Calling all Kahr shooters

This is a discussion on Calling all Kahr shooters within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by obiwankabaldi I have had my Kahr PM9 for almost 2 years and put about 1000 rnds thru it. When I first got ...

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Calling all Kahr shooters

Quote Originally Posted by obiwankabaldi View Post
    I have had my Kahr PM9 for almost 2 years and put about 1000 rnds thru it. When I first got it I had trouble slingshot loading the first round from a full magazine. I was really upset. However after reading many posts and practicing I realized that if I learned to aggressively slingshot the slide then all was well. By aggressively I mean pulling the slide back with my left hand while pushing forward with the right and releasing the slide with no hesitation or attempt to ride it back.
    Bingo! I found the same thing after taking Mas Ayoob's LFI-1 class last year and seeing a demonstration of the proper slingshot method as described above. The guy in the video cited in earlier posts (the one who likes to carry an empty PM9 and only 5 rounds in the 7 round mag) was holding onto the slide and riding it all the way back. I'm sure he is correct about the stacking problems with the Kahr factory mags, but I've been able to rack the slide and feed the top round every time with a proper aggressive slingshot motion.

I also had the problem he described with finding loose rounds in my pockets (even heard the embarrassing click when the round popped out - thankfully nobody else noticed!). As Alnitak mentioned in post #55, carrying the mags in a pocket mag holder fixes that problem. I bought one from JSHolsters.com that does the job.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

2. Remove Ads

I carry a PM-40, never a glitch. My wife carries a P380, never a glitch when I fire it. My wife had all kinds of issues. Thought it was grip related, but determined she was inadvertently pressing the magazine release and the magazine would drop enough to cause failure to feed. It didn't drop enough to be noticeable. Love the Kahr!

Quote Originally Posted by hogpilot View Post
    I carry a PM-40, never a glitch. My wife carries a P380, never a glitch when I fire it. My wife had all kinds of issues. Thought it was grip related, but determined she was inadvertently pressing the magazine release and the magazine would drop enough to cause failure to feed. It didn't drop enough to be noticeable. Love the Kahr!
    No problems either with my PM40. Almost 1000 rounds and no problems. Rides with me every day. I do a lot of work in medical facilities and always carry all day every day. Cant be caught carrying, ever. Highly concealable firearm!

I have an early production K9 that had been my EDC gun for many years. Never had a problem with its function and is very accurate IMO.
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli" Clemenza

I had a P9 I wish I had never sold. Got a PM45 on 12/31/09. It didn't like Speer 230 gr plus P(would not go fully into battery). Everything else fed and shot like a dream. It is my main daily carry when off duty.

wpk
    Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    A early CW9 that had a light strike problem that I couldn't fix. I suspect a short striker.

I started getting some light strikes after about 1,000 rounds through my CW9. I replaced the spring and the old one was noticeably shorter than the new one. It has been flawless with the new spring.
    "America is a nation of laws; poorly written and randomly enforced." -Frank Zappa

“Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.” -Denis Diderot

After this thread I don't think Kahr is for me, which leaves more for you guys I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOhioan View Post
    After this thread I don't think Kahr is for me, which leaves more for you guys I suppose.
    - Every gun manufacturer has lemons from time to time. You can find threads of this type for virtually every make and model.

Ohioan,
    You might want to stop reading forums then, as you will find EVERY gun from EVERY maker has had problems at one time or another (or for one owner or another), as every maker put's out the occasional lemon.

One thing to keep in mind is those that have had problems with something tend to be more vocal about it then those who've had no issues.
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorflyr View Post

Ohioan,
    You might want to stop reading forums then, as you will find EVERY gun from EVERY maker has had problems at one time or another (or for one owner or another), as every maker put's out the occasional lemon.

One thing to keep in mind is those that have had problems with something tend to be more vocal about it then those who've had no issues.
    Oh I realize this, and I am not saying anything against Kahr's or the people who own them, simply that some of the problems people have had with them make me weary.

Oh I realize this, and I am not saying anything against Kahr's or the people who own them, simply that some of the problems people have had with them make me weary.
    Understandable. My personal experience is that all 3 of my Kahr's (MK9, PM9, P380) have been flawless out of the box. My original EDC was a Glock 27. It is absolutely rock solid. If the Kahr wasn't the same, I never would have switched.

I also clean my guns extensively before their first range trip and rack the slide about 100 times before ever shooting them. I also load all of my guns with a slide release. :)

I know this thread is getting old but I'll add my 2cents. My CW9 has over 3000 rounds now and since the break in period (300 rounds for me) I have had zero problems. The guns is extreamly accurate and I recently added the Crimson Trace laser. Now I like it even more!!

Some healthy skepticism is good.

It keeps used prices reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    Like Sixto, I own some, and the others on my security team own some. None of us have ever had an issue that wasn't related to technique.
    I bought one of Matiki's CW9's, and I love it.

I also own a Kahr MK9 Elite 2003, which has been perfectly reliable and comfy to shoot. When I conceal, it's usually what I have.

I picked up a Elite 98 MK40 stainless with night sights for 450.00 used. The gun shoots flawless. One bad thing is RECOIL RECOIL RECOIL..Mann it hurts.
    If you lock your wrists, no problem, but limp wrists make for FTFs. I currently use Winchester 180 gr subsonic in the gun and it hasn't let me down.
    BTW, I was always very leary about buying a Kahr, 1, due to the high price, and 2, all the bad things I've heard about the little guns.
    Most of the senior members, who know me, since the forum started, will tell ya I've never owned a Kahr until a year ago, and I stil have it today. I take it with me on occasion, ( I have a large amount of guns I"ll carry to choose from) and I'd trust my life on this little Kahr in a heartbeat.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Links