Defensive Carry banner

Calling all Kahr shooters

17K views 153 replies 108 participants last post by  amready 
#1 ·
I am considering purchasing either a Kahr PM9 or a CW45. Lately, however, I have been hearing some bad stuff about Kahr's specifically as it relates to reliability issues. Are these just isolated examples? I realize that people only post things online when they have problems with a product, but I really don't want to purchase a firearm just to have to send it back to the factory 2 or 3 times. Any input from you Kahr shooters would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
I'm interested too Chiboxer as i've already got one tucked aside on layaway. I think the positive reviews far outweigh the negative ones and think it will be a fine weapon. I always clean, lightly debur, and lube up my new guns before i shoot them anyway, i dont quite trust manufacturing inspections entirely. Hope some people chime in with Kahr's.

#3 · (Edited)
I love my PM9. I have confidence in it.

I shoot it each trip to the range. Several times I have fired 100 rounds of WWB a session, blasting it with some RemOil after about 50.

I did experience barrel peening within the first 200 rds. The pistol went back to Kahr and they made the repairs. That said, I have had no problems since.

#4 ·
I have one of the original PM9's shipped. It has been flawless. About 12 or so of our officers have also bought PM9's since shooting mine. None have had an problem that wasn't knuckle head induced. The worst problem when a "gun guy" on our department decided to take his apart. The problem came when he went to put it back together. :rolleyes:

I think Kahr gets it's bad rap from either;

A) inexperienced shooters.

B) people who don't like to follow instructions.

C) people who have an axe to grind with the Moons.

#33 · (Edited)
I I think Kahr gets it's bad rap from either;

A) inexperienced shooters.

B) people who don't like to follow instructions.

C) people who have an axe to grind with the Moons.
Could not agree more!

Kahrs are fine handguns and my 2 have not only been flawless performers but great handling and fine shooters.

For all those who don't know what a good quality CCW handgun looks like here is a photo of one. Yeah, I am being sarcastic but the Kahr bashing lately is wearing thin on a lot of us. Its getting worse than the dreaded Hi Point threads.

#9 ·
My PM9 was purchased about four years ago and is my EDC. It has had about 1200 rounds, both FMJ and hollow points through it. Make sure you don't limp wrist it and it should be fine. I like mine.
Keech

#11 · (Edited)
I have an MK40 and the range where I work rents a T9 and an MK9. The wood grip on the T9 broke when somebody dropped it, but otherwise I can't remember a problem with the rentals and mine has been 100%. I admit that I quit carrying the 40 as much as I used to after I broke my strong hand. It kicked too much to be comfortable when I was healing and it's kind of out of my CCW rotation now that I'm healed since I'm out of practice with it. No fault of the gun or it's reliability, though.

#12 ·
I've got a CW40, pretty much the exact same as the CW45 but a different caliber. I've had zero issues with the gun that weren't my fault. When I first got it, I took it down to clean it. Putting it back together, I bent the slide stop pin accidentally without knowing it. When I took it out to shoot, I had a rough time because the slide would stay open after each shot. I figured out the mistake and contacted Kahr because I thought I ruined the spring. The old spring worked and about 3 days after my call, I had a new one in the mail!

I would never hesitate to buy another Kahr personally.

#13 · (Edited)
I've owned six Kahrs. Not all were problem free.

2 K9s were flawless in performance. One early model and now a new 2009 model.:congrats:

A T9 that I've never given me a problem .:danceban:

A early CW9 that had a light strike problem that I couldn't fix. :hand1: I suspect a short striker.

A P45 that had some feed and eject problems, otherwise I loved it. :spankme:

A new TP9 that has been perfect and very enjoyable.:hand10:

IMHO the Kahr line is suseptable to problems because some of the functions have little performance leeway. A faulty or slightly out of spec component has negative effects that maybe some other more conventionally made guns can absorb.

A Kahr that works is a very valuable tool in the CCW toolbag. IMO it's worth the effort and price to find one.

#111 ·
A early CW9 that had a light strike problem that I couldn't fix. :hand1: I suspect a short striker.

I started getting some light strikes after about 1,000 rounds through my CW9. I replaced the spring and the old one was noticeably shorter than the new one. It has been flawless with the new spring.

#57 ·
I couldn't agree more!!! Now I do have some observations...

I have no prejudice about guns so whether it's Glock, Sig, Kahr, SA, or Taurus (etc)....if the gun is reliable, then I'm cool with it.

I have the PM9, PM40, and the PM45. BY FAR, my PM45 is replacing my G30sf. At 5'6", 213lbs...the 30 is just too bulky. I have a love afair with this PM45. Now let me qualify that. The PM40 was my 1st introduction into Kahr's. I've shot countless 165/180 T-Series through it along with Shoks, Sabres, and Corbon. Not 1 issue. HOWEVER, that particular gun required some smithing on the tip of the slide release as it would prohibit a clean feed due to the length on some of the range FMJ bs due to bullet shaping. If memory serves the Feds were cool, but it was the Fiochi's and one other brand that gave it fits. But again, carrying any of the above premium I got not 1 FTF, FTE even in the break in period. Now the 9 and 45 have been like butter. Been shooting 124 gr Ranger +P+ through it (125 rd's to date) and not one issue other than the darn bullet itself is hot and kicks like a brick. Same with the 40. I think that is why the 45 was no big deal. Bigger gun, better grip. The 9 and 40 left my pinky swinging and the 45 was basically like a relief. Don't get me wrong, you can still be surgical with either...you will probably be more comfortable with the 45. I shoot whatever bs they have at the range in whatever weight they have it in for the 9 and 45 and same result...flawless.

