Defensive Carry banner

Calling all Kahr shooters

17K views 153 replies 108 participants last post by  amready 
#1 ·
I am considering purchasing either a Kahr PM9 or a CW45. Lately, however, I have been hearing some bad stuff about Kahr's specifically as it relates to reliability issues. Are these just isolated examples? I realize that people only post things online when they have problems with a product, but I really don't want to purchase a firearm just to have to send it back to the factory 2 or 3 times. Any input from you Kahr shooters would be greatly appreciated.

#66 ·
I have had my Kahr PM9 for almost 2 years and put about 1000 rnds thru it. When I first got it I had trouble slingshot loading the first round from a full magazine. I was really upset. However after reading many posts and practicing I realized that if I learned to aggressively slingshot the slide then all was well. By aggressively I mean pulling the slide back with my left hand while pushing forward with the right and releasing the slide with no hesitation or attempt to ride it back. Works every time and the gun is flawless now. It is the best carry gun I have ever owned and I love the thing. Slim, light, and effective. It shoots great the sights are perfect. Buy one, I do not think you will be sorry. I would buy another in a flash.

#67 ·
When I first got it I had trouble slingshot loading the first round from a full magazine. I was really upset. However after reading many posts and practicing I realized that if I learned to aggressively slingshot the slide then all was well.
- Is there a particular reason you're using the slingshot method with the Kahr? Are you carrying without one in the chamber?

#68 ·
Congrats on the MK9 .... for your birthday have her get you some Crimson Trace (excellent customer service if you ever need them for anything) the ones for the mk9 in particular look like they were MADE for the gun...

I got the MK9 for the same price as a PM9 and I actually like the weight. I didn't have any real firearm experience before but at the range at least I could do double-taps with one hand very easily...it must be the gun. :) It was my first and so far, only gun (budgetary constraints, I'd love to get a glock, a sig, a 1911, a CZ, and I have to get a shotgun and down the road an AR) so I wanted something that was small enough that I would have no excuse but to always carry it and so far for the past 5 months, I've done that religiously.

#69 ·
I have the PM-9. I had maybe 6 FTF in the first 50 rounds. After that, flawless.
I think it is the finest 9mm carry gun out there when you consider size, cost, quality, and reliability.
It has been replaced by my Sig P-238, but that's a .380.
When I first got it I had trouble slingshot loading the first round from a full magazine. I was really upset.
The manual specifically states to load the first round via the slide release.
I suspect that is because the recoil spring is so darn strong.
Also why I don't think the PM-9 might be well suited for some people. (and most women...not all, don't write me)

#70 ·
I've had to send my PM9 back to kahr twice and just haven't shot it enough since to make an opinion. It has about 1500 rds through it and was unreliable - many fte's. The barrel was replaced by them the first time back and the problems continued so the gun was returned with all seven of the mags ( I always buy extra mags when purchasing a new gun). Hopefully, the problem is solved. It's too bad about the poor reliability as it's really compact, light and accurate.

#71 ·
I have a Kahr K9, P9 & P9 Covert, all of which have performed great. There have been issues with the early polymers, but from what I understand the newer polymers are not having near the issues of the older. K9 (steel) have had very few issues from the start. P9 again had early issues, but newer models have been pretty good from what I have read. Mine is a 2005 & no problems. The PM9 had a barrel peening issue early, but have not read about any newer models with that problem. I am in the market for a newer PM9 and would not get rid of any of the other Kahrs. They fit my hand very well, accurate and their function has been perfect. I trust my life to them every day I carry one.

#72 ·
I had issues with PMC ammo. The striker would dent the primer and they jsut wouldnt go off. Probably 3 out of 50. Ive run this ammo thru other guns with zero issues. All from the same lot.

Everything else Ive fired has been flawless, including 300 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 127 +p which is my carry ammo. I love the gun, so easy to conceal. Its my summer carry and one I toss in the pocket for quick trips out of the house.

The main issue people have is racking the slide. Kahr recommends pulling back and letting it lock. then release the lever. Racking it manually sometimes can cause a jam... I havent had this issue though.

#76 ·
I like my PM9 so much, that I am going to replace my 1911 with a Kahr P45 as my primary carry. It weighs around 19 oz and with my back problems I could still carry it all day in a quality IWB holster. I love my 1911 but even the Light weight Commander version is still tough on my back......

#77 ·
tokerblue I slingshot load most of the time because where I work and play I need to unload and carry without one in the pipe. After leaving the premises or area I need to again reload and have always loaded that way. As I was told, from battery is the correct way to chamber the first round on a PM9 but as stated above sometimes you just need to work the slide to load.

