1911 in a .40 cal?

1911 in a .40 cal?

This is a discussion on 1911 in a .40 cal? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is there a decent 1911 in a .40? I have been looking in gunbroker and the like, and cannot find one. Does it exist? Sorry ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1911 in a .40 cal?

Is there a decent 1911 in a .40? I have been looking in gunbroker and the like, and cannot find one. Does it exist? Sorry for a possible stupid question, but im not much of a 1911 guy...yet.

EDIT: Why do I want it in a .40 and not a .45? I have access to lots and lots of .40 ammo...seemed like a good reason to me.
    Last edited by basher052; December 20th, 2009 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Forgot to add a qualifier.
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

JD
    Administrator
    Yes, STI and Dan Wesson for single stacks. Para Ordnance makes one full size/double stack .40.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Colt made the Defender in 40 for one year I believe. I have one, very nice.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Springfield EMP?

Springfield, Kimber, Dan Wesson, STI, Fusion. Lots of Options. You could even custom make your own if you want.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Springfield EMP in .40 is a nice one. I have one and, though expensive, it is worth it.

I'm also looking at a 1911 by kimber in .40 cal, I like to keep my calibers the same. It's the ultra carry II but MY gun shop says they make very few of them in .40 but they can order one for me, a late chrismas present for myself! Here is a picture
    Kimber Ultra Carry Compact Pistol Reviews Forum and Reference Guide
    When SHTF I don't call 911, I call 1911
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
    Kimber ultra carry II stainless steel
    HK uspc

Quote Originally Posted by twojs View Post
    Springfield EMP in .40 is a nice one. I have one and, though expensive, it is worth it.
    I was looking at them online. I like the looks, but I have found several reviews listing problems. Then again, im not sure how old those threads and reviews are.

Whats the capacity of the clips on the EMP?
    Andy
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by basher052 View Post
    I was looking at them online. I like the looks, but I have found several reviews listing problems. Then again, im not sure how old those threads and reviews are.

Whats the capacity of the clips on the EMP?
    From their Website: 8rds.

Quote Originally Posted by noonan View Post
    I'm also looking at a 1911 by kimber in .40 cal, I like to keep my calibers the same. It's the ultra carry II but MY gun shop says they make very few of them in .40 but they can order one for me, a late chrismas present for myself! Here is a picture
    Kimber Ultra Carry Compact Pistol Reviews Forum and Reference Guide
    Thats a good looking gun . I noticed the $800 price tag, but im guessing that is the entry level model. Curious what that guy paid for the Raptor version.
    Andy

I had BARSTO make me a barrel for my Delta Elite because I had a source for 40 cal ammo. Then end ended up getting a Glock 22 while looking a another gun.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    I had BARSTO make me a barrel for my Delta Elite because I had a source for 40 cal ammo. Then end ended up getting a Glock 22 while looking a another gun.
    I started this whole adventure looking solidly at the G23. But after reading a post that JD put up in a thread http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-question.html, I decided to look at the 1911. Here is the quote that got me heading in that direction (and thanks JD)

Another interesting “safety feature” of the M1911 was first observed by Massad Ayoob. In the event that a bad guy might get your gun away from you, confusion about the controls of the cocked and locked M1911 could cause him enough hesitation to give you a chance to either get the gun back or flee. The current generation of thugs have cut their teeth on double action semi-autos and revolvers and many do not know how the M1911 operates. Ayoob tested this with people who were unfamiliar with pistols by giving them unloaded pistols of various designs and measuring how long it took them to figure out the controls and make the hammer drop. The M1911 proved to be considerably slower to fire than double action guns in the hands of those who are unfamiliar with the gun.
    That might just give you/me the slight edge we need in a bad situation. It actually makes more sense than anything I have read regarding gun selection. Most BG's have played with the Glock/Sig/M&P ect. Makes sense to me.
    Andy

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by basher052 View Post
    I started this whole adventure looking solidly at the G23. But after reading a post that JD put up in a thread http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-question.html, I decided to look at the 1911. Here is the quote that got me heading in that direction (and thanks JD)

That might just give you/me the slight edge we need in a bad situation. It actually makes more sense than anything I have read regarding gun selection. Most BG's have played with the Glock/Sig/M&P ect. Makes sense to me.
    Well, if you started off looking at polymer, be advised that the Smith&Wesson M&P is available with a thumb safety and will come in way under in cost than a "proper" 1911 in .40.

Oh, regarding the Kimbers in .40, stay away from them, VERY far away from them. The two worst Kimbers I had were .40s.

Colt used to make 1911s in .40, but they do not at make them anymore. I've seen the Defender and Gov't model in .40, but never a Colt Commander (doesn't mean that there isn't one, just that it's up there with the white buffalo in terms of rarity) in .40.

My first handgun was a Para P16-40 and before Para narrowed down their selection you could get a double stack .40 in all three sizes.

Oh, all thanks for that article should go to SlimJim who originally posted it here, I'm not sure where he found it.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Well, if you started off looking at polymer, be advised that the Smith&Wesson M&P is available with a thumb safety and will come in way under in cost than a "proper" 1911 in .40.

Oh, regarding the Kimbers in .40, stay away from them, VERY far away from them. The two worst Kimbers I had were .40s.

Colt used to make 1911s in .40, but they do not at make them anymore. I've seen the Defender and Gov't model in .40, but never a Colt Commander (doesn't mean that there isn't one, just that it's up there with the white buffalo in terms of rarity) in .40.

My first handgun was a Para P16-40 and before Para narrowed down their selection you could get a double stack .40 in all three sizes.

Oh, all thanks for that article should go to SlimJim who originally posted it here, I'm not sure where he found it.
    Sorry, ment to mention that you re-posted the article

OK, so the 1911 in the flavor of a .40 will be a limited choice is what I am finding out. So if I were to go with a .45 in a compact weapon, would you recommend the Para Warthog?
    Andy

I almost bought one of the Springfield EMPs when I got my Kimber. It was in 40, and appeared to be a fine piece of equipment. I especially liked the integral feed ramp. I did not like the seriously high amount of pressure needed to rack the slide.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links