Clipdraw For SP101?

Clipdraw For SP101?

This is a discussion on Clipdraw For SP101? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do any SP101 owners here use the clipdraw belt clip for their guns? I'm looking for experience with clip draw in general as well as ...

Thread: Clipdraw For SP101?

Clipdraw For SP101?

Do any SP101 owners here use the clipdraw belt clip for their guns? I'm looking for experience with clip draw in general as well as with it on the SP101. How is it installed do you need to drill and tap the guns frame at all? And will it fit over thicker gunbelts? I've carried a keltec with a clip on it IWB for a long time and never had any issues,I've al carried my SP101 IWB with no holster for short runs and never had any issue either and it was very comfortable this way. Thanks for any help guys.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

I tried clip draw and did not like it. As far as you not having any issues so far with no holster IWB carry, I hope your luck holds out. If I carry a handgun without a holster, I carry it in my hand. I know several LEOs that will carry IWB no holster when doing drug undercover work. I would not. I try to talk them out of it. I guess they think they have to look the part, I don't know.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I use one.

Strip of metal is attached to frame of gun with thin double-backed tape. Taped metal strip is extremely solid. Mine came with 5 pieces of tape so it can be removed and repositioned or transferred to different guns. It has three holes drilled & tapped in it; uses two of the holes, so there are two different positions (1/4" different carry height). Clipdraw is screwed to that strip with two very small screws. Screws back out a hair on their own and allow the clipdraw to have a small amount of play (not necessarily a bad thing) unless you use blue loctite on them.

Fits a little too tight on my Beltman horsehide - can put it there, but have to use one hand to hold jeans and belt together. One-handed with my fairly-heavy single layer belt.

For me it stays put at appendix carry, and is a very good solution. I have carried it briefly at 4:00; it stays put better at that position when clipped over the pants and under the belt. (That allows it to sag just enough that the cylinder sits below the belt there and that takes care of retention while sitting.) Edit: I wouldn't recommend this position - It can sag and ride too low for a good draw, and if clipped to the belt I fear it will fall out!

I believe that whether it will work for you is, just like with holsters, a crap shoot... but it's cheaper than most holster experiments
    Last edited by DistantHorizon; December 19th, 2009 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Clarification

There are a few pics here if you follow the link:

SP101 Picture Thread - THR

I use them on all my revo's but don't have any pics currently. And yes, there is plenty of room when using a thick gun belt. If it is tight, you can bend it to suit your needs.

Thanks guys the clip draw looks like something to consider at $20 or so i guess it can't hurt to try one.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    First off, a clip draw is not a replacement for a quality holster. Its another carry option that should really only be used for trips to the mail box or around the yard or short trip down to the store for milk or beer, that kind of thing. So for these kind of carry situations it does have a place but don't look at it as a cheap replacement for a good holster.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

i got the clip draw for the s&w j-frame. had it for several years. it uses a screw to hold the clip to the gun. the clip draw is the best thing that i have gotten for the j-frame. it is the only thing i use for the gun except when i put it into a ankle holster. you will hear lots on how the clip draw is unsafe, but to me that is a bunch of bull.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Sponsored Links