Calling all Kahr shooters

This is a discussion on Calling all Kahr shooters within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a CW9. No problems....

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling all Kahr shooters

VIP Member
    I have a CW9. No problems.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

2. Remove Ads

Denver PD carries them as back up. That is good enough for me.
    I ordered a CW40 today as winter coat gun / vest gun.
    Semper Fi

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I I think Kahr gets it's bad rap from either;

A) inexperienced shooters.

B) people who don't like to follow instructions.

C) people who have an axe to grind with the Moons.
    Could not agree more!

Kahrs are fine handguns and my 2 have not only been flawless performers but great handling and fine shooters.

For all those who don't know what a good quality CCW handgun looks like here is a photo of one. Yeah, I am being sarcastic but the Kahr bashing lately is wearing thin on a lot of us. Its getting worse than the dreaded Hi Point threads.

Last edited by pirate; December 19th, 2009 at 01:47 AM.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Enjoy my CW9

I've owned a CW9 for almost a year. Put 1000 rounds through it now and never a hickup. Even the break in period went without fail. I carry this primarily now as the Para-Ord Hawg9 prints a lot more since I've put on my winter weight... =p
    Dave
    Springfield XD .40 Service
    Para Ord Hawg 9
    Kahr CW9
    S&W 22A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joBMq...eature=related

I've had my CW9 for a few years. Never a problem. Been very reliable with hollow points and FMJ. I have no issues with it at all and rely on it for defense regularly.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter200 View Post
    Just shot my new PM9 Wednesday and Thursday. 4 failures in the first 110 rounds. Slide stayed open after I shot. Next 290 rounds perfect. Next 25 rounds with 124 +P Remington Golden Sabres carry ammo, one shot slide stayed open. Not to happy. I am going to shoot another 150 FMJ and 25 more of my carry I guess and see what happens. The Kahr rep is involved. He told me to try a different carry ammo. I really don't want to because I shoot it out of all my 9's and like it.
    I don't know if you shot the golden sabers when the PM9 was clean or dirty, but before I wrote it off as a carry load, I'd try it at the beginning of your range session with a clean gun. Kahr's seem to like to be run fairly wet, that could be the difference...

I've got a CW9 and it's been very reliable... It and my G26 are my main carry guns...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    My daily carry is a P9. Bought it used, never had any problems that weren't operator errors (read the manual, follow its directions). It is as (or maybe more) reliable as my BHP or Sigs.

I have a PM9 and a P45. The PM9 has been flawless, after a few jams during the break-in. Zero problems in the last 1,000 rounds.

The P45 went back to the factory after numerous jamming problems through about 600 rounds. After coming back from the factory it has been almost flawless through the last 1500 rounds. The only problems it had was with some mild handloads that occasionally failed fully cycle. I won't blame that on the gun, as full power loads and +P loads have functioned perfectly, and I would not use mild handloads for carry anyway.

I would buy, and probably will buy another PM9 without hesitation. (Well, when it fits the budget anyway) My wife liked my PM9 so much that it is now her primary carry. I really like the size and weight of the PM9 for easy concealment in almost any clothing. The size and weight make it perfect for a BUG too, on the rare occasions that I carry one.
    How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy & productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised and taken care of.
    Suzanna Hupp

I have a K9, and it works flawlessly, and it's accurate too. I really enjoy everything about it.

That said, a friend of mine had a Kahr (can't remember the model, just that it had a polymer frame) that had a bad problem. It had trouble feeding, seemed to have problems now and then closing all the way into battery. He sent it back to Kahr, and when it came back he took it to the range to try out. I was there.

He fired most of a magazine, then it hung up. He ejected the shell and fed a new one in. Fired it. Then when he pulled the trigger again, it fired and the ejected shell came whizzing back and struck the fence in back with a loud SMACK!

Investigation showed the gun could go off when it was out of battery by about a quarter of an inch. He sent the gun back to Kahr through the dealer, and didn't want it back. The dealer gave him a deal on another (non-Kahr) gun.

If you have a Kahr that works correctly, it's a great gun. If you have one like he did, it's an accident waiting to happen.
    "None who have always been free can understand
    the terrible fascinating power of the hope of freedom
    to those who are not free."

YouTube - Kahr PM9 Review 2 - Racking Problem Solution! ProMag Magazine Does The Trick!

we have a kahr pm9, its a very nice gun and we will not get rid of it, but what this you tube video shows is true. full back-up mags lose a few rounds in your pocket.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by big gary View Post
    YouTube - Kahr PM9 Review 2 - Racking Problem Solution! ProMag Magazine Does The Trick!

we have a kahr pm9, its a very nice gun and we will not get rid of it, but what this you tube video shows is true. full back-up mags lose a few rounds in your pocket.

I don't think I have ever heard the words reliable and ProMag in the same sentence. They are usually considered cheap low end mags and any I have ever tried where basically worthless. Now if Mecgar made Kahr mags that would be different. My PM9 does not have the problem chambering rounds by racking the slide this guy describes with the OEM mags so for me its a none issue.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    I don't think I have ever heard the words reliable and ProMag in the same sentence. They are usually considered low end junk mags and any I have ever tried where basically worthless. Now if Mecgar made Kahr mags that would be different. My PM9 does not have the problem chambering rounds by racking the slide this guy describes with the OEM mags so for me its a none issue.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

it is an issue with my pm9, and 2 or 3 rounds fall out of the extra mag i carry in my pocket for the same reason he is talking about. thats great you have had good luck with yours, i also have 5 of the 5- 229 clips for my sig from Mecgar that are total junk, go figure that one out.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I think this is an excellent article from American Rifleman, looking at the .45 Kahr pistols: Article

Excerpt:

"This pistol [PM45] crowds the performance envelope very hard, and the others do the same thing to a lesser degree. I am not attempting to warn any prospective buyer away from a Kahr, but
    I would hope everyone understands that there are difficulties associated with using it
    ."
    Also an excerpt:

These .45 pistols are what
    Kahr Arms fans wanted, and the
    company has produced them. I
    consider them to be very valuable
    additions to the concealed-carry
    handgun scene.
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    Recently, I read a disturbing account of how a guy went to unload his CW9, and as he dropped the mag then racked the slide, a round went off!
    General consensus is that account is BS and either entirely fictional or was actually a ND.
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorflyr View Post
    Also an excerpt:

These .45 pistols are what
    Kahr Arms fans wanted, and the
    company has produced them. I
    consider them to be very valuable
    additions to the concealed-carry
    handgun scene.
    True enough, that is the author's final statement. What struck me about this article, back when I first read it, was that it is the closest thing to a "bad" review I have ever seen in American Rifleman. Most of their articles are "puff" pieces that talk about how great a gun is. They almost never say anything bad about a gun. That's why the article stuck out to me.

All I'll ask is that folks who own Kahrs and who have had no issues with them, to please not personally attack those who have. Not all issues are caused by user error, and just because someone relates their experiences, does not mean you should take it as a personal insult on yourself or your favorite brand. "Bashing" goes both ways.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links