Defensive Carry banner

Calling all Kahr shooters

17K views 153 replies 108 participants last post by  amready 
#1 ·
I am considering purchasing either a Kahr PM9 or a CW45. Lately, however, I have been hearing some bad stuff about Kahr's specifically as it relates to reliability issues. Are these just isolated examples? I realize that people only post things online when they have problems with a product, but I really don't want to purchase a firearm just to have to send it back to the factory 2 or 3 times. Any input from you Kahr shooters would be greatly appreciated.

#94 ·
Lately, however, I have been hearing some bad stuff about Kahr's specifically as it relates to reliability issues. Are these just isolated examples?
Yes, the examples are about individuals. But by "isolated" you're asking if there are only a few of them. Who's to say? We all only read about the published examples. And then, the anonymity of the internet can breed exaggeration. My guess is that it's not any worse than many of the better firearms brands out there, and it seems that the steel-framed Kahrs tend to have fewer examples of such published problems than the polymer ones.

The only real writing about Kahrs I have done is in regards to a PM9 I had. It wasn't that reliable, until after it went back to Kahr for some tuning. After that it was fine, but I sold it due to lack of confidence in the gun. Though, the size/balance format of the PM9 can't be beat, IMO. I'll have another at some point. I currently have a P380 that I'm wringing out, to see how it goes. It's working well so far.

I also have a CW9 that is doing great. Haven't found the perfect ammo for it, yet, the one that's perfectly reliable. Am still searching.

Kahrs need to be clean and well-oiled, in my experience. With the right ammo, many people report them to be utterly reliable.

If you get a good one, you should be fine. Will you get a good one, though? Who's to say. But then that can be said of most any firearm.

#97 ·
I agree with this post and might add that the steel framed Kahrs may run better as a result of just that, the additional weight factor. I'm sure some of the failure to feed and eject malfunctions could be attributed to the limp wristing of the lighter P and CW series, not all mind you but surly some anyways.

My CW9 runs solid as a rock with the 124gr +p Gold Dots and shows no worse for use after a minimum of at least a 1000 rounds of practice ammo. Good pistol in my opinion. :hand10:

#96 ·
I would love to have a Kahr, but only had enough for the PF-9 which is half the price....but i might still get one later on if i get into some money. will not trade the Keltec though love it.

#98 ·
I would love to have a Kahr, but only had enough for the PF-9 which is half the price....but i might still get one later on if i get into some money. will not trade the Keltec though love it.
Wait til you get to shoot a Kahr. I've had them side by side and the trigger on the Kahr wins hands down.

#99 ·
I know this is a late post but...

I have a PM9 that was very unreliable until some repairs by Kahr. Now it is almost totally reliable. About 98-99%. I get about 1 FTF or FTE per 100 rounds. It's frustrating, because it's tantalizingly close to being good enough for carry, but not quite.

I take issue with folks who talk about "operator error" and the like. If that were the case, why would my failure rate decrease from 25% to 1-2% after repairs? My technique did not change. I also have had no problems with other small semiautos.

In addition the use of the slide-lock to load the first round can be overcome, but I do not think that it should be a suggestion or design from the manufacturer. After all, how do you do a "tap-rack-bang" to clear a malfunction if you're not supposed to "rack?"

#101 ·
Sounds like you either need to get them to make it right or sell to someone who will. I'm up to 5 different Kahr models and I've only had one that was a little sour. That was the P45. It had to go back to Kahr twice. Since getting back the second time I've put 250rnds through it and it's running great. I'll still put an additional 250rnds through it before deciding to put it in my carry line-up.

#100 ·
Had a P9 phenominal gun, my best friend has a PM9 that he pocket carries, also an amazing gun and really not a major difference in accuracy (within and ad not exceeding 10-12yds) between the two either

I'd like to get another P9 at some point. Had to trade mine towards a better duty gun, with compatible mags as my bug (Glock 23 and 27)

#103 ·
Altho I am a die hard glock fan for CCW and IDPA. I carried a G19, for 20 years and purchased a G17 when they first came into the USA. I recently switched to a G23 in 2007.

I found a used Kahr MK9 in a local gun shop. Everytime I would go in there I would handle (play) with it and then put it back. I went on Christmas vacation and when I got back it was still there. :-(

It now resides in a homemade OWB holster and is becoming my EDC. I have put over 600 rds through it since January 4, 2010. Nary a hiccup.

I think is is an older model, according to the Kahr sight. No dimple on the underside of the slide.

It is slimmer then My G23 which to me makes a difference.