I cannot speak to the other series as I wasn't the least interested in them but I have 100% confidence in all three of my PM Series pistols. If I'm carrying sub comp Glocks (full size pistols in my world) then the 30sf (or even my 26) are what I reach for 1st.

One thing folks need to really note is that with the reduced size and capacity, the Kahr's are what I call "application pistols". If I'm 6'3" I'm not giving Kahr a 2nd thought...I go Walther PPS as my CCW or as my EDC I go with one of the Glocks. But again in my "application" the Kahr's are excellent for my EDC purpose.

KCGator

#19 ·
I have had a Kahr pm 40. The manufacture said,” It had to have a break in period”, but never got it to work right. They would not back the gun even though it was purchased new; I had to pay to have them fix it and shipping. I received it back and about every 20 rounds it would jam. I sold it. I’ve only sold two guns in my life, a sigma 40 and a Kahr 40 both no good.

#20 ·
I bought a CW9 two years ago. In the first year I had to send it in to Kahr three or four times for service. the first time was when part of the metal slide rail broke off at the front. The second time was when part of the trigger group (a spring?) broke. The third time was when the trigger linkage needed adjustment to get the gun to fire. The last (fourth?) time was when, after about 2,500 live rounds and about 3,000 dry fire clicks the striker broke and a crack appeared in a joint in one of the magazines. Kahr fixed all these problems under warranty.

At present, the gun's shot about 3,000 live rounds and experienced about 9,000 dry fire clicks over it's lifetime, the action is very smooth, it's reliable, I trust it, and I'm very happy with it.

#21 ·
My PM9 has been flawless with more than 1500 rounds through it in the last 2 years. Certainly, there have been some issues with a few guns. In those cases, I think it's worth the effort to have Kahr make it right. However, don't believe all the bashing you see out there. Not only on this board, but others like GlockTalk, Kahr gets falsely bashed with made up issues (a couple current threads out there now) ... by owners of other brands (often Glock) that are trying to promte their pistol as the "best".

The Kahr is a great carry pistol. I wouldn't hesitate.

#24 ·
I have a CW9 and have a little over 700 rounds down range with it. It has been a good performer for me, but I have since retired mine to the safe and a home defense roll with a sometimes CC role. Not so much because of negative reviews by others, but because I found a revised love for the Glock line. Would I carry my CW9 into battle, Yes. Would I choose it over any of my Glocks, NO. YMMV

GBK

#25 ·
I have a CW9 and although I only have about 350 rds. through it, performance has been flawless so far. I like the gun a lot, and it fits a role for carry when I just can't carry a full size gun, (which is my first choice), because of dress.

Recently, I read a disturbing account of how a guy went to unload his CW9, and as he dropped the mag then racked the slide, a round went off! Apparently, unlike a Glock, when a Kahr is in the ready position, the striker is fully cocked. This gun, it was determined had brass shavings in the striker channel, and that was the only thing holding back the striker because the trigger block, or (something like that I'm really not sure), was also broken.
Luckily for him, he only killed some drywall!

#29 ·
Recently, I read a disturbing account of how a guy went to unload his CW9, and as he dropped the mag then racked the slide, a round went off! Apparently, unlike a Glock, when a Kahr is in the ready position, the striker is fully cocked. This gun, it was determined had brass shavings in the striker channel, and that was the only thing holding back the striker because the trigger block, or (something like that I'm really not sure), was also broken.
Luckily for him, he only killed some drywall!
Well, I think the guy who wrote the account was disturbed. If it's the thread I'm thinking about, no determination was made. My determination is that it was a figment of someone's imagination and the incident was a plain, old ND.

The striker is only partially cocked. Pulling the trigger finishes cocking the striker and by the time the striker is ready to be released, the other lobe has depressed the firing pin safety. Even if a dump truck load of brass shavings were in the striker channel and held the cocked striker back when the trigger was released, you would have to have a firing pin safety malfunction as well to make the alleged scenario play out. One thing not pointed out is that, if the f.p, channel is so full of crud that it hold the striker back after the trigger released it, how is it going to make the trip fast enough to set off a primer?

#26 ·
Just shot my new PM9 Wednesday and Thursday. 4 failures in the first 110 rounds. Slide stayed open after I shot. Next 290 rounds perfect. Next 25 rounds with 124 +P Remington Golden Sabres carry ammo, one shot slide stayed open. Not to happy. I am going to shoot another 150 FMJ and 25 more of my carry I guess and see what happens. The Kahr rep is involved. He told me to try a different carry ammo. I really don't want to because I shoot it out of all my 9's and like it.

#36 ·
I don't know if you shot the golden sabers when the PM9 was clean or dirty, but before I wrote it off as a carry load, I'd try it at the beginning of your range session with a clean gun. Kahr's seem to like to be run fairly wet, that could be the difference...

I've got a CW9 and it's been very reliable... It and my G26 are my main carry guns...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.