pistol refinishing

This is a discussion on pistol refinishing within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As moniker shows, I really like CZs and CZ-style pistols. I picked up a Jericho 941, semi-compact in 9mm last week and hit the range ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pistol refinishing

pistol refinishing

As moniker shows, I really like CZs and CZ-style pistols. I picked up a Jericho 941, semi-compact in 9mm last week and hit the range yesterday. The pistol is awesome in every regard except one, the finish. It scratches very easily hence the Title to this thread. I'm going to need to give it a better finish and was wondering if anyone knew of any good/reputable refinish shops.

I've read of CCR Refinishing from the Sig forum and Robar seems to be pretty good with the NP3. I just came across Birdsong's Black T finish which also sounds good. The pistol is all steel so there should more types of finishes available. Anyone have any experience with these? Any others you might recommend?

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

customized creationz is really great.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cz75luver View Post
    As moniker shows, I really like CZs and CZ-style pistols.
    Thanks.

Your passion for CZ is well founded. They are generally outstanding handguns. I own 7, so I know
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I've heard good things about "duracoat".

DuraCoat Firearm Finishes

I think you can have it done for around $200?
    Kimber Pro Carry II; Night Sights
    S&W 340PD

CCR would be my choice
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Robar's NP3 or Roguard are excellent finishes, but... expensive, at $285 to start. But until the end of the month, they're running a 20% discount special on full-gun refinishing.

NP3 in particular is a very durable abrasion- and corrosion-resistant coating.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Gasmitty is right. If I had the money to refinish any firearm the RIGHT way, it would be with NP3. It lasts a lifetime, and resists wear better than any other I know.

Industrial hard chrome is surpassed only by the nitrided finishes.
    Duracoat is paint. NP3 is electroless nickel with a little Teflon added.

I like the idea of the Teflon in NP3. I haven't heard of Roguard so I'll have to read up on that. Thanks for all the input.

cz75luver, you're lucky that you're in FL.

I've heard good things about Ford's - Ford's Custom Gun Refinishing - Ford's Desert Eagle Sights
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by ev239 View Post
    cz75luver, you're lucky that you're in FL.

I've heard good things about Ford's - Ford's Custom Gun Refinishing - Ford's Desert Eagle Sights
    Ooh, that's actually not all that far from me. I could drive it there and save roughly $100 in shipping. Thanks ev239!

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Yes, I'm close to those guys also. I'd like to get an older Savage 170 rifle refinished. It's not in bad shape but I'm thinking Parkerizing it would toughen it up so I can get many more years out of it. Will just a Parkerized finish be good for an old rifle or should I try another finish? I didn't want to pump too much money into it.

+1 on the Hard Chrome; I do that to all my carry guns, for the cost it is the best finish you can put on a gun. Back in 1993, Virgil Tripp hard chromed my .38 super open gun and I proceeded to put more than 150,000 rounds through that gun over the next 10 years. The only thing I replaced on that gun besides springs was an extractor and a Compensator, which I shot out around 110,000 rounds. The gun still locked up like a bank vault when I sold it to an entry-level shooter in 2003 when I left USPSA for good.

I say hard chrome the gun, you won't be sorry.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    +1 on the Hard Chrome; I do that to all my carry guns, for the cost it is the best finish you can put on a gun. Back in 1993, Virgil Tripp hard chromed my .38 super open gun and I proceeded to put more than 150,000 rounds through that gun over the next 10 years. The only thing I replaced on that gun besides springs was an extractor and a Compensator, which I shot out around 110,000 rounds. The gun still locked up like a bank vault when I sold it to an entry-level shooter in 2003 when I left USPSA for good.

I say hard chrome the gun, you won't be sorry.....
    I agree 100%! Try Accurate Plating & Weaponry. Bob and his crew will do you right. They worked over a BHP for me and hard chromed it with the brushed finish which looks exactly like stainless. Finish was fantastic. Sold it like an idiot but had another already.

New Page 1 You WILL NOT be sorry!
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

With the extortionist prices UPS and FedEx charge for shipping guns, shipping unfortunately is a cost-driver in the investment of re-finishing a gun. On top of that, you don't want to hand your gun to just any yokel who says he's got a hot blueing tank. Results, and reputation, do count.

With a gun that I care about, I'd be seriously on the fence about dealing with a no-name. That issue goes away if you rely on sources like Robar or APW. I've seen work done by both firms, and it's simply beyond reproach. If you're fortunate enough to live close to one or the other, you should have complete confidence in the outcome of the refinishing work.

If you're not sure which finish to choose, pick up the phone and call these firms! They are not so big that you can't talk to a human being, and chances are you'll speak with a real gun-person who knows which end is up, with respect to our needs.

"Out of sight = out of mind," and I had forgotten about Bob Cogan's APW. Glad that Sportsterguy sent up that flare.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links