have since retired mine to the safe and a home defense roll with a sometimes CC role. Not so much because of negative reviews by others, but because I found a revised love for the Glock line. Would I carry my CW9 into battle, Yes. Would I choose it over any of my Glocks, NO. YMMV

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I have a CW9 and although I only have about 350 rds. through it, performance has been flawless so far. I like the gun a lot, and it fits a role for carry when I just can't carry a full size gun, (which is my first choice), because of dress.

Recently, I read a disturbing account of how a guy went to unload his CW9, and as he dropped the mag then racked the slide, a round went off! Apparently, unlike a Glock, when a Kahr is in the ready position, the striker is fully cocked. This gun, it was determined had brass shavings in the striker channel, and that was the only thing holding back the striker because the trigger block, or (something like that I'm really not sure), was also broken.
    Luckily for him, he only killed some drywall!

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Just shot my new PM9 Wednesday and Thursday. 4 failures in the first 110 rounds. Slide stayed open after I shot. Next 290 rounds perfect. Next 25 rounds with 124 +P Remington Golden Sabres carry ammo, one shot slide stayed open. Not to happy. I am going to shoot another 150 FMJ and 25 more of my carry I guess and see what happens. The Kahr rep is involved. He told me to try a different carry ammo. I really don't want to because I shoot it out of all my 9's and like it.

"American Rifleman" article

I think this is an excellent article from American Rifleman, looking at the .45 Kahr pistols:

http://www.americanrifleman.org/Webc...514-kahr45.pdf

Excerpt:

"This pistol [PM45] crowds the performance envelope very hard, and the others do the same thing to a lesser degree. I am not attempting to warn any prospective buyer away from a Kahr, but
    I would hope everyone understands that there are difficulties associated with using it
    ."

Like any machine that pushes the design envelope, there is going to be less margin for error. When it works, you get a cutting edge machine. But...there is a price to be paid for being on the cutting edge and pushing the design envelope. Kahr is on the very cusp of reliability and durability for small, light pistols that fire powerful cartridges, IMHO. (And yes, I've owned three of them.)

As long as you understand that...cool.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I don't need one...I don't need one...I don't need one...I don't need one....

Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    Recently, I read a disturbing account of how a guy went to unload his CW9, and as he dropped the mag then racked the slide, a round went off! Apparently, unlike a Glock, when a Kahr is in the ready position, the striker is fully cocked. This gun, it was determined had brass shavings in the striker channel, and that was the only thing holding back the striker because the trigger block, or (something like that I'm really not sure), was also broken.
    Luckily for him, he only killed some drywall!
    Well, I think the guy who wrote the account was disturbed. If it's the thread I'm thinking about, no determination was made. My determination is that it was a figment of someone's imagination and the incident was a plain, old ND.

The striker is only partially cocked. Pulling the trigger finishes cocking the striker and by the time the striker is ready to be released, the other lobe has depressed the firing pin safety. Even if a dump truck load of brass shavings were in the striker channel and held the cocked striker back when the trigger was released, you would have to have a firing pin safety malfunction as well to make the alleged scenario play out. One thing not pointed out is that, if the f.p, channel is so full of crud that it hold the striker back after the trigger released it, how is it going to make the trip fast enough to set off a primer?
    Cloudpeak

Own and carry three (CW9, PM9, PM45) with several hundred rounds through each. No problems at all.
    -LP
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." - Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links