#78 ·
I've had my PM9 for almost a year now and have only had 2-3 malfunctions. Those malfunctions came during the initial break-in period where I had fired the first 250 rounds. Since then, the little gun has been great! Just keep it clean, well lubed, and fire it every often. :AR15firing:

#79 ·
Safety First, That's similar to what I did, I am CC a P9 in my Ultra Carry II's holster... it seems much easier on my back.

J.W.

#80 ·
Kahr PM40

I carry the Kahr PM40 all day as my primary. I find it accurate and a pleasure to shoot. The size, weight and grip size make it a much better concealed carry option than the Glock 27. I've had zero issues with it. My wife carrys a P380 and the only problem with it was it would not shoot Herter's ammo that I bought (600 rounds) from Cabelas. Cabelas was quick to refund my full purchase price + shipping! Then I found a buyer for it, he tested it in his .380 and bought the whole lot. Although more pricey, for the quality I say Kahr is the best for non-LEO conceal carry.

Let us learn our lessons. … Never believe any war will be smooth and easy or that anyone who embarks on that strange voyage can measure the tides and hurricanes he will encounter. The statesman who yields to war fever must realize that once the signal is given, he is no longer the master of policy but the slave of unforeseeable and uncontrollable events… incompetent or arrogant commanders, untrustworthy allies, hostile neutrals, malignant fortune, ugly surprise, awful miscalculations. Winston Churchill

#81 ·
I carry my PM9 75% of the time, especially during the warmer months. It has been reliable and accurate with over 1200 rounds through it. It had 3 or 4 FTF during the first 150 rounds but has been fine since.
Keech

#84 ·
Kahr CW9

I read such a mix of good and bad about Kahr pistols. After months of back and forth scouring gun forums I bought a CW9. Its a really great pistol. Its my carry pistol.

-- Richard

#88 ·
My son and I got our PM-40's within two weeks of each other and on the 175th round a follower broke on his magazine also his slide pin was bad; Kahr promptly replaced both. Mine has been flawless after 300 rounds. Just the other day, my son noticed that the pin that holds the side plate on was missing & was loose, he didn't have a clue what happened to it & he hasn't called Kahr yet.

The PM-40 is so easy to carry that u hardly notice it's there. I've got a S&W sigma 40 and it feels like a rock on my hip. Probably, my next purchase will be a PM-45.

#89 ·
It's mostly all BS. Or isolated incidents. Overhyped Internet bologna. Many operator error NEGLIGENT discharges, not accidental blamed on the weapon, bitched about on the net.

Take a chance. Be bold. You will be pleasantly surprised by Kahr. Trust me. I did and I am very happy with my decision.

I love my newly acquired MK9 Elite. I wish I had discovered it sooner. It will never leave my side. I have never met a person with, seen, heard of personally or personally experienced ANY of the problems associated with Kahrs on the internet. I did have one single, solitary FTE in the first 150 rds of mixed FMJ & JHP run through the weapon during initial breakin. Nary a belch, burp or hiccup since.

After the first range trip, it found it's way into the never sell pile.

After the second range trip, it found itself in the carry rotation pile.

After the third range trip, it found itself in the don't ever leave home without it pile.

I trust my life to my MK9.

#90 ·
It's mostly all BS. Or isolated incidents. Overhyped Internet bologna. Many operator error NEGLIGENT discharges, not accidental blamed on the weapon, bitched about on the net.

Take a chance. Be bold. You will be pleasantly surprised by Kahr. Trust me. I did and I am very happy with my decision.

I love my newly acquired MK9 Elite. I wish I had discovered it sooner. It will never leave my side. I have never met a person with, seen, heard of personally or personally experienced ANY of the problems associated with Kahrs on the internet. I did have one single, solitary FTE in the first 150 rds of mixed FMJ & JHP run through the weapon during initial breakin. Nary a belch, burp or hiccup since.

After the first range trip, it found it's way into the never sell pile.

After the second range trip, it found itself in the carry rotation pile.

After the third range trip, it found itself in the don't ever leave home without it pile.

I trust my life to my MK9.
I'm right there with you...

#91 ·
I have an early edition P9, went back to the factory for safety concerns after about 150 rounds. Came back and was a safe queen until I decided to get my CPL again. 100 rounds later the pin was almost out of the trigger. Back to being a safe queen.
The new P9's I'm sure are 100% reliable, mine was circa 2001.

Mel

#93 ·
I carry a PM40. I've put 6-700 rounds through it, one FTE in the 300's. That's been the only problem. It's a great size, has smooth trigger, and accurate enough for my carry needs. I would recommend one. Hold it tight, use the slide release, follow the instructions installing the slide stop pin.

Regards,
Josh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.