#107 ·
I carry a PM-40, never a glitch. My wife carries a P380, never a glitch when I fire it. My wife had all kinds of issues. Thought it was grip related, but determined she was inadvertently pressing the magazine release and the magazine would drop enough to cause failure to feed. It didn't drop enough to be noticeable. Love the Kahr!

#113 ·
- Every gun manufacturer has lemons from time to time. You can find threads of this type for virtually every make and model.

#114 ·
:rolleyes:

Ohioan,
You might want to stop reading forums then, as you will find EVERY gun from EVERY maker has had problems at one time or another (or for one owner or another), as every maker put's out the occasional lemon.

One thing to keep in mind is those that have had problems with something tend to be more vocal about it then those who've had no issues.

#120 ·
I picked up a Elite 98 MK40 stainless with night sights for 450.00 used. The gun shoots flawless. One bad thing is RECOIL RECOIL RECOIL..Mann it hurts.
If you lock your wrists, no problem, but limp wrists make for FTFs. I currently use Winchester 180 gr subsonic in the gun and it hasn't let me down.
BTW, I was always very leary about buying a Kahr, 1, due to the high price, and 2, all the bad things I've heard about the little guns.
Most of the senior members, who know me, since the forum started, will tell ya I've never owned a Kahr until a year ago, and I stil have it today. I take it with me on occasion, ( I have a large amount of guns I"ll carry to choose from) and I'd trust my life on this little Kahr in a heartbeat.

#121 ·
The Kahr is a high tolerance gun. Meaning it is milled to very close fit. A loose fit helps make a gun more reliable such as the AK-47. I have a CW9 and I had a minor problem with the Slide Lock spring, replaced it and trouble free. Honestly, I would pick the Glock 36 over the P-45. Unless you can afford a Rohrbaugh, nothing is in the class of the PM9.

#122 ·
I'd disagree with you rebel. Rohrbaugh makes a fine gun, but they really don't offer anything that Kahr doesn't have at a smaller price (though Kahrs aren't cheap either). I own a K9 and a MK9, carry the MK9 daily (in the winter I carry it as a BUG) and gotta say I'll take it over a R9 any day. It's heavier, by a large margin but then again you expect that with a steel frame. It also helps dampen the recoil significantly.

#124 ·
if it hasnt been said use grease on the slide it helps

#128 ·
Soooooo That's what the sticky stuff on my gun was when I bought it:rofl: <just kidding>
When I first got the gun, I thought the previous owner may not have known how to maintain the gun, but I guess I was wrong. :image035: I stripped the gun down, cleaned it up, and spread a little more "sticky stuff' on the rails.:yup: Works like a charm :hand10:

#125 ·
Here is my Kahr story having to do with my P45 and Kahr's Customer service.

My post is not about the PM9 but about Kahr's Customer service.

I took my Kahr P45 to the range for the first time hoping to have a good range session, it did not happen. On my 49th rd, something smacked me in the forehead. After clearing the gun I looked around on the ground and found a spring and pin. After looking at the book I got with the gun, I found it to be the extractor pin and spring, could not find the extractor.

I contacted Kahr on Monday and they told be to send it back and they would cover it. Sent in in on Wed. and I got it back on the following Mon. They replaced the whole slide, keeping my barrel, upgraded the mag release and installed a new set of night sights, I sent mine in with standard sites.

Since I got it back I have put 600 more rds thur it with NO problems, it is a very nice and Accurate shooting gun.

I have to say that their Customer service was EXCELLENT in my case, and I would not hesitate to purchase another one.

I am now thinking about swapping out my EDC, which is a Taurus PT-145 with the Kahr P45.

#126 ·
I have a PM9 that I have had for about 7 years....love it and trust it, and for me, it shoots as well as any of my others. Remember to take what you read on the net with a grain of salt....sure there are other slim pistols...like my PPS....but the PM series is in a class by itself for size....pocket carry rocks with it....and no other gun that is readily available will fit like the PM...unless you drop to a 380.

#129 ·
"Grease on the rails", huh?

OK, better to show ignorance than continue in it:

If I get a CW9, I am inclined to use Gunzilla (my choice of gun cleaning elixirs) to clean it thoroughly. Once I've done that, a certain amount of lubrication is provided by Gunzilla itself. What more should I add, and to which parts?

I would appreciate actual brand recommendations, too: when one says, "Grease the rails" I would be inclined to use automotive wheel-bearing grease. I'm not sure that's what is meant.

#130 ·
I also am not sure what they mean by grease. Like you, I think auto wheel bearing grease. I have a CW9 and I did like you, I use gunzilla to clean it, then I just put a small drop of Hoppes oil on each rail on the frame and on the rail grooves in the slide. I put a drop on the barrel and wipe lightly with a cloth.

#135 ·
moly slide paste i used on the rails

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.