Calling all Kahr shooters - Page 4

Calling all Kahr shooters

This is a discussion on Calling all Kahr shooters within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 10thmtn. IMO, the polymer Kahrs are not a good choice for anyone new to auto loaders period. If you're wanting a small reliable auto go ...

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling all Kahr shooters

10thmtn.

IMO, the polymer Kahrs are not a good choice for anyone new to auto loaders period. If you're wanting a small reliable auto go with one of the mini Glocks G26 or G27. They're a little chunky in the grip, but the reliability and performance is hard to beat!

I like my CW9 big time, but If I was new to autoloaders when I first got it and the round would nose dive when I tried to manually rack the slide, I'd be at a loss too. If this is a mag problem or a break-in problem, for someone new to pistols it could be a trying time to find the confidence needed for the CC of the pistol in question. YMMV

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    10thmtn.

IMO, the polymer Kahrs are not a good choice for anyone new to auto loaders period. If you're wanting a small reliable auto go with one of the mini Glocks G26 or G27. They're a little chunky in the grip, but the reliability and performance is hard to beat!

I like my CW9 big time, but If I was new to autoloaders when I first got it and the round would nose dive when I tried to manually rack the slide, I'd be at a loss too. If this is a mag problem or a break-in problem, for someone new to pistols it could be a trying time to find the confidence needed for the CC of the pistol in question. YMMV

GBK
    I agree with above quote. I have a CW9 with 350+ rounds thru it, nary a hiccup. I am going to run some Speer Gold Dot thru it, and then it will be one of my carry's, along with a G26.

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    I don't know if you shot the golden sabers when the PM9 was clean or dirty, but before I wrote it off as a carry load, I'd try it at the beginning of your range session with a clean gun. Kahr's seem to like to be run fairly wet, that could be the difference...

I've got a CW9 and it's been very reliable... It and my G26 are my main carry guns...
    It was at the end.

I've run my CW40 through its break-in 200+ rounds (Winchester WB) with no problems. A couple of failuers to fully lock on some hollow point ammo, but I think that may work itself out with more range time, and I'm comfortable shooting a 40 FMJ as a defense round anyway. No complaints about the firearm, and I think for the price it's a good deal (provided yours works like mine). For concealment they'e hard to beat. My only complaint is a personal thing, I guess I just don't like a "plastic" pistol. I won't sell off the Kahr, but if I had a chance to trade up to an all-metal Kahr 40 I'd probably do it. My EDC is still my Commander unless dress options just won't conceal it.

I purchase a CW9 to replace my 357 back up gun and though I was please with it's accuracy I was not please with it dropping the magazine with 1 - 2 rounds left in it. No my thumb was not resting on the mag release. In addition it would fail to go into battery about every 15 - 20 rounds. After 2 trips 3 months Kahr's still failing to correct the issue my dealer gave me a credit toward a Walther PPS. I know there are those who have good luck with the Kahrs and I'm happy for them but I personally can not recommend the gun or the customer service. Sorry but you asked. You might want to check some of the Kahr forums.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by big gary View Post
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

i also have 5 of the 5- 229 clips for my sig from Mecgar that are total junk, go figure that one out.
    Not meaning to nitpick but pistols don't use clips they use magazines. A clip is generally used to load rounds into a fixed magazine...like the Garand en-bloc clips or stripper clips for other bolt action military rifles. Mecgar makes the OEM mags for many of the top pistol makers in the world and is generally considered the top magazine maker in the world. Very unusual that they don't work for you in the SIG.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

P9

I have a P9 covert that I bought new a years ago. It has several thousand rounds through it and it has performed with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by chiboxer View Post
    I am considering purchasing either a Kahr PM9 or a CW45. Lately, however, I have been hearing some bad stuff about Kahr's specifically as it relates to reliability issues. Are these just isolated examples? I realize that people only post things online when they have problems with a product, but I really don't want to purchase a firearm just to have to send it back to the factory 2 or 3 times. Any input from you Kahr shooters would be greatly appreciated.
    I am only experienced with the PM line, but have one of each caliber. All three are excellent carry choices, but the PM9 is the one with me constantly. Great shooter with a really nice trigger and great build quality.

The PM9 is a proven design and you should be really happy with the results. The newer PM45 seems to be having the bugs worked out, but Kahr will take care of you. Mine is still working through a break in period at about 200 rounds.

Bottom line, good pistols good support.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    I have a CW9 and although I only have about 350 rds. through it, performance has been flawless so far. I like the gun a lot, and it fits a role for carry when I just can't carry a full size gun, (which is my first choice), because of dress.

Recently, I read a disturbing account of how a guy went to unload his CW9, and as he dropped the mag then racked the slide, a round went off! Apparently, unlike a Glock, when a Kahr is in the ready position, the striker is fully cocked. This gun, it was determined had brass shavings in the striker channel, and that was the only thing holding back the striker because the trigger block, or (something like that I'm really not sure), was also broken.
    Luckily for him, he only killed some drywall!
    If you read the full thread, you will see many people called BS on the OP. The circumstances described by the OP (e.g., the gun firing with the slide pulled partway back) would have resulted in other issues and probably damage to the pistol. Without pictures, this is just another example of unsubstantiated Kahr bashing!!
    Last edited by alnitak; December 21st, 2009 at 02:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by big gary View Post
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

it is an issue with my pm9, and 2 or 3 rounds fall out of the extra mag i carry in my pocket for the same reason he is talking about.
    Carry it in a pocket mag holder and that doesn't occur!

pm9 for a couple years now...never a problem.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Frogbones View Post
    My PM45 is awesome. Would buy again!!
    I couldn't agree more!!! Now I do have some observations...

I have no prejudice about guns so whether it's Glock, Sig, Kahr, SA, or Taurus (etc)....if the gun is reliable, then I'm cool with it.

I have the PM9, PM40, and the PM45. BY FAR, my PM45 is replacing my G30sf. At 5'6", 213lbs...the 30 is just too bulky. I have a love afair with this PM45. Now let me qualify that. The PM40 was my 1st introduction into Kahr's. I've shot countless 165/180 T-Series through it along with Shoks, Sabres, and Corbon. Not 1 issue. HOWEVER, that particular gun required some smithing on the tip of the slide release as it would prohibit a clean feed due to the length on some of the range FMJ bs due to bullet shaping. If memory serves the Feds were cool, but it was the Fiochi's and one other brand that gave it fits. But again, carrying any of the above premium I got not 1 FTF, FTE even in the break in period. Now the 9 and 45 have been like butter. Been shooting 124 gr Ranger +P+ through it (125 rd's to date) and not one issue other than the darn bullet itself is hot and kicks like a brick. Same with the 40. I think that is why the 45 was no big deal. Bigger gun, better grip. The 9 and 40 left my pinky swinging and the 45 was basically like a relief. Don't get me wrong, you can still be surgical with either...you will probably be more comfortable with the 45. I shoot whatever bs they have at the range in whatever weight they have it in for the 9 and 45 and same result...flawless.

I cannot speak to the other series as I wasn't the least interested in them but I have 100% confidence in all three of my PM Series pistols. If I'm carrying sub comp Glocks (full size pistols in my world) then the 30sf (or even my 26) are what I reach for 1st.

One thing folks need to really note is that with the reduced size and capacity, the Kahr's are what I call "application pistols". If I'm 6'3" I'm not giving Kahr a 2nd thought...I go Walther PPS as my CCW or as my EDC I go with one of the Glocks. But again in my "application" the Kahr's are excellent for my EDC purpose.

KCGator
    Glock 23, 26, 27, 30, & 36
    Kahr PM9, PM40, & PM45
    Springfield Armory XD9SC & XD40SC
    Taurus 85GRY2UL
    Beretta PX4 Storm SC 9mm
    Keltec P3AT & NAA 22LLR

I hope my post did not offend anyone. I just didn’t like the service or the failure to feed issue. It seems that a lot of people have not encountered the problems I did. If I had not had the problems I would have kept it.

After reading the posts I will most likely purchase another. Although , I hope the Customer service gets better.

I own a Kahr CW40. Great little pistol. Works well. The only problems I have had with it in FTF FTE matters were caused by me. A little good instructor feedback helped me diagnose my problem and correct it.

I have had a problem with one factory magazine; the little metal tab that pushes up the slide stop for hold-open, worked its way out just enough that it wouldn't accept more than one round in the magazine. A little judicious application of brute force got the tab seated correctly and all is well with that magazine ever since.

I also purchased one of the extended capacity magazines and that gives better grip capability so my pinkie doesn't dangle.

I don't carry it much these days, but it gets regular range workouts. The light weight does give it a "snappier than pleaseant" recoil. It certainly is NOT a beginner's gun.

Have a CW9 and bought it because of its slim profile and its value. It's turned out to be a great, reliable gun and I'm happy with it. I've put about 1000 rounds of everything from hardball to hollow point and all have fired without a glitch. The only thing I had to learn with this particular firearm is that the first cartridge in the mag likes to be stripped into the chamber from a locked back slide (by using the slide release button).

